Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate

autoIT versus autohotkey

• Please log in to reply
291 replies to this topic
  • Guests
  • Last active:

case and might lead to a change, and not of just any bumbling bum who happens to come along, especially one who doesn't even have a name.

Oh, I have a name. You gave me one: bumbling bum. Thanks for bashing again, although I never said something against you guys and/or AHK. But never mind, I'm almost gone and leave you guys alone with your bitterness and complacency!!

• Guests
  • Last active:

Oh, I have a name. You gave me one: bumbling bum.

Speak for yourself!! I am a guest too you know.

BoBo
  • Guests
  • Last active:

and leave you guys alone with your bitterness and complacency

Hihi :lol:

daonlyfreez
  • Members
  • 995 posts
  • Last active: Jan 23 2013 08:16 AM
:x Now I think this issue is indeed thru...

:? Well, almost maybe...

:( I had hoped that the emphasis would have been more on galantry 8) than on details though :cry:.

:) "Guest" did make a point, the subject is partially fuzzy, still might be if looked at, but clear in most parts too.

:?: What to do? Is it necessary to do something? As stated by others already: the "issue" (if it is one) is between the developers.

:idea: Maybe Chris can someday give his 'final' word on this, because it is indeed kind of absurd the users are discussing this.
Posted Image mirror 1mirror 2mirror 3ahk4.me • PM or Posted Image

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:

Maybe Chris can someday give his 'final' word on this, because it is indeed kind of absurd the users are discussing this.

This topic is rather long now, so it's easy to miss what I said earlier, namely:

Although I believe the source code already complies with both the letter and spirit of the GPL, I'll amend the relevant code sections to indicate the original AutoIt copyright line.

This change has been in effect since v1.0.38.

• Guests
  • Last active:

Chris, I think your changes are pretty fair! I guess that's enough credits.

brunob
  • Guests
  • Last active:
hello, thanks for your answers to the original question. I am amased how much reaction i got, although i realize i woke up sleeping ghosts. in the meantime i started using AHK a bit and it works...just fine, i think i will tune all my daily computer activities with this script : connecting to internet, read mails, write weekreports.... so i can be surfing the internet for half of the week instead of doing my bloody job. 8)

• Guests
  • Last active:

connecting to internet, read mails, write weekreports.... so i can be surfing the internet for half of the week instead of doing my bloody job. 8)

good for you! keep up the good work and keep posting your progress!

AHKnow*
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Since this topic got a bit off track by "guests" requesting that AutoHotkey give even more credit to AutoIt, while not realizing how much code in AutoHotkey is NOT from AutoIt too. Related to that is such "guests" not realizing that AutoIt owes a lot to ScriptIt and WinBatch...

I know this may not be politically correct to state, but I've noticed something interesting between using AutoHotkey and AutoIt.

Solving problems with AutoHotkey is often easier, simpler, and more intuitive than AutoIt. Even if I have an AutoIt and AutoHotkey script doing the same thing, it is often the AutoHotkey script that is easier to understand or was easier to come up with. Though, AutoIt's COM/OLE/ActiveX abilities gives it some major advantages is specific areas, minus this, I've noticed numerous other little things that give AutoHotkey the advantage. For many automation tasks, I've noticed that AutoHotkey is the better choice. If AutoHotkey ever comes out with its own version of COM/OLE/ActiveX, though you can use VBscript/JScript with AutoHotkey, I think AutoHotkey will really dominate its competition.

For some reason, AutoHotkey is a bit Javascript-ish, and I've found this to be a good thing. If anything, I think AutoHotkey should use Javascript/JScript/JScript.NET as a reference for syntax. I think the future of VBScript and VBA is in danger due to mass changes in VB.NET and how many people using VB.NET are switching to C#. Javascript, JScript, JScript.NET, etc... still has a strong future. Overall, I think it was a bit of a mistake for AutoIt to become so Visual Basic-like, though this could be seen as a plus/minus scenario.

Anyway... Oddly, after a while, I've found its easy to even just use plain Notepad to write up all kinds of AutoHotkey scripts. With AutoIt, without the super advanced SciTe AutoIt version editor, using AutoIt in Notepad is like murder.

Its the modified SciTe editor and all the user scripts being packaged with it that makes AutoIt "appear" user friendly, while its AutoHotkey's syntax that makes it easy to use. I think the simplicity and power of AutoHotkey's syntax should not be overlooked.

I also think that as AutoHotkey becomes a little bit more powerful (and if it ever does COM/OLE/ActiveX) that it will become even more popular.

• Guests
  • Last active:

wouldn't it be easier to create 1 and same language ?

2) yes. ask the AutoIt-community to drop their app

Yes, I agree with you. I tried it and it was an ugly time with lots of pain and suffering. It made me crazy.

No Autohotkey is a piece of crap.

toralf
  • Moderators
  • 4035 posts
  • Last active: Aug 20 2014 04:23 PM

No Autohotkey is a piece of crap.

What are your reasons to say this? Have you tried AHK? For how long? Do you have comparison to other script languages?

What were you trying to do with AHK? Because you might be right, since AHK might not be designed to support your specific task. So let us know were you had problems to get to an solution with AHK.
Ciao
toralf

I use the latest AHK version (1.1.15+)
Please ask questions in forum on ahkscript.org. Why?
For online reference please use these Docs.

BoBo
  • Guests
  • Last active:
AHK has obviously made it to become no.1 in the category of AUT's communities "Most Hated Apps". Seen from a positive perspective it's another AHK success story as only good/competitive apps are worth a statement at all.
So today's nominee for the "Intellectual Statement Award": 1. Thx, mate :wink:

Jonathan Bennett must be proud to have such supporters. :lol:

corrupt
  • Members
  • 2558 posts
  • Last active: Nov 01 2014 03:23 PM

So today's nominee for the "Intellectual Statement Award": 1. Thx, mate :wink:

I second the nomination for: # 1 talking about # 2 :lol:

AHKdude
  • Guests
  • Last active:
OR just install both! :lol:

(nobody you know)
  • Guests
  • Last active:
HiHi.

Maybe Chris can someday give his 'final' word on this, because it is indeed kind of absurd the users are discussing this.

This topic is rather long now, so it's easy to miss what I said earlier, namely:

Although I believe the source code already complies with both the letter and spirit of the GPL, I'll amend the relevant code sections to indicate the original AutoIt copyright line.

@Criss

Don't you think the "Spirit of the GPL" refers to something else other than just complying to its rules.!

ByeBye.
(First, and only, post of a general AutoIt user)