Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate

AHK in Linux?

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic
  • Guests
  • Last active:
The .NET framework is patented, and is not licensed for use on Linux. That is one of the prevalent evils of .NET ever since its inception.

segalion
  • Guests
  • Last active:
There are two aproximations in linux:

ldpt. Firts of all, oriented to auomated testing tool, but now to real scripting...
http://ldtp.freedesktop.org/wiki/Home
It has similar functions to autohotkey i.e. http://ldtp.freedesk...doc/window.html

dogtail. More recent but maybe more opened (phyton modulable)
http://people.redhat...tail/index.html

All of then tends to use phyton as natural language scripting.

Dutchguy69
  • Guests
  • Last active:
I'm really interested in the hotkey functionality of AHK on linux. I'm using it on windows and now I'm switching to linux and really miss that functionality. So far the only utility I have found is kbd-mangler but then I need to recompile my kernel and I don't really want to do that. Has anyone else seen similar kind of utilities than can replace certain input from the keyboard by something different.

Veovis
  • Members
  • 389 posts
  • Last active: Mar 17 2009 12:24 AM
Actually, most of you probably didn't notice, but i disappeared from the forums many months ago. The reason for my disappearance was because I made the switch to Linux (Ubuntu feisty) and haven't touched windows since (other than games of course). I have noticed that some of the gui functionality of AHK works under wine, but hotkeys (and even the sleep command) complain of unimplemented features of wine. It would be possible to implement those features into wine, but that seems to much like a workaround to me. A better option would perhaps be to maybe carry the gui over on wine (maybe converting it to boost or something in the future) but the hotkeys would have to be built for linux.
Posted Image
"Power can be given overnight, but responsibility must be taught. Long years go into its making."

ChalamiuS
  • Moderators
  • 176 posts
  • Last active:
Well im running Ubuntu Gusty Gibbon (7.10)
and most of my scripts work :) and that answers any questions about my signature 8)
but i havent tested every single command in AHK so i dont know if all of it works but it works for me ^^ (as it says above not hotkeys :/)
but this script was made in Linux :)
Menu Maker
EDIT: Sleep function works for me :DDDDD

Veovis
  • Members
  • 389 posts
  • Last active: Mar 17 2009 12:24 AM
I don't know what i did wrong last time but sleep works for me now. I think that i will do a (mostly) comprehensive study to see what works and what doesn't.

I actually just upgraded to Ubuntu/Kubuntu Gutsy (currently in KDE) a couple days ago.

Interesting script. It gives an idea for an IDE like program. Have a list of labels and hotkeys on the left side and when you select them you see the code that they contain. And then if you integrated that with SmartGui Creator and a built in AHK help, you get an AHK IDE.
Posted Image
"Power can be given overnight, but responsibility must be taught. Long years go into its making."

ChalamiuS
  • Moderators
  • 176 posts
  • Last active:
Always glad to help :D or give people ideas :)
EDIT:
Please comment it on the script page :p :lol:

polyethene
  • Members
  • 5519 posts
  • Last active: May 17 2015 06:39 AM

The .NET framework is patented, and is not licensed for use on Linux. That is one of the prevalent evils of .NET ever since its inception.

Don't you have Mono?

autohotkey.com/net Site Manager

Contact me by email (polyethene at autohotkey.net) or message tidbit

ChalamiuS
  • Moderators
  • 176 posts
  • Last active:

Interesting script. It gives an idea for an IDE like program. Have a list of labels and hotkeys on the left side and when you select them you see the code that they contain. And then if you integrated that with SmartGui Creator and a built in AHK help, you get an AHK IDE.

Well why dont we make one :D
Lets make one :shock:

silkcom
  • Guests
  • Last active:
I agree. If we can get some people who know what they are doing, let's port this thing to linux. Ya, it will take work, but it took work to write autohotkey in the first place. The ability to use scripts from Autohotkey is the important part.

I'm willing to help if we find people who know what they are doing in linux.

David Andersson
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • Last active: Jun 12 2011 06:57 PM
I'm with ahk_fan and Tarch on this.

Linux, and unix in general, does not need all the things AHK does. AHK does two relatively different things: a) GUI: intercept/generate key/mouse events and navigate windows/menues/buttons, and B) sysadm (in lack of a better word): read/write/rename files and directories, convert file formats and interact with web sites.

In *nix, the sysadm part is already soo very well provided for. Python, bash, perl, etc, very powerful and very general. In the "Ask for help" section I see AHK scripts suggested to solve problems involving moving files around, parsing some text and getting a page from the internet. I want to scream, No, install Cygwin and use 'wget' and 'awk' instead. Can I post that as an alternative solution? No, not in an AHK specific forum. That would not be polite.

I can understand, to a degree, that one wants to continue programming in a scripting language one is familiar with. But I'll argue, for scripting and automation, the existing tools in *nix are well worth learning.

Regarding the other part that AHK is good at: hotkeys etc, I am not aware of a counterpart in *nix, that can do all the same things. You can remap keys in xkeymap and define hotkeys in the popular desktops, but only for single keys and simple key combinations. (As far as I know)

tinkumd
  • Guests
  • Last active:
perl x11::guitest

bdwelle
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Last active: Nov 27 2007 12:50 AM
I am running Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon and when I download the AutoHotKey installer (linked from http://www.autohotkey.com/download/Auto ... nstall.exe) and run it with WINE, the installer gets about 3/4 of the way through and then crashes the OS and returns me to the OS login screen.

Since AHK is listed as Platinum I was expecting to be able to install it fairly easily... Can anyone help me out?

thx

BoBo¨
  • Guests
  • Last active:
What about to contact Vit Hrachovy, the guy who has recommended/tested it !?

ahk in linux
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Is there any tool in linux that can expand abbr.