Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate

AHK in Linux?

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic
  • Guests
  • Last active:

Is there any tool in linux that can expand abbr.

*nix text editors have done this for years, I believe the functionality originate in the unix world.

In Gedit, enable the snippets plugin.
In Vim or Emacs, lookup the documentation for abbreviations.

• Guests
  • Last active:
I just managed to get a proof of concept app written for Linux and X11 using python-xlib that replicates the hotstring functionality. This is so rough, that I really don't even recommend that anyone bother with it unless they know python. However it demonstrates that it's possible:

http://ubuntuforums....ad.php?t=675753

It wouldn't be all that hard (conceptully) to write a program that would at least have a rough compatibility with AHK files.

It would be a lot of work though.

Basically, you'd have to write a parser for the ahk language (not hard if you have the AHK BNF grammer). Then you'd have to create equivalents for all of the commands listed here:

http://www.autohotke...cs/commands.htm

I'm pretty sure it would be possible to write Linux equivalents of every function there, with the exception of the stuff that modifies the controls and menus in windows.

Basically it'd almost be like a mini wine project. Those folks went and wrote Linux equivalents for the entire Win32 API. This would be a much easier project in comparison, but it would be a lot of work.

I'd be willing to help with a project like this, but I don't think I'd have the wear-withall to head it.

• Guests
  • Last active:
project has a new url
http://peabody.weeman.org/autokey.html

Playboy
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Someone needs to make this work. AHK ON A LINUX BUILD. I would pee all over myself,

THANK 8) YOU

John W
  • Members
  • 172 posts
  • Last active: Mar 07 2009 05:40 PM
I'm porting AHK to linux systems, but it'll take some time until I'm finished.
COMPLETELY INACTIVE - I do not use AHK anymore.

• Guests
  • Last active:

I'm porting AHK to linux systems, but it'll take some time until I'm finished.

sounds exciting, I'd willing to help, do have a sourceforge page or some such?

John W
  • Members
  • 172 posts
I don't have a page, but I think I don't need help, and I don't have internet access all the time, but it'll be ready soon.
But it's nice to hear that people want to help :D .

Obie
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  • Last active: Feb 02 2008 12:35 PM
Hello JohnW,

Please let us know when you have this AHK replacement for Linux.
It is the only app that is really missing in Linux.

GoTTsProfeT
  • Members
  • 67 posts
  • Last active: Oct 10 2008 05:56 AM
on linux (if your runing a major distro such as fedora)
open up a command prompt (forget what its called in Linux)
type the following command
"yum wine"
it will install a windows emulator
then just download autohotkey
it will run as usual however things like
sound and video functions wont work, but that what i have done.

ChalamiuS
  • Moderators
  • 176 posts
  • Last active:
emoyasha we all know thats possible but someone is trying to make the whole AHK enviroment work not just some of its functions :D
*Edit:
Just a little question did you even read the prev pages ?
Lots of us have tried Wine and I even tried CrossOver they are not complete enough to make ahk work completly

John W
  • Members
  • 172 posts
People, I have a problem: All work is lost - my computer has gone crazy and deleted my home-directory.
I have to restart at zero, but at time - I don't have much time.
Could anyone else host the project at sourceforge or elsewhere?
Then I could enter the project as soon as I have time.

jeffrey296
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • Last active: Dec 22 2008 10:57 PM
I thought I'd reopen this post so some ppl might respond to John. I would host it, but I've got like a million other unfinished projects going on and I don't know enough about AHk or writing Linux crap to really head something like this. I really like the prospect and advise someone to head this. John, what knowledge do you specifically need for this kind of project? If I can do some research I might be willing to head up the project.
Jeff

John W
  • Members
  • 172 posts
Thanks, jeff.
We need people who can programme the functions, then we just need to put everything together - and we have ahk for linux. Sounds simple but it can be difficult to write different functions which can be used in window, too (like RegRead, RegWrite, ...).
But of course we can try to do it this way - then AHKLinux is programmed the usual way - everyone does, what everyone can do. Great!

Post a link here to the site, so we know where to go.
We should make a new thread with information to the project (it should be sticky then).

jeffrey296
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • Last active: Dec 22 2008 10:57 PM
Ok... let me clarify. I don't know what programming language you're programming this in. I also don't know how to create Linux applications. I'm willing to learn, but if it's gonna be worthless for me to try to help when starting from scratch, then let me know now. I also cannot head up the project with my knowledge, so I can't post a link right now. I'd have to learn first. In other words, my main question is: what language are you building this in?
Thanks.
Jeff

John W
  • Members
  • 172 posts
In C++, what else?
I have Tutorials in german only, but if you search youll find! 8)

Look here for a list of german tutorials to C++:
http://www.online-tu... ... -1-58.html