Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

USB HID Emulator

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic
mehere
  • Members
  • 22 posts
  • Last active: Sep 29 2009 04:12 AM
Hello,

I have searched all over the forums and I haven't been able to find this.

What I'd like to know is there anyone working on a USB HID Emulator to allow a computer to emulate HID devices.

I did find the fantastic project at:
<!-- m -->http://www.autohotke... ... hlight=hid<!-- m -->

However this seems to be the opposite of what I'm looking for.

Basically I want to be able to emulate simple HIDs like a Keyboard and Mouse so that one computer can send mouse and keyboard events to a second computer over USB so that the second computer thinks that it has a regular mouse and keyboard attached.

Here is an example of a HID Keyboard emulator in a different languange:
<!-- m -->http://www.sfcompile... ... IDKeyboard<!-- m -->

If anyone here knows of a project like this in AHK I would be prepared to help develop it.

Thank you

Leef_me
  • Moderators
  • 8510 posts
  • Last active: Sep 10 2015 05:50 AM
Wow mehere,

Thanks for the links, I especially hadn't seen anything of the latter and I regularly use a relative of that chip. :)

I haven't seen any development or discussion on that concept.

Other than proof of concept, what reason would one have to need such a thing?
It seems like trying to get a monkey to operate a computer with the screen turned off. 8)

leef_me

mehere
  • Members
  • 22 posts
Hi Leef_me,

You pretty much summed it up correctly - a Keybaord and Mouse HID emulation would allow you to send mouse and keyboard events to operate another computer.

Basically I'm trying to develop a low cost alternative to this type of product:
<!-- m -->http://www.epiphan.c...abbers/kvm2usb/<!-- m -->

I already have the screen grabbing part of the problem sovled, now I just need to be able to control the mouse and keyboard.

Basically I'm looking to create a KVM solution for keyboard and mouse that uses a PC for input rather than actual devices.

The reason for this approach is twofold:
1. To enable controlling a computer without installing anything on the controlled computer
2. To prevent the controoled computer from knowing that it might be being accessed remotely

By doing it this way you ensure the controlled computer behaves exactly as it would if a real keyboard and mouse were connected directly to it.

Of course, Autohotkey makes it very easy to send mouse and keyboard events once I've found a way of actually sending them.

Leef_me
  • Moderators
  • 8510 posts
  • Last active: Sep 10 2015 05:50 AM
Whoa :shock: I hadn't seen one of these before, thanks.

Are you the propmaster on Oceans 15 ?

2. To prevent the controoled computer from knowing that it might be being accessed remotely
By doing it this way you ensure the controlled computer behaves exactly as it would if a real keyboard and mouse were connected directly to it.

Some older computers don't take kindly to changing the PS/2 things

Some newer computers don't mind the changing, but I think the all report the change to the O.S. so you may have changed things. Even USB type HIDs change things.

You HAVE to have some low level device to do the PS/2 or USB interations. Some versions of the chip allow rs-232 serial port control.

Just remember, you need electrical isolation or your laptop could be toast.

Leef_me

mehere
  • Members
  • 22 posts

Whoa :shock: I hadn't seen one of these before, thanks.

No problem - in fact I'm quite suprised there aren't more products like this around - if you've ever seen the "Shopping Trolly" solutions in some server rooms then you'd know what I mean.

Are you the propmaster on Oceans 15 ?

If that's a job staring in a movie with George Clunely then I'll take it :)

Some older computers don't take kindly to changing the PS/2 things

Some newer computers don't mind the changing, but I think the all report the change to the O.S. so you may have changed things. Even USB type HIDs change things.

You HAVE to have some low level device to do the PS/2 or USB interations. Some versions of the chip allow rs-232 serial port control.

Just remember, you need electrical isolation or your laptop could be toast.

This is why I want the emulation to be effectively indistinguishable from an actual device, any slight changes will certainly influence the controlled computer's behaviour a lot less than installing additional communications software or drivers on it.

Sometimes you also have situations where you might have an employee who's security clearance is such that you're happy for them to work on your boxes, but not to give them permission to install lower level software.
This usually occures on graveyard shifts.

Your point about isolation is a good one - that's why I'm trying to get some hardware like this:
<!-- m -->http://www.centrilli...Products/UsbDE/<!-- m -->

If only manufactures would ever respond to emails or put useful information like prices on their websites - I swear most of them are still in the early 90s where they think the web is a place to put a copy of your static brochure that is at least 6 months out of date.

engunneer
  • Moderators
  • 9162 posts
  • Last active: Sep 12 2014 10:36 PM
you can't plug one USB host into another USB host. The USB spec doesn't work that way.

you need some kind of device in between.

mehere
  • Members
  • 22 posts

you can't plug one USB host into another USB host. The USB spec doesn't work that way.

you need some kind of device in between.

Thanks, I understand that.

This is why I'm also looking for a HID emulator like this
<!-- m -->http://www.centrilli...Products/UsbDE/<!-- m -->

This company doesn't seem to be very responsive though.

Do you know of any?

mehere
  • Members
  • 22 posts
Thanks for the replies, after talking with a couple of hardware suppliers I'm probably going to go with COM - PS/2 ports instead of USB.

Neverlevel
  • Members
  • 268 posts
  • Last active: May 05 2019 10:20 AM
have you tried Teamviewer? i dont know exactly what your trying to do but that lets me take over my computer from anywhere as long as i have internet

mehere
  • Members
  • 22 posts

have you tried Teamviewer? i dont know exactly what your trying to do but that lets me take over my computer from anywhere as long as i have internet

Thanks for the suggestion - I am aware of many solutions for remote operation of computers.

This is a special case where we want to control a computer using ONLY the mouse and keyboard for the reasons I gave above.

There is one commerical solution which I also linked to above, but it can only control a single computer.

I now have the basic hardwared needed with the ability to rapidly switch between multiple receiving PCs - just working on the software side of things now.

In case anyone reading this thread is interested, here is the hardware for converting RS-232 ASCII into USB or PS/2 Keyboard data
<!-- m -->http://www.vetra.com/Convert2.htm<!-- m -->

tdcrone
  • Guests
  • Last active:
I was looking for the same. I found the below project, in Python, that is not quite what you want but is an interesting foundation. I have not tried it myself yet.

http://code.google.com/p/hidemulator/

mehere
  • Members
  • 22 posts
Thanks for that link - had a quick look and it looks like he's got a basic starting framework there.

For now I ended up buying an 'off the shelf' mouse and keyboard emulator for testing purposes - we'll worry about developing our own systems after we've got the more important parts of the project done.

MasterFocus
  • Moderators
  • 4323 posts
  • Last active: Jan 28 2016 01:38 AM
EventGhost may be of your interest as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Antonio Fran├ža -- git.io -- github.com -- ahk4.net -- sites.google.com -- ahkscript.org

Member of the AHK community since 08/Apr/2009. Moderator since mid-2012.

sullx
  • Guests
  • Last active:
I too am looking for a solution like this. Like the OP, I want to be able to control the mouse and keyboard of a computer with another computer. So, for instance, I would be able to connect computer A to computer B and run a macro program on computer A that would automate the keyboard and mouse movements of computer B, with computer B never knowing it was being controlled by a macro (for all it is receiving is HID input).

Sorry to resurrect and old thread but I am hoping some others can shed more light on this question.

jackal329
  • Guests
  • Last active:
I need this as well!