Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate

OK to sell?

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic
Thalon
  • Members
  • 641 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2017 12:17 PM
I might be wrong and I'm no lawyer, but if someone posts his code into the forum he does give the permission to use it. If he wants to restrict this in any way (e.g. only non-commercial) I would expect an explicit restriction.

Maybe chris should add the default-case into terms of use or description of the scripts-forum?

Thalon

• Guests
  • Last active:

...but if someone posts his code into the forum he does give the permission to use it.

...I said I didn't want my code in a for-profit script...I'm all about open source & stuff, but no one should make MONEY on a script/code that hasn't made me money...so people should use it, then cut a check...they wouldn't've been able to "sell" their software without the code from the forum, so pay up...so maybe the "default case" should be, if you use forum code for-profit, contact the owner of the code & offer to PayPal or something for making money off it...

BoBo¨
  • Guests
  • Last active:

If he wants to restrict this in any way (e.g. only non-commercial) I would expect an explicit restriction.

I'd doubt that scenario. As long as it's not obviously allowed/announced/stated that the software is free its restricted.

A similar scenario. Check out if there's a plate "No parking on this track". If not, park your car on that main track of your local railway because there's obviously no restriction which won't allow it. Wait till the next train arrives. If it takes to long, go for a beer. I promiss somebody will care about your car. And I bet that you'll get an official advise that it won't need an obvious/explicit statement to be restricted. Prove me wrong. 8)

Lexikos
  • Administrators
  • 9844 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active:

I might be wrong and I'm no lawyer, but if someone posts his code into the forum he does give the permission to use it.

I can agree with that statement if and only if it is limited to personal use. No point posting a script if you don't want people to use it. There's also a difference between "using" and "copying." Also,

Absence of a copyright notice does not mean that the work is not covered by copyright. The creator of an original work instantaneously possesses its copyright when that work is created through "mental labor" and "fixed" in tangible form. Thus, a natural copyright exists from the time a work is invented or created, regardless of whether it has been registered with a particular Copyright Office.

This is basically reflected in the Australian Copyright Act, which is definitely law here in Australia... See also the Berne Convention, which applies internationally.

so maybe the "default case" should be, if you use forum code for-profit, contact the owner of the code & offer to PayPal or something for making money off it...

How 'bout a reversal... Contact the author and gain permission before using the script in a for-profit situation.

BoBo", as usual thinking up entertaining analogies. :lol:

Sean
  • Members
  • 2462 posts
  • Last active: Feb 07 2012 04:00 AM
I haven't thought about it seriously, however, I've been tending to be against my codes being used for a profit.

BoBo¨
  • Guests
  • Last active:

I've been tending to be against my codes being used for a profit.

I'm not that strict. If the outcome of your genius isn't used to stabilize a Dictatorship, or to manufature weapons or anything which could harm people, you/or someone else should keep in mind that any positive effect eg. to create revenue which means paying taxes used to "sponsor" kindergardens/schools/etc. makes sense.

Somebody in outer space has decided to send you to this tiny planet to share your wisdom for the sake of mankind. So why not share it, and feel comfortable with it 8)

majkinetor
  • Moderators
  • 4512 posts
  • Last active: May 20 2019 07:41 AM
Somebody in outer space ?
Has decided ?
O Your God :shock:

Whats next BoBo ? Love & happines in entire world ? :?

When are you going to realse that there is nobody in outer space, at least nobody that cares about AutoHotKey. The things that some people did here are because they worked very hard. You can have that wisdom too, talent makes a difference in sophistication but thats just one part of the creation. So, selling somebodies work without permission is not nice thing. Its equal to stealing.
Posted Image

AHKnow
  • Members
  • 121 posts
  • Last active: May 17 2009 09:11 PM
I think if you don't want somebody to use your code than you should not share it or close the source.

Another point is that many successful scripts/programs were inspired or took parts from other scripts/programs. Then when the author has something special/unique they want to close the code and not share with anybody else. I don't think that is in the spirit of fairness either. Its a bit hypocritical to get angry at others using parts of your code that you got from somebody else.

If you share or keep the source code open, than I think to a certain extent you have to be willing to allow others to use it for profit. As the author of code that you are freely sharing, your philosophy would have to be different than somebody out to make a profit.

BoBo¨
  • Guests
  • Last active:

So, selling somebodies work without permission is not nice thing.

Confirmed. My argmument was about ~ "tending to be against [my] codes being used for a profit" - in general.
Eg. if the profit would be made by Amnesty International - and used to free (serbian/mazedonian/bosnian/croatian/...) people from political arresting, I'd be fine. 8)

Whats next BoBo ? Love & happines in entire world ?

You got it. Let's start with Kosovo ! 8)

majkinetor
  • Moderators
  • 4512 posts

Eg. if the profit would be made by Amnesty International - and used to free (serbian/mazedonian/bosnian/croatian/...) people from political arresting, I'd be fine.

I didn't know we are in Santa's world now !

You got it. Let's start with Kosovo !

Lets start with first good looking girl on the street and we can talk about Kosovo never.
Posted Image

BoBo¨
  • Guests
  • Last active:

Lets start with first good looking girl on the street

I didn't know we are in Santa's world now ! :D

majkinetor
  • Moderators
  • 4512 posts
rofl
Posted Image

Thalon
  • Members
  • 641 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2017 12:17 PM

So, selling somebodies work without permission is not nice thing. Its equal to stealing.

Yes, but doesn't a user give his permission to use his code when posting it?
He would have the option to compile it for "use as is", so if he posts the source I'm allowed to use it for my own programms and if there are no further restrictions I should be able to even sell it.

But yes, asking for allowance is the most sure thing :)

Thalon

Zer07even
  • Members
  • 19 posts
  • Last active: Dec 01 2009 08:32 AM
the question now then would be can the AHK decompiler give you the ahk source code of apps written in C++? I have tried to check it out myself but I dont come right

m^2
  • Members
  • 100 posts
  • Last active: Mar 01 2011 09:31 AM

the question now then would be can the AHK decompiler give you the ahk source code of apps written in C++? I have tried to check it out myself but I dont come right

No. :D
Ahk "compiler" actually embeds source code into a stub that interprets it in runtime. That's why you can get it. Usual compilers translate source code into machine code, no way to retrieve it directly.

Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security.