Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

HotkeyCamo [0.65.14b] AutoHotkey Basic Compile Wrapper

• Please log in to reply
186 replies to this topic
AnotherGuest
  • Guests
  • Last active:

so succinct that its not even proper english

You can't expect anyone to talk english perfectly, if you don't like the application, because it's closed source, fine, nobody forces you to use this!

Just think about it - this application is meant to make your apps more secure, or better said, your 'compiled' source.

If it's source is now released, what could people do? Exactly! They'd be able to write an application that decompiles apps that are protected by HotKeyCamo.

It'd be stupid if he'd release the source, 'cause what's the benefit of an open source executable protector?!

He even said, that he'd collaborate with people if they ask him (and they're qualified enough)...

I for one appreciate this application and that he put so much time in this project, if you don't, use your time for better things than flaming around!

Regards.

Mobius
  • Members
  • 97 posts
  • Last active: Jul 31 2015 01:53 PM

looking forward to the dll version too :D

a new version with support for newer OS and 64bit would be nice too.
i can run this on my older pc with windows xp so its not so big of a problem for me but some people have only windows vista/7 and adding support for those too would attract more people i think

It was bugging me (in a good way :) ) ever since you first reported the vista incompatibility.

Since then I have managed to get HkC to start (for once) in vista by recompiling it to support the executable request for user mode with no virtualization, but It crashes badly upon dll interaction which is a real pain.

I am going to have to spend time with a vista box :( and knuckle down with HkC in debug mode and see if I can find the cause. (very likely my code ;))

Regarding the dll, I figured people might appreciate and use something they could hook into their own projects rather than just another spin on already existing build solutions, and if I am honest HkC without the fuzzing routines and offset map data is not too hot an example of such tools anyway.

Thanks again for your support Delusion you are right of course, although I think I have some way to go before could smash Win7 or Vista 64bit compatibility.

Mobius
  • Members
  • 97 posts

You can't expect anyone to talk english perfectly, if you don't like the application, because it's closed source, fine, nobody forces you to use this!

Just think about it - this application is meant to make your apps more secure, or better said, your 'compiled' source.

If it's source is now released, what could people do? Exactly! They'd be able to write an application that decompiles apps that are protected by HotKeyCamo.

It'd be stupid if he'd release the source, 'cause what's the benefit of an open source executable protector?!

He even said, that he'd collaborate with people if they ask him (and they're qualified enough)...

I for one appreciate this application and that he put so much time in this project, if you don't, use your time for better things than flaming around!

Regards.

Thankyou for that dude, I seriously could not have put it better myself.
Although the sad thing is that people chiming about the why's and wherefores of source release (apart from making my teeth itch) often blow the importance of source out of proportion in alot of cases, if their goal is simply to find out what a target does they need only to actually study the darn thing action for far less time (I know all too well) than it took the author to implement.

@Guest3456 This bickering (although rather fun) is ultimately pointless agreed?

MyDream
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Last active: Nov 28 2014 04:52 PM

Regards.

Yeah, dont post the source, coz Im going to implement it soon into my autohotkey scripts. If its opensource, almost all compiled exe files could be decompile or decrypt easily. :shock:

If someone is not happy about any program/tool just becoz the its closed source. He/she can always find alternative program/tool. Example, ironahk which is still in beta testing. Or better, made a private tool themselves(too bad, I still havent reach such a stage yet/capability:( ).

No need to to whine/complaint/grumble/not happy about people not releasing the source code. Theres nothing you can about it, since its their program and their choice of whether releasing the source code or not.

BTW, if posting in scripts & functions section require posting source code.
Then any mod please move it to utilities & resources section instead.

I should applaud myself for giving such a boring speech. :shock:

Sorry Mobius for posting such a long and boring post. :(

guest3456
  • Guests
  • Last active:

YOU think about it, and think past the basic "oh with the source out, then decompilers will be able to circumvent it and its useless." no shit sherlock. its the never ending cycle of security action vs reaction. but you think i'm just wasting my time flaming around?

what about this:

what is the purpose of "protecting" your source to begin with? usually because you plan on selling your software commercially and want to protect your intellectual property.

so you write your code, then you run it through this "compiler" written by some anonymous user, which does who knows what to your source, and then spits out an exe. lets say for example that this HKC compiler here attaches a rogue keylogger or other malware. then, you are feeling all safe that your source is protected, and you go ahead and release your software to the public. you start making some sales, then someone reports that youre software is stealing their passwords. OOPS, you just compiled and released software with your name and company behind it that has malware attached. angry users at best, lawsuits at worst.

of course this is all farfetched, but the possibility still exists, since no one knows what his "fuzz" consists of. thats the point. but no matter what you do in terms of security, eventually you have to put your trust in something. do you trust microsoft, do you trust mozilla, do you trust autohotkey, do you trust HotkeyCamo. i don't doubt that this software is legit, but when the author responds to legitimate queries with the attitude he has, it should give one pause.

@Guest3456 This bickering (although rather fun) is ultimately pointless agreed?

i don't think its pointless at all, unless i'm missing something blatant. but it seems you're just as stubborn as me, so its unlikely that anything will change. sorry for de-railing your thread, but i think the discussion is important nonetheless.

Mobius
  • Members
  • 97 posts

so you write your code, then you run it through this "compiler" written by some anonymous user, which does who knows what to your source, and then spits out an exe. lets say for example that this HKC compiler here attaches a rogue keylogger or other malware. then, you are feeling all safe that your source is protected, and you go ahead and release your software to the public. you start making some sales, then someone reports that youre software is stealing their passwords. OOPS, you just compiled and released software with your name and company behind it that has malware attached. angry users at best, lawsuits at worst.

of course this is all farfetched, but the possibility still exists, since no one knows what his "fuzz" consists of. thats the point. but no matter what you do in terms of security, eventually you have to put your trust in something. do you trust microsoft, do you trust mozilla, do you trust autohotkey, do you trust HotkeyCamo. i don't doubt that this software is legit, but when the author responds to legitimate queries with the attitude he has, it should give one pause.

Yo Jester,

So you call a random nobody (that would be you) popping up and chiming::

just post the source?
i dont understand why you need permission. its your own code

a legitimate query??? after you read what an asshole I was to a user with a similarly jaunty outlook?

I do not recall calling HotkeyCamo a compiler, I do recall correcting a user a couple of posts back who made a similarly glaring misuse of the word.

I said it before to you but you chose to ignore it as blather, so here it is again for you and anyone else with similar preconceptions.

My program is not packed, so if you lack the wit or the ability to download the plethora of software available to discern if a binary is malicious or not then I think it is clear you should not be using software of any kind unattended.

However by mere definition of what you posted you will not download such monitoring and interrogation tools (and learn to protect yourself) because the authors of said software have not deemed you worthy to gawp longingly at their source so you can discern if they are pwning you? (based on your dazzling charisma alone)

I am asking you to use your own skills and judgment on the content you download from the web, if you are not willing to do that then any spark of a discussion was dead long before the light hits the casual readers eyes.

i don't think its pointless at all, unless i'm missing something blatant. but it seems you're just as stubborn as me, so its unlikely that anything will change. sorry for de-railing your thread, but i think the discussion is important nonetheless.

de-rail? now you have missed something blatant. ;)

firsttimer
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Last active: Sep 05 2014 07:37 AM
Calm down everyone, this argument is getting nowhere. :)

If Mobius, doesnt want to release the soucecode, its his choice. So be it. After all its his creation. :wink:

If someone actually wanted security tool with source code. They can try ironahk instead. Look at the link below
<!-- m -->http://www.autohotke... ... ht=ironahk<!-- m -->

So now I have a private compiler and a public compiler. Wonder which one will I use first? :shock: :?:

Mobius
  • Members
  • 97 posts
Finally started to whip this project into shape, please see first post for a complete list of changes and download links.

This release should make up for the awful previous builds.

Posted Image

Respect Community

Vlad

TLM
  • Administrators
  • 3864 posts
  • Last active:
Got it :D! Will post on this vsoon. thnx

Posted Image

don't duplicate, iterate!

TLM
  • Administrators
  • 3864 posts
  • Last active:
I'm surprised theres been no other posts on this.
Is the sourcecode aval. apon request?

Posted Image

don't duplicate, iterate!

Delusion
  • Members
  • 272 posts
  • Last active: Jul 13 2014 09:04 PM
cool!
looks nice
cant wait for it :D
QuickSubs | Popcorn Movie Catalog
All my scripts are just in AutoHotkey v1.0.48.05

Mobius
  • Members
  • 97 posts

I'm surprised theres been no other posts on this.
Is the sourcecode aval. apon request?

Yeah me too, perhaps I am paying for my earlier outburst in the thread, or perhaps I misinterpreted the importance of such a tool to this community, either way I'm having a blast writing it.

No I am afraid the source is not available for many reasons, primary of those now has to do with what I intend for HotkeyCamo's future.

I would love to collaborate with people on it, who knows with time and feedback anything is possible.

cool!
looks nice
cant wait for it :D

I look forward to finding out if it works on 64 bit Vista, 32 bit passed with flying colors but I am not holding out much hope for compatibility beyond xp and vista 32.

Thanks for getting the ball rolling for extra compatibility dude :D and thank you both for all your support.

Here are the links again because the main post looks a bit crap at the mo.
HotkeyCamo 0.9.4b

HkC online help page

Morpheus
  • Members
  • 475 posts
  • Last active: Oct 21 2014 11:08 AM
Mobius - FWIW, I have been following this topic. I wouldn't call your previous post an outburst. I agree with you that it would be counter productive to post the source. Right at the moment, I don't have any source that I want to protect, But when I do, I will give this a try.

I wouldn't want you to get discouraged by a lack of resonses. :)

noise
  • Members
  • 57 posts
  • Last active: Aug 31 2018 10:16 AM
fyi. I will be using this too :)
PrimalNoise.com
It's a rock. Can't wait to tell my friends. They don't have a rock this big.

Mobius
  • Members
  • 97 posts

Mobius - FWIW, I have been following this topic. I wouldn't call your previous post an outburst. I agree with you that it would be counter productive to post the source. Right at the moment, I don't have any source that I want to protect, But when I do, I will give this a try.

I wouldn't want you to get discouraged by a lack of resonses. :)

Thanks for the encouragement Morpheus, :D

Try to ignore the whole protection side of things, HkC is starting to become a reasonably good builder in its own right.

feedback is king for better or for worse, but I wouldn't worry about too much about discouragement... not now. ;)

Respect

Vlad