Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

PPJoy - Virtual Joystick

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic
Zed Gecko
  • Members
  • 149 posts
  • Last active:

What is PPJoy?
PPJoy is a joystick device driver for Windows 2000 and later. There is also limited support for Windows 98 and Windows Me. PPJoy was designed for joysticks connected to the parallel port but it also supports other devices via the virtual joystick interface

Supported devices are:

* Joystick emulation using the keyboard or mouse

Windows will treat these devices just like any other joystick and they can be used in any game or application that accepts joystick input.
Why PPJoy?
There are lots of USB joysticks out there that are a lot less hassle to install and configure. So here is why you may want to use PPJoy:

* PPJoy is free for non-commercial use and you may already have a perfectly good controller supported by PPJoy.
* You want to emulate joystick input from another application.

PPJoy seems to be a good way to simulate Joystick-Input. It offers:
Keyboard & Mouse to Joystick translation and
a DLL to directly control the virtual Joystick.

The authors Website seems to be down, but PPJoy can still be found on variouse download-sites, e.g. http://www.simtel.ne...PJoy/75176.html
I stored it on my autohotkey.net-account to keep it availiable:
https://ahknet.autoh.../PPJoySetup.zip

BoBo³
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Thx for sharing. Much appreciated 8)

ninjabob7
  • Members
  • 4 posts
  • Last active: Jul 11 2011 12:13 AM
I have written this library to help AHK control a PPJoy virtual joystick. If someone finds it useful, I would love to hear what they did with it.

victoras_h
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Hi guys,

One question, with this lib, AHK and PPJoy, will I be able to control an application that works ONLY with an external controller, without the actual controller?

So basically I want to use a standard keyboard, and the application sees it as a joystick, controller, doesn't matter.

Thanks for the help.

ninjabob7
  • Members
  • 4 posts
Yep, that's the idea. When you install PPJoy and set up a virtual controller, your app will see that as a normal joystick. Then you use AHK to control the buttons and axes on that virtual joystick.

victoras_h
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Perfect! I'll try to configure this when I get home. I'll follow your instructions in the thread with the lib.

I need it for a RC simulator. I can't take to my workplace the controller, because of obvious reasons, so I've been searching for a way to use only the standard keyboard for this. Most RC flight sims do not have keyboard controls, they only work with a controller.

Btw, thanks for the fast answer.

victor
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Hi again,

Sorry, I can't seem to be able to get this working. I set up a virtual controller, but I don't know how to make AHK control it with keyboard mappings.

Sergey
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Hi guys. What a great tool! I mean PPJoy + provided library. Just one question - is it possible to set PPJoy position with actual value but not with percents? For some applications 100 levels of sampling is not enough.

ninjabob7
  • Members
  • 4 posts

is it possible to set PPJoy position with actual value but not with percents?

Apparently I didn't implement that in my DLL, although I did name the methods as if I was going to later. If you know any C at all it would be fairly easy to add them (I included source code in the zip), but I probably won't get around to it for a long time.

Fedo
  • Guests
  • Last active:
I need an adress to show me how I can transform my Mouse into a Joystick.
I've searched (poorly, I admit, as I'm not US- or UK-native) for the ppjoymouse.exe, but i can´t find it.
Instead, i've only found cute girls trying to sell me solutions to the dangers that ppjoymouse represents to my PC...

ahhhh....

Is it so hard to play Dune 2000 on an emulator with a mouse??

I thank you for your time.

P.S.: Excuse my terrible English...