Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

RADIAL MENU scripts - migrated to new forum

• Please log in to reply
1310 replies to this topic
Elesar
  • Members
  • 696 posts
  • Last active: May 08 2015 09:51 PM
3.13 looks great!

I have already done quite a bit more work from what I posted above, and revised a good portion of the existing code.

I have scraped the idea for General and Advanced tabs and instead just made Settings1 and Settings2 and grouped settings by function (Graphics, Sound, Font, Hotkey)

I am also planning a preview and had thought about drag and drop a bit, but I have so many ideas some are getting lost before I can get it into code, and I'm not really known for taking notes :\

With your permission I would like to try and implement your ideas for the settings window. Though I like my current system, it does lack in the "visual design" department and having the blanked radial menu would help people know exactly where an item would show up.

I may just start working on the visual designer in preparation for 3.13, and hopefully get a system working that will be mostly future proof, with the exception of new features that need adding in.

Learning one
  • Members
  • 1483 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2016 02:30 PM

With your permission I would like to try and implement your ideas for the settings window.

You have my permission.
Keep up good work.

I'll release RM v3.13 soon, so keep watching this topic...

P.S. It's very boring job to transform my private RM to public RM ...
As I'm redistributing images and sounds from other authors, I must obey licences (licenses), log everything in those .txt files, and so on... :x :x :x

Learning one
  • Members
  • 1483 posts
Radial menu v3.13 released

Quick changes log:
- no more escape and pause hotkeys
- added exit in tray menu
- double click on tray icon opens RM settings.ini
- ButtonSize limited to 130 max
- item under mouse glows
- new skin - small, compact, good looking
- separators
- icons without background

New keys and/or values in RM settings.ini. Basic principle: special setting [Item]has precedence over general setting [General]
- Name --> determines button's name. If name is set to separator item will become separator - blank space, hole in the ring. All other settings (ini keys) for that item are than ignored.
- SpecialButtonBack --> determines button's background. If blank, ButtonBackground applies (general setting). If you want button without background, specify no background Useful to show icons without background.
- GenIconShrink --> determines how much all icons with blank IconShrink (special setting) are shrinked. Not blank IconShrink has precedence over GenIconShrink (general setting).
- RMCloseDirection --> determines RM's close direction. CW means clockwise. CCW means counter-clockwise. Useful only if DestroyDelay is not set to 0.
- ShadowHeight --> if button's background .png has built in shadow, specify shadow height for better icon positioning. Does not affect on icons without background.
- Sounds--> 1 means Sounds on. 0 means Sounds off - ignores all other sound settings

- Due to new improvements minimal authorship changed: "No matter how much you improve this Radial menu, my share in authorship will always be minimum 81% ."

Customizing RM is still not user-friendly, no real settings gui (but Elesar is working on that), no real help file,
but once when you set it up to fit your needs, you will enjoy working with it!

Finally:
Download latest version: Radial menu v3.13 (4.12.2009.)
If you like it or have some suggestions post reply.

Sounds are not perfect. I have tried some experiments with sound mixing. Results were not good - high CPU load, so sound mixing is not built in this version.

I abandoned idea to enable/disable mouse acceleration when menu is shown. I could not get used to it, it wasn't natural...
I also abandoned "RM show effects" - it looks cool in the beginning, but when you show RM for more than 200 times, you realize that show effects just waste your time.

TomXIII
  • Members
  • 182 posts
  • Last active: Feb 28 2011 11:42 PM
Great changes!
I like the way you set background icons and glow effect!

Learning one
  • Members
  • 1483 posts

Great changes!
I like the way you set background icons and glow effect!

Thanks! :D

I have good news! :D
In RM v3.14, I managed to auto position Items' name text and shadow to center without YPosition setting in .ini!

So, no more YPosition in .ini,
and added new key in general section; ShadowOffset --> it is limited to 3 max, although, even ShadowOffset = 3 looks ugly.
I recommend ShadowOffset = 1 or ShadowOffset = 2

alienyd
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Last active: Oct 22 2010 07:39 PM
Hey guys, I've been watching this post from the beginning and I really like the idea the the work of all of you!
I'd love to make a suggestion/request about the way you choose the item though:
Is it possible that we can highlight Item by scrolling the mouse, and then choose with a mouse button? I'm thinking of:
- press a mouse button (e.g. XButton) to activate menu
- scroll to select
- MButton to choose
<-------- totally without mouse movement!

I hope somebody would come up with a solution!
Thanks, and keep up the good work!
You ROCK!

Learning one
  • Members
  • 1483 posts
@alienyd
Thanks for suggestion and support!
Yes, this is possible. Interesting suggestion. I'll try to do some tests, when I'll have some free time.

Radial menu v3.14 released
Changes:
- no more YPosition in .ini
- added new key in general section; ShadowOffset --> it is limited to 3 max, although, even ShadowOffset = 3 looks ugly. I recommend ShadowOffset = 1 or ShadowOffset = 2
- new folder with .ini examples

- one clarification: ShadowHeight is not connected with text shadow in any way! It means: If button's background .png has built in shadow, specify shadow height for better icon and text positioning. Does not affect on icons without background. More accurate name would be ButtonShadowHeight.

Download Radial menu v3.14 (7.12.2009.)

Posted Image

doyle
  • Members
  • 335 posts
  • Last active: Mar 02 2012 04:47 PM
That just seems like a nightmare to maintain, organise, and memorise.

It'd be quicker just to click on the desktop, and select an icon.

The beauty of this concept is in its simplicity.

Rather than have loads of icons, in a radial menu, I would focus on context sensitive menus?

So a different set of icons would display depending what the current user is doing.

doyle
  • Members
  • 335 posts
I will say though.

Version 3.14 is a very good looking piece of software!

Please try and implement the settings gui into the same script though!

Having two seperate pieces of software seems unneccesary.

doyle
  • Members
  • 335 posts
Also... :D

Whats the possibility of having a "Sub-Radial Menus" feature?

So you open up your radial, and one of the icons says something like "Program Files"

Then when you hover over it, another Radial is created with the items that fall under that category.

Elesar
  • Members
  • 696 posts
There are a couple different reasons we are having the settings script be seperate.

The first being that there are two different authors, and we have barely talked during the course of development. RM is his script to update and change as he sees fit, and RM Settings is my script, with my own coding style and development cycle.

Second would be script size. If we were to integrate the scripts into one file, it would be allot more code for the authors to have to sift through to change their part of the script.

Third, performance. True, with most systems, having both scripts in one wouldn't be that much of an impact, but why load up all of my settings script when, once you have it configured, you won't use it 90% of the time.

I'm sure that once I have a completed (or close enough) settings script it can be included with the main download and even launched from the tray menu, rather than opening the settings ini.

I didn't get a chance to work on the settings this weekend, but I will see what I can do this week. I hope to learn the gdip stuff so that I can generate a full preview of the menu and allow direct editing and drag&drop functionality.

gongchao6330
  • Members
  • 24 posts
  • Last active: Jul 17 2011 06:26 AM
Looks fantastic!

I have question, i use a mouse gesture software "strokeit" everyday, the hotkey of which is also Rbutton. This will confict with our Radial Menu function, and i don't want to change hotkeys of anyone. I wonder is there a good way to settle this?

Elesar
  • Members
  • 696 posts
There is a value that you can set in the INI file of your copy to whatever you wish your hotkey to be. It is near the bottom.

This will also be a field available in my RMSettings script when it is complete.

Larousse_off
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Absolutely great, but I have one problem with it - it exits unexpectedly. I have it loaded through a shortcut in my startup folder, and after a while (I don't use it SO often during a standard session) I find out it's gone -- the script is not in memory anymore. I have no idea what causes this.... Would you know?

Thanks,

LArg

Learning one
  • Members
  • 1483 posts
Hi everybody,
A couple of times i said that I have to stop developing RM until I finish some more serious jobs. Now I really have to stop.

Take a look at some of my concepts/experiments:
Radial lab1 - submenus concept
Radial lab2 - RM monster, RM6, searching for perfect ring radius

That's it. I'll be back in the project as soon as I can. Bye!

@Larousse_off: strange, I never experienced something like that...

Posted Image