Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Show Desktop.scf

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic
AiKscroll
  • Members
  • 179 posts
  • Last active: Feb 25 2007 03:10 AM
Just a quick tip for those who write scripts for games. If you want to avoid having to alt-tab or WinButton out of games just assign a hotkey to run this program:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Show Desktop.scf

It is the shortcut to the Windows function 'Show Desktop', which you wouldn't be able to click the shortcut for if you were in a full-screen game.
_AiK

toralf
  • Moderators
  • 4035 posts
  • Last active: Aug 20 2014 04:23 PM
Hi AiKScroll,

Thanks for the tip.

I was hoping you would provided a small working script. With system variables, so it independed of the system your are using, etc.
So that newbies can immediatly use it. :)
Ciao
toralf

I use the latest AHK version (1.1.15+)
Please ask questions in forum on ahkscript.org. Why?
For online reference please use these Docs.

AiKscroll
  • Members
  • 179 posts
Hmm... heres a simple script

$LWin:: ; any key, I chose LWin though
IfWinActive, My Game ; change to the name of your window
{
Run, C:\Documents and Settings\%A_ComputerName%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Show Desktop.scf
}
return

P.S. - There must be a way to get the name of your computer. How is it done in AHK? Nevermind Found it!
_AiK

toralf
  • Moderators
  • 4035 posts
  • Last active: Aug 20 2014 04:23 PM
How about %USERPROFILE% ?

e.g.
Run, %USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Show Desktop.scf

It should be user name, not Computer name.
Ciao
toralf

I use the latest AHK version (1.1.15+)
Please ask questions in forum on ahkscript.org. Why?
For online reference please use these Docs.

AiKscroll
  • Members
  • 179 posts
Yeah that's better. I always use my one account, admin account. I guess other people could have many different users setup so essencially %USERPROFILE% is better than computer name.
_AiK

Guest2
  • Guests
  • Last active:
FYI: the standard windows hotkey for "show the desktop" .scf is Winkey+D

foerno
  • Members
  • 8 posts
  • Last active: Jul 31 2011 10:35 AM
On my Windows 7 Home Premium, the path is the following:
Run, %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Shows Desktop.lnk

SoggyDog
  • Members
  • 803 posts
  • Last active: Mar 04 2013 06:27 AM
If you're having trouble finding or accessing 'Show Desktop.scf' you can make your own and link to it:

[shell]
command=2
iconfile=explorer.exe,3
[Taskbar]
command=ToggleDesktop

• Guests
  • Last active:
can anyone help me on how to, make f5 show my destop instead of pressing Windows-D. I have a presenter with an f5 button and i just want to be a able to clear my windoes and just show desktop thats is. F5 - Windows desktop. Please

guest3456
  • Members
  • 1704 posts
  • Last active: Nov 19 2015 11:58 AM

can anyone help me on how to, make f5 show my destop instead of pressing Windows-D. I have a presenter with an f5 button and i just want to be a able to clear my windoes and just show desktop thats is. F5 - Windows desktop. Please

heh, you realize you are on the autohotkey forums, where something like creating a hotkey to remap to a different keystroke is one of the main purposes of AHK?

<!-- m -->http://www.autohotke...ocs/Hotkeys.htm<!-- m -->
<!-- m -->http://www.autohotke.../misc/Remap.htm<!-- m -->

solution:

F5::#d

• Guests
  • Last active:
I thought I might get solution here. Thank you very much for the help I appreciate it, it that looks like are fairly simple solution. Still no better though.

I edit script but the thing I get when its all done is a error message when I press F5.

Failed attempt
Action: <"C\Documents and settings\user\apllication data\microsoft

just tried another thing, used this script as I did the first time but on another computer,

; When I press F5, I want to Show Desktop
F5::Run, "%A_APPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Shows Desktop.lnk"

this worked perfect on the other Pc despite me struggling and getting nothing on my netbook, i just get the error message. I have even looked for the file on the netbook and it is there.

F5::#d doesnt work either, yet it will show desktop when I press windows + D or if i select the file directly, it is odd.

JSLover
  • Members
  • 920 posts
  • Last active: Nov 02 2012 09:54 PM

F5::#d

...however, that syntax is really a "remap", it makes F5 "become" Win+D...

I prefer to avoid remapping, unless it's really needed...don't get me wrong, remapping is fine, when you know you're doing it & when it's needed, in most cases however, a simple Send, is, well, simpler...& all that's needed.

If you just want F5 to send Win+D, then, do just that...

F5::Send, #d
...it may seem like it's the same, as the above code, but it's not.

I edit script but the thing I get when its all done is a error message when I press F5.

You have some typo's...

; When I press F5, I want to Show Desktop
F5::Run, "%A_APPDATA%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Show[color=red]s[/color] Desktop.[color=#FF0000]lnk[/color]"
...it's "Show Desktop.scf" not "Shows Desktop.lnk". Oh I see, foerno said it's different on Win7, but in that case, the path is different too.
Useful forum links: New content since: Last visitPast weekPast 2 weeks (links will show YOUR posts, not mine)

OMFG, the AutoHotkey forum is IP.board now (yuck!)...I may not be able to continue coming here (& I love AutoHotkey)...I liked phpBB, but not this...ugh...

Note...
I may not reply to any topics (specifically ones I was previously involved in), mostly cuz I can't find the ones I replied to, to continue helping, but also just cuz I can't stand the new forum...phpBB was soo perfect. This is 100% the opposite of "perfect".

I also semi-plan to start my own, phpBB-based AutoHotkey forum (or take over the old one, if he'll let me)
PM me if you're interested in a new phpBB-based forum (I need to know if anyone would use it)
How (or why) did they create the Neil Armstrong memorial site (neilarmstronginfo.com) BEFORE he died?

• Guests
  • Last active:
Panic over for some reason its just started to work. Despite me trying for hours to get it. I love PCs they can do absolutely everything but as always there is usually never a simple way, still love them more than any other form of computer. Heard macs are easier but Ive never been into them, In a odd way I kind of like these occasional challenges :)

Thanks for the help all. Amazing forum Ive never had such fast replies from a forum.

At last a happy AHK/PC user. :D

Meetloaf
  • Members
  • 46 posts
  • Last active: Mar 05 2016 07:57 PM
To help fellow googlers. I ran across this command that got this working, as I could not get the instructions here to work on my windows 7 machine.

Attach this and it will toggle the desktop:
Run shell:::{3080F90D-D7AD-11D9-BD98-0000947B0257}

Oliver
  • Members
  • 402 posts
  • Last active: Oct 26 2015 04:38 AM

I also remap #d to open a file and then I wanted to be able to toggle the desktop with #t and the following is not working at my Windows 8 machine (though when I click that file at Windows Explorer it is working (though not toogles):

#t:: Run c:\m.scf 

Any suggestion as a way to have that script run in Autohotkey?

thanks!