Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

What do you do with AutoHotKey? give your idea here

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic
berban
  • Members
  • 202 posts
  • Last active: Jun 07 2016 02:58 AM
ok guest was me, don't know why it logged me out.

tomoe_uehara
  • Members
  • 2166 posts
  • Last active: Jun 11 2015 05:33 PM

Done :)

Hehe you've register at the forum, but haven't logged in yet.
Yes, it's true. The help file is nicely done.
But sometimes I need more examples, and I can't found the example I need on the help file, so I just visit the forum Posted Image

neXt
  • Members
  • 549 posts
  • Last active: May 20 2015 02:38 AM
AHK is great and a lot of my usual daily tasks are done using it.
Mostly read/write file operations and a bit of web control using a mix of JS and AHK.
Too bad there aren't any good advanced tutorials like cool Win API examples and Com.

I know VBA thanks to AHK too, now my job is even more easier :p .

tomoe_uehara
  • Members
  • 2166 posts

I know VBA thanks to AHK too

Isn't VBA != AHK ?

neXt
  • Members
  • 549 posts
  • Last active: May 20 2015 02:38 AM
If i didn't know AHK i would have never even touched VBA

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: Oct 13 2016 01:04 AM
wow what do i do with it well

i pull data from several telnet sessions a web site and an odbc connection into a common web interface for a call center and populate customer information and log call notes into several systems( a year of my life i dont want back)

look up activity for reported fraud and log it to a database from a variety of systems

verify account balances of delenquint accounts and charge them when fund become available

much much more all deployed via an intranet site many are triggered via web page buttons
Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

mai9
  • Members
  • 63 posts
  • Last active: Aug 15 2011 04:23 PM
I use it as drivers for the keyboard and mouse. Plenty of extra buttons to be used.

Carcophan
  • Members
  • 1578 posts
  • Last active: Nov 27 2013 06:46 PM

i pull data from several telnet sessions and an odbc connection into a common web interface for a call center and populate customer information and log call notes into several systems( a year of my life i dont want back)

look up activity for reported fraud and log it to a database from a variety of systems

verify account balances of delenquint accounts and charge them when fund become available

Wow, can we be like best friends or brothers or cousins or something now.... Please... ?

Or maybe you are just stalking me and pretending that you have my job?? no?

We need to pow-wow one day man, so I can pick you brain and get some more pointers and advise. Not necessarily code itself... but the approach and methods that you use, ideas. Me being only one person who is making code (with only experience from the forum as a guide mind you) for over 500 other employees... is 'difficult' at best for someone without a computer/programming based degree.

sinkfaze
  • Moderators
  • 6367 posts
  • Last active:

making code for over 500 other employees...is 'difficult' at best for someone without a computer/programming based degree.

I do pretty much the same as tank with AHK for a call center-like environment and my degree is in journalism (hooray to meaningless degrees!). Don't intimidate yourself by overestimating the value of a computer/programming degree. Don't get me wrong, it'll definitely help, but there's almost always been a market for programmers without a degree because hobbyist programming has so prevalent for so long. In fact I'd be interested to see how many people who frequent these forums have a computer/programming degree.

tomoe_uehara
  • Members
  • 2166 posts

I'd be interested to see how many people who frequent these forums have a computer/programming degree

I don't even have a computer basic.... In fact, I'm a pharmacist Posted Image

wooly_sammoth
  • Members
  • 644 posts
  • Last active: Jul 03 2013 08:08 PM
I have a degree in Environmental Science and work as a Hydrometrist for an Agency which deals with the Environment.

I first started using AHK to fill the gaps in some new software which was being trialed in my department.
I regularly have to go on site to outstations and record lots of information. This is currently being done on sheets of paper which is tiresome as I need to fill out 2 sheets, one to bring back to the office and one to remain on site. Once back at the office I digitise the data by entering it into various spreadhseets. I then send the paper off to our central office where it gets digitised again.
Obviously this is not very efficient and not very environmentally friendly so since before I started my team leader has been working on an electronic site checksheet which operates from our ruggedised windows mobile pods.
We took delivery of the prototype program which works in that it collects the data, but it outputs it as a csv which isn't the best for quickly viewing the data.
I was asked if I could make an Excel Macro to organise the data better. Instead I found AHK and got a bit carried away. I now have a standalone program which automatically scans the csv files and extracts the data. It stores the data separately and can display any past data. It updates the various Spreadsheets that need filling in and basically does the lions share of the paperwork which needs to be done around the office.
I have also used AHKCE to build some scripts for the Windows Mobile Pods so that data from different outstations can be collected and past data sets can be viewed when on site. Ultimately it could mean that my department can go paper free. My programs are being trialled at the moment and if proven successful have the potential to be used nationwide (which is quite a scary thought).

Since discovering AHK I have started to use it all the time. I prefer to build standalone applications, usually based around a GUI. My latest is a simple drive scan which catalogues all the files on a drive (this will save some poor devil a couple of weeks).

jl34567
  • Members
  • 262 posts
  • Last active: Nov 16 2011 11:44 PM
I got fed up with a poker site I play on daily, because it has horrible software......but the competition is horrible, which makes it impossible to leave......amazingly nobody has made a good script for the site at this point.

What I was able to do with AHK has made me a much happier person.

berban
  • Members
  • 202 posts
  • Last active: Jun 07 2016 02:58 AM
@wooly_sammoth: way to lead the way to digitalization! I know how that feels... I can't stand how so many companies STILL use paper records!

sinkfaze
  • Moderators
  • 6367 posts
  • Last active:

I can't stand how so many companies STILL use paper records!

Digitalization, for all of its merits, is still a bit of a wild card in the business world, enough of one that it's still not worth the risk of storing sensitive data digitally even if you've gone to the added cost of securing your network like Fort Knox and backing up the backups of your backups of data. Physical copies are still king.

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: Oct 13 2016 01:04 AM

is still a bit of a wild card in the business world

tru dat bro i would rather make you break in to a physical location than be able to remotely hack my network
Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.