Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

An update for AutoScriptWriter

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic
AHKnow
  • Members
  • 121 posts
  • Last active: May 17 2009 09:11 PM
AutoScriptWriter is based on an older AutoIt tool.

In comparison to the newer AutoIt tools of AutoItMacroGenerator (which records controls and is very useful for software installs) and AU3Record, AutoScripWriter is getting old.

AutoItMacroGenerator also uses Au3Info (AutoIt), so perhaps an updated AutoScriptWriter could use both AU3SPY and ASWHook information.

Also, is it not a bit funny that AutoHotkey has a tool called AU3_SPY.... Why not AHK_SPY?

The AutoHotKey scripting language has the ability to do DLL calls now, so if the source or more information was made available about the DLLs and the AutoScriptWriter, than I think others would help update its features.

I think AutoScriptWriter and Au3_Spy, in addition to the editor, are the "keys: of making AutoHotkey truly functional. If these tools become weak points or allowed to get outdated, than I think it hurts the AutoHotkey scripting language as a whole and in comparison to others.

Just some thoughts....

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:

In comparison to the newer AutoIt tools of AutoItMacroGenerator (which records controls and is very useful for software installs) and AU3Record, AutoScriptWriter is getting old.

I agree that those would be some good capabilities to have. Although I'll put it on my to-do list, it would be ideal to have a volunteer for this utility.

I realize that such volunteers tend to be in short supply because I think the AutoHotkey community has a much lower percentage of programmers than that of AutoIt. This is partially due to the difference in target audience.

AutoItMacroGenerator also uses Au3Info (AutoIt), so perhaps an updated AutoScriptWriter could use both AU3SPY and ASWHook information.

Oh, so it's a script rather than a program? There must be some clever scripting involved to create a fully functional macro recorder.

Also, is it not a bit funny that AutoHotkey has a tool called AU3_SPY.... Why not AHK_SPY?

The Window Spy program is 99% the work of Larry Keys, which is why the AutoIt name is retained in the Start Menu. However, the name "Spy" might be changed since a few have expressed concern over its shady connotations.

...if the source or more information was made available about the DLLs and the AutoScriptWriter, than I think others would help update its features.

Although I don't have permission to publicly distribute the source for either Window Spy or AutoScriptWriter, if anyone has an interest in enhancing these tools, I'd like to work with you. Please e-mail me at support@autohotkey.com.

Thanks for your comments.

By the way, one thing I've considered lately is the potential benefits of having an AutoHotkey Steering Committee. Although the word "committee" has bureaucratic overtones, I think it would be good to have others to help set direction and priorities. These individuals wouldn't have to be developers, but they should be sensitive to the desires of the typical AHK user.

Comments are welcome from anyone.

AHKnow
  • Members
  • 121 posts
This is great news that you and/or your team are considering to work on this. I'm sure that an updated AutoHotkey tool will prove itself very advantageous in comparison to what else is out there.

With AutoHotkey DLL calling abilities, development should be interesting... We could all make this kind of a group project and post code, examples, etc...

TheHook.dll in which AutoItMacroGenerator uses ( an AutoScriptWriter that can do controls ) source is located here:

http://www.scottandm... ... odenum=052

The orginal .dll that AutoScriptWriter used, before ASWHook.dll , was KTKbdHk.dll by Konstantin Tretyakov at http://my.tele2.ee/kt/prog/vb/

http://my.tele2.ee/k...vb/svkeylog.zip (download ... also has an activex control on the site that can be used)

An example macrorecorder with source code is here....

http://www.codeproje...ls/winmacro.asp ( may have to sign up to download )

Edit: The above uses the preferred Journal hooks and has sample code.

Your Pal
  • Guests
  • Last active:
asw.c
autoscriptwriter source

Comment by moderator: I removed the source in this post because:
1) It appeared to be somewhat mangled and incomplete (possibly because some of the special characters in the source confused the forum software).

2) Larry Keys hasn't given permission to post it publicly.

If anyone wants the source, please e-mail support@autohotkey.com and I'll get it to you and/or ask Larry for permission.

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:

An example macrorecorder with source code is here....

Thanks for this and the other links. One of them may well provide the foundation for a new macro recorder.

If anyone is a developer and has an interest in this -- especially the recording of macros that use ControlSend and ControlClick to automate background windows -- feel free to start the project and/or contact me.

AHKnow*
  • Guests
  • Last active:
AutoScriptWriter is really becoming old.

I've noticed that a lot of scripts are better off with Controlclick than just recording mouse positions. Using the controls means the script will be much more reliable and accurate. Which is very important and allows AutoHotkey scripts to be more "transportable" to other computers.

At this point, I don't even use AutoScriptWriter and just write the scripts from "scratch", because AutoScriptWriter can not record Controls like AutoItMacroGenerator.

I think the macro recorder should be one of thee most important tools of a language like AutoHotkey because automation is one of the primary things it offers over other scripting languages.

Micha
  • Members
  • 539 posts
  • Last active: Dec 31 2011 01:43 PM
Hi,
I had in mind to write a new recorder for AHK. In the german forum are posts about this issue.
http://s89775182.onl...=asc&highlight=

I had planned to enhance my AHKCtrlSupport.dll and after that beginning to write a new Autoscriptwriter.

Therefore if you want to, i'm in the team.

Ciao
Micha

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2012 10:09 PM
Very nice!
But, please, don't write it in MFC... :-)
Keep it light and all.
Posted Image vPhiLho := RegExReplace("Philippe Lhoste", "^(\w{3})\w*\s+\b(\w{3})\w*$", "$1$2")

LazyLarry
  • Guests
  • Last active:
"AutoHotkey community has a much lower percentage of programmers than that of AutoIt. This is partially due to the difference in target audience. This is partially due to the difference in target audience."

Is this a catch 22?

The reaon your target audience is lower, is because these tools are not in place to help newusers to get started with.

As a frustrated AHK user, i keep comeing back to this site to see if any debugging tool or recorder has happended, and usually find nothing.

Your help files are so complete precise and thourgh they leave the average beginner hopless and helpless, they are more of a technical reference for the experince and are harmfull to beginners, and BoBo constant references he found 67 pages on a subject , just loses beginners whom want to get started, so your phrase imay be prophetic. Just my opiinion, trying to be constructive and may be totally invalid.

But thanks for allowing this to even exist.

corrupt
  • Members
  • 2558 posts
  • Last active: Nov 01 2014 03:23 PM

"AutoHotkey community has a much lower percentage of programmers than that of AutoIt. This is partially due to the difference in target audience. This is partially due to the difference in target audience."

Is this a catch 22?

The reaon your target audience is lower, is because these tools are not in place to help newusers to get started with.

:? The quote was trying to say that the target audience is beginners/end users rather than programmers...

AHKnow
  • Members
  • 121 posts
Its been a while, so some of the links in the orginal post are no good. Here are some newer links that may prove useful.

Thehook.dll

http://vbclassic.pir...04/hmousho4.htm (thehook.dll)

http://voss2000.vo.f... ... at&catid=9 (AutoItMacroGenerator@VoSs2o0o)

An AHK solution, that others may want to check out, to replace AU3Spy is Ahk Window Spy. This might be integrated with a newer AutoScriptWriter.

http://www.autohotke...opic.php?t=4679 (Ahk Window Spy)

corrupt
  • Members
  • 2558 posts
  • Last active: Nov 01 2014 03:23 PM

Very nice!
Keep it light and all.

Yes, please...

Thalon
  • Members
  • 641 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2017 12:17 PM
I started already to play a bit around writing a ScriptWriter in AHK, but I have to spend a bit more time to see if I could realize all I want ...

Mouse-Recording is already working in parts...

Thalon

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
I've recently added to my to-do list the creation of a new macro recorder that uses WH_JOURNALRECORD hook to record events and the timing between them more precisely. Since it will probably be at least several months before I get to it, I'd ask that anyone considering writing a replacement to seriously consider WH_JOURNALRECORD and/or the CBT hook.

Also, any new macro recorder to be distributed with the AHK installer should ideally have a small EXE size and no dependencies on DLLs that might not exist on older OSes such as Windows 98 and NT4.

I've noticed that a lot of scripts are better off with Controlclick than just recording mouse positions. Using the controls means the script will be much more reliable and accurate.

Although this would be a valuable tool, I would probably not be able to work on it anytime soon due to the focus on adding more core features to AutoHotkey.exe. Therefore, volunteer(s) for it would be quite welcome.

Micha
  • Members
  • 539 posts
  • Last active: Dec 31 2011 01:43 PM

Very nice!
Keep it light and all.

Yes, please...

You're fully right. The exe should be small and without other dependencies. I should have been thought about that. After programming over 10 years with MFC I must confess that I have to "learn" the unconvenient way without MFC again. sight. ..But I will try hard :-)

@Thalon. Would you mind to send me your work even if it's under construction?

Ciao
Micha