Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate

Variables to differentiate between 32 and 64 bit?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
Mgrep
  • Guests
  • Last active:
When all Windows O/S's were 32 bit, having a single system variable such as "A_ProgramFiles" made sense.

However, now that we have O/S's that are 64 bits, with seperate directory branches for 32 and 64 bit apps/components, does AHK support variables that allow you to specify which one exactly you want? Or do you have to give an explicit path?

Lexikos
  • Administrators
  • 9844 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active:
If you're specifically interested in getting the Program Files paths, it can be done with EnvGet.
EnvGet, ProgFiles32, ProgramFiles(x86)
if ProgFiles32 = ; Probably not on a 64-bit system.
    EnvGet, ProgFiles32, ProgramFiles
EnvGet, ProgFiles64, ProgramW6432
MsgBox % "32: " ProgFiles32 "`n64: " ProgFiles64
I am running Windows 7 64-bit. If I type "set program" into a 64-bit command prompt (Start, type "cmd.exe"), it lists these variables:
ProgramData=C:\ProgramData
ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files
ProgramFiles(x86)=C:\Program Files (x86)
ProgramW6432=C:\Program Files
Typing the same into a 32-bit command prompt (Start, type "C:\Windows\SysWow64\cmd.exe"), lists this:
ProgramData=C:\ProgramData
ProgramFiles=C:\Program Files [color=red](x86)[/color]
ProgramFiles(x86)=C:\Program Files (x86)
ProgramW6432=C:\Program Files
The environment variable ProgramFiles appears to be consistent with AutoHotkey's A_ProgramFiles (A_ can be omitted), which actually uses the registry value ProgramFilesDir in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion. There are also other registry values containing the 32-bit and 64-bit paths, but I suppose the environment variables are easier to use.

If you want to detect whether the OS is 64-bit, you may use something like this:
if DllCall("IsWow64Process", "uint", DllCall("GetCurrentProcess"), "int*", isWow64process) && isWow64process
    MsgBox This OS is 64-bit.
However, this method will not work if AutoHotkey is ever ported to 64-bit. ;) The following should continue to work (and can be used to retrieve other system information):
VarSetCapacity(si,44)
DllCall("GetNativeSystemInfo", "uint", &si)
if ErrorLevel {
    MsgBox Windows XP or later required.
    ExitApp
}
arc := NumGet(si,0,"ushort")
MsgBox % arc=0 ? "x86" : arc=9 ? "x64" : arc=6 ? "IA64" : "UNKNOWN"

Mgrep
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Well, it's not just that. I'm referring to working with the system variables in general.

For example, using your test of which Command Prompt is being run, if I set up a script to do this:

!F7::Run %A_WinDir%\system32\cmd.exe

...even though the Title Bar shows that what's loaded is the cmd.exe in system32, running "set program" shows it as the 32 bit version.

Lexikos
  • Administrators
  • 9844 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active:
For that specific issue, refer to File System Redirector, How Run msconfig using AutoHotKey? or one of the other threads where it has been discussed.

I suppose there isn't much in general that is related to system variables in this context. Just note that 32-bit applications do not run directly on 64-bit Windows, but inside WOW64. They are essentially running in a 32-bit environment, so will not have direct access to the 64-bit environment variables. As for other system information, it's a matter of finding the appropriate Windows API.

instantrunoff
  • Members
  • 115 posts
  • Last active: Oct 10 2011 07:19 PM
I think there needs to be variables to handle scripts so that they can run as expected whether on 32-bit Windows or 64-bit Windows. The workarounds are just too cumbersome and should just be integrated into AHK. There should perhaps be a flag like "#Redirect64 Off|On". Example:

#Redirect64 Off ; Bypasses File System & Registry Redirection for Scripts run on 64-bit Windows
RunWait, %comspec%, %A_ProgramFiles% ; Will run C:\Windows\Sysnative\cmd.exe (rather than C:\Windows\SysWOW64\cmd.exe) in the directory C:\Program Files (rather than C:\Program Files(x86) )
RegWrite, REG_SZ, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, Software, Valuename, Value; is not redirected to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node

Alternatively or in addition, there could be special variables and commands that default to the normal version if the script is run on 32-bit Windows:

ComspecW6432
A_ProgramFilesW6432
A_WindirW6432 (Would not redirect from System32 subdirectory)
RegReadW6432
RegWriteW6432
EnvGetW6432