Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Hosting for AutoHotkey.com

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic
Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
Edit 1/13/2010: The site has been moved to a new server that is hopefully much better than the old one. Thanks to everyone who offered hosting!

===

The server hosting AutoHotkey.com has slow disk access and is easily overloaded. This reduces reliability and causes the forum to be very slow sometimes.

So I'm looking for a more reliable virtual private server (VPS) or dedicated server at reasonable cost. Here are the requirements:
[*:2gn1scl5]Apache web server (including support for .htaccess files).
[*:2gn1scl5]MySQL 4.1 or later.
[*:2gn1scl5]PHP 5
[*:2gn1scl5]250 GB of bandwidth per month (could be reduced to only 50 GB/month by hosting large downloads on another server).
[*:2gn1scl5]1.0 GB of disk space.
[*:2gn1scl5]1.2 GB of MySQL database space.
[*:2gn1scl5]The ability to host the autohotkey.com domain name; that is, to point the domain’s registrar to the new host’s name servers.
[*:2gn1scl5]The ability to create sub-domains like de.autohotkey.com.
[*:2gn1scl5]POP3 or IMAP and the ability to create e-mail addresses such as <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->.
[*:2gn1scl5]The ability of PHP scripts to send mail (to notify forum users of replies to topics they're watching, etc.). This is typically a standard capability on most Linux servers.Desired features (not essential):
[*:2gn1scl5]Shell access.
[*:2gn1scl5]SpamAssassin or similar filtering for e-mail.If you can help, please contact me via PM, or e-mail <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->.

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: May 02 2019 09:16 PM
Chris i can provide you with web space(as described above) but not your desired features. (i would have to impose 150 Gb monthly bandwidth) unless you would like to pay for the upgrade) there would be no charge nor would i desire any sort of control in return
Please feel free to let me know if you would like
to talk about this more
I may have to add a redirect plan to do the email part but this shouldnt cost much

My hosting account is already 5 years old
i useit only for demo ppurposes so i dont really use my 150 Gb monthly bandwidth
Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
Thanks for offering that.

I should have been clearer in my original post. This site is already hosted on a virtual private server (VPS). I suspect what you have is known as shared hosting, which in my experience is usually worse than a VPS in terms of performance and reliability. This is because a physical server that contains a series of VPSes typically holds far fewer of them than a server containing a series of accounts and domains (shared hosting). In addition, e-mail sent from a shared server (like topic-reply notifications) often winds up blacklisted because of so many accounts sending mail from the same IP address.

So for now, unless reliability or performance gets a lot worse, it's probably better to stay with the current server.

I've clarified my original post.

Thanks for offering this option.

DHMH
  • Members
  • 230 posts
  • Last active: Mar 25 2012 10:34 AM
Hey Chris,

Ive got enough space on my Virtual Server that we two can host it.
I would provide it 4 free.
Ive got 3000 TB Traffic per month, so that should be enough :lol:
If you are interested, just post it here..
Greetings,
DHMH

PS:
I've got the Virus Scanner "Dr.Web" installed on my vServer

EDIT:
My vServer meets all the requirements, you can have everything 4free!

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
Thanks. I'll send you a PM.

I forgot to mention that it might be best if AutoHotkey.com is hosted on a USA or Canada server because according to AWstats, more bandwidth goes out to the USA and Canada than the next 10 countries combined. In my experience, a lower ping can improve page-loading times and download speeds a lot.

DHMH
  • Members
  • 230 posts
  • Last active: Mar 25 2012 10:34 AM
I answered your mail ;)
lg DHMH

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
The site has been moved to a new server that is hopefully much better than the old one.

Thanks to everyone who offered hosting. I'll keep you in mind in case the site needs help again in the future.

Maniac
  • Members
  • 445 posts
  • Last active: Jan 06 2016 12:02 PM
I thought the site had been more responsive recently, so that's why. Good to hear.

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: May 02 2019 09:16 PM
I feel its necesary with that last comment to give some advice

if you are asked to provide credit card info as payment on an insecure form please report it to your card issuer and possibly call 1800 - visa911
Ecommerce sites are required to submit to deep network scans and independant security analysis periodically or face huge fines when fraud occurs
Cardholder Data Security Standards
No merchant is allowed to retain your 3 digitsecurity code. but they may ask for it and use it at the time of the sale only

I work for an aquiring bank (merchant services provider) there are serious implications and risks to consumers, retailer, and the banking system from behavior like this

Never ever provide payment via EMAIL or insecure site
Never provide payment information to someone who calls you
Never respond to any Email via secere or unsecure site with payment information
Always check a site against the Better Business Bureau before doing business with an online retailer or mail order business. It is far better to have a company with many satisfactory resolutions than no complaints
Surcharges or minimum payments in order to use a credit card is prohibited see page 10
<!-- m -->http://usa.visa.com/... ... _guide.pdf<!-- m -->
in some states it is illegal
<!-- m -->http://usa.visa.com/... ... harge.html<!-- m -->

Nothing in these garantees you wont be a victim of fraud but it should help to steer clear of obvious problems
Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

tomoe_uehara
  • Members
  • 2166 posts
  • Last active: Jun 11 2015 05:33 PM
OOT: Recently there's a smart group on my country that used a device called skimmer and spycam to copy user's data when withdrawing from the ATM.. Hmm..

• Guests
  • Last active:
I dont know why tank started to talk about online fraud here... :lol:

OOT: Recently there's a smart group on my country that used a device called skimmer and spycam to copy user's data when withdrawing from the ATM.. Hmm..

those are on sale
. The spycam thing is very funny... and the skimmer..., i believe it can only be an issue for people not used to atms, turists on a foreign country or people with some kind of sight disability

Well, this is the kind of smart guy banks should be afraid of.
http://en.wikipedia....Albert_Gonzalez
Not needing skimmer of any kind he got the magnetic strip info of nearly 200 million credit cards in the USA, and that means not just the credit card info printed on the card, but all the information required for duplicating it and withdraw with it from anywhere in the world.

To the good advices mentioned by tank I'd like to add one:
Make use of Prepaid (Anonymous) Cards, [ELECTRONIC CASH], as they are in no way liked to your savings account.

These cards should be easily top up with cash (for anonymous cards) or online by secure online operations. Citizens should require their governments and financial institutions to provide these services with no charge.