Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

AHK Web Browser? Is it possible?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic
PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2012 10:09 PM

I need a lightweight, fast and stable web browser.

I used Safari for such usage, Google Chrome seems to fit the bill even better...
A wrapper around IE component doesn't seem to be adequate anyway.
Posted Image vPhiLho := RegExReplace("Philippe Lhoste", "^(\w{3})\w*\s+\b(\w{3})\w*$", "$1$2")

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: Oct 13 2016 01:04 AM

A wrapper around IE component doesn't seem to be adequate anyway.

No.. not even close for most users...Not the one i made any how but it covers the bare minimum basics and the op asked for something light weight and customizable and yes there are many out there. However,I was trying to keep in mind her PC tho. So i created the most stripped down basics possible.
Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

• Guests
  • Last active:

You get a download prompt when downloading executables...

...yes, you do, but you can ALSO get a download prompt when just visiting a site, not even trying to download something...my point was, with IE, you can get infected without warning, with Firefox, most of the time, you will either get nothing (& not get infected) or get a download prompt...when a site figures out they can't infect you automatically, they try to get you to download something you "need"...like a fake video plugin...or fake anti-virus...

and all browsers can be taken in by malicious code. ALL of them.

...OK, yes, but more so IE...also when IE has a flaw, Microsoft will deny it, until they patch it (or declare it EOL & tell you to buy the newest version), but when they patch it they also send you "Critical" updates to the DRM/WGA on your computer...pieces of crap you don't need...

Also, Microsoft is one of the only software manufactures that provides cheap and simple software to the public at an affordable rate.

...WHAT? Vista/7 Ultimate is like $500+ that is not cheap/simple or affordable...please provide an example of what Microsoft does that is even remotely good/nice...Google does ALOT more "good" than Microsoft...

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
talking browsers here hot OS's i smell a flame war having been started lets not feed the troll under the bridge any more
Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts

Not the one i made any how

To be clear: I am not sure that using IE to make a "lightweight, fast and stable web browser" is a good idea.
Now, wrapping it to use it in an AHK program (for something else than daily browsing... eg. display HTML help pages or such) is useful.
Posted Image vPhiLho := RegExReplace("Philippe Lhoste", "^(\w{3})\w*\s+\b(\w{3})\w*$", "$1$2")

• Guests
  • Last active:

...i smell a flame war having been started...

...by you...

says the anonimous flamer who presents no supporing facts.

lets not feed the troll under the bridge any more

...I am not a troll under a bridge, I saw something that was leading to IE & had to respond, I have mentioned the need to avoid IE, it is not my fault if no one heeds that advice & gets a virus, that is all...

sinkfaze
  • Moderators
  • 6367 posts
  • Last active:

...I saw something that was leading to IE & had to respond...

You're completely missing the point. AHK is designed to work with Windows (at least for now). Internet Explorer is a core component of Windows. So in terms of web browsers, AHK will work best with Internet Explorer ergo if you want a web browser solution using AHK of course we will recommend and utilize Internet Explorer, as that's what AHK is designed to work with.

And the only reason you get to see all of those "holes" in Internet Explorer all of the time is because, like it or not, Microsoft is the biggest game in town; no use hacking a minor audience. But rest assured if Firefox and Opera usage begins to exist to any significant extent in the commercial world, they will be exploited just as consistently and you'll find out about more "holes" in those browsers than you could ever dream of.

trik
  • Members
  • 1317 posts
  • Last active: Jun 11 2010 11:48 PM

...I saw something that was leading to IE & had to respond...

You're completely missing the point. AHK is designed to work with Windows (at least for now). Internet Explorer is a core component of Windows. So in terms of web browsers, AHK will work best with Internet Explorer ergo if you want a web browser solution using AHK of course we will recommend and utilize Internet Explorer, as that's what AHK is designed to work with.

And the only reason you get to see all of those "holes" in Internet Explorer all of the time is because, like it or not, Microsoft is the biggest game in town; no use hacking a minor audience. But rest assured if Firefox and Opera usage begins to exist to any significant extent in the commercial world, they will be exploited just as consistently and you'll find out about more "holes" in those browsers than you could ever dream of.

Le Fin.

Now, troll (Guest), go back on your forum account and stop bothering the village people.
Religion is false. >_>

• Guests
  • Last active:

Now, troll (Guest)...

...now that is what we don't need, namecalling...*delete user trik*

arby
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Thanks for this, tank.
I'm working on a little portable browser project, and this is a great start.

no matter what, IE is a trainwreck, but for the purposes of my project it will do.

Thanks

garry
  • Spam Officer
  • 3219 posts
  • Last active: Feb 06 2016 09:32 PM
tank, also thank you for simplebrowser (and all others for scripts / examples)
<!-- m -->https://ahknet.autoh...mplebrowser.zip<!-- m -->

tomoe_uehara
  • Members
  • 2166 posts
  • Last active: Jun 11 2015 05:33 PM
I don't know why people hate Microsoft so much...
If there's no Microsoft, probably the computing era won't be like nowadays. People will use pencil and papers instead of laptop.
In the good side there won't be virus writers, no hackers, no online scam HYIP.
But the other side there won't be online games, no forum, and worse, no ahk...

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
awe i liked the TAZ picture better
Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

tomoe_uehara
  • Members
  • 2166 posts
  • Last active: Jun 11 2015 05:33 PM
Hehe.. I'll upload some later.
But there's someone who said that changing user avatar too much means lack of attention syndrome (or something), that's why I change it to the original small one.

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts

If there's no Microsoft, probably the computing era won't be like nowadays. [...] But the other side there won't be online games, no forum, and worse, no ahk...

Ah, I didn't know Microsoft invented Internet... :)
IIRC, they came late in the game, as they didn't believe in the Net before it started to be really popular with Netscape Navigator. They hastily released 3 versions of Internet Explorer before it became usable... and popular.
So they haven't invented online games (that would be Adobe, to name a name) nor forums.
And well, there were computer systems before Microsoft, and there are still, today. Granted, perhaps they would be harder to use today... or not. Maybe we would use OS/7 or... MacOS.

I am not a Microsoft basher, Windows is still my system of choice for daily computing and coding. But it doesn't prevent from having a critical eye on their products. Idem for Google, for example! :)