Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

[AHK 1.1]TypingAid v2.22.0 - Word AutoCompletion Utility

• Please log in to reply
841 replies to this topic
Maniac
  • Members
  • 445 posts
  • Last active: Jan 06 2016 12:02 PM
weird...

I think the only way to figure out which SendMethod is best may be user feedback, I'm really not sure how else we can tell.

I haven't had time to really look at the sticky notes thing.

Was there anything else you needed fixed before you feel comfortable with a release?

kakarukeys
  • Members
  • 86 posts
  • Last active: Jul 18 2010 03:10 PM

weird...

I think the only way to figure out which SendMethod is best may be user feedback, I'm really not sure how else we can tell.

I haven't had time to really look at the sticky notes thing.

Was there anything else you needed fixed before you feel comfortable with a release?

I made a note in the readme that the sticky notes issue can be circumvented with helper window. I'm making a release today.

Now my worry is that I have pushed my web host to the limit (on a shared hosting), I have a feeling with this release it's about time they ask me to upgrade to dedicated. :D

As a solution, I'm planning to sell an illustrated manual, a demonstration video, translate them to different languages, targeting dyslexic users. Also offering a paid micro-service to customize the script, provide support for any organization interested in improving their employees' text input or command input productivity. Let me know if you are interested.
TypingAid autocompletion program made with AHK.

SoLong&Thx4AllTheFish
  • Members
  • 4999 posts
  • Last active:

As a solution, I'm planning to sell an illustrated manual, a demonstration video, translate them to different languages, targeting dyslexic users. Also offering a paid micro-service to customize the script, provide support for any organization interested in improving their employees' text input or command input productivity. Let me know if you are interested.

I would object: I didn't help with the script to have someone else make money off it and would certainly prevent me from submitting further improvements (for which I have some ideas), even if the revenue would be small and donated to a good cause I would no longer participate. It was free and it should remain free, especially because 90% + of the work was done by others not you. Just the principle of the matter, if you had developed it 100% yourself I wouldn't mind, but this I don't like.

kakarukeys
  • Members
  • 86 posts

I would object: I didn't help with the script to have someone else make money off it and would certainly prevent me from submitting further improvements (for which I have some ideas), even if the revenue would be small and donated to a good cause I would no longer participate. It was free and it should remain free, especially because 90% + of the work was done by others not you. Just the principle of the matter, if you had developed it 100% yourself I wouldn't mind, but this I don't like.

Perhaps I didn't make it clear enough? The script, binaries and any material that comes from joint collaboration here will always be free on my site or on any dl sites, in fact it's GPLed. The illustrated manuals, video, and customization service I mentioned are separated from program itself and are my own creation. I will keep them separated. Legally speaking, it's fine as long as customized script is distributed with the same license. But I don't know what you feel about this.

Do let me know. I still have other options to pay any future increased hosting cost.

SoLong&Thx4AllTheFish
  • Members
  • 4999 posts
  • Last active:
I understand what you meant and I still don't like it. It is your own decision to host it where you do, you can easily switch to autohotkey.net and keep support on the forum, costs nothing. I help(ed) with the script but if you use that script to sell support which is what you want to do you are using other peoples work to make money (at least that is how I see it). What would happen if someone requests a feature here on the forum, maniac or someone else adds it and you provide paid support. Very weird.

kakarukeys
  • Members
  • 86 posts

I understand what you meant and I still don't like it. It is your own decision to host it where you do, you can easily switch to autohotkey.net and keep support on the forum, costs nothing. I help(ed) with the script but if you use that script to sell support which is what you want to do you are using other peoples work to make money (at least that is how I see it). What would happen if someone requests a feature here on the forum, maniac or someone else adds it and you provide paid support. Very weird.

Perhaps our perspectives differ? The way I see it, this is what goes on in all major Linux projects, such as RedHat. Redhat offers paid support to users who also has a choice of getting community support. The company and the community go hand in hand and benefit from each other, there isn't a conflict of interest. It's made possible because of the open-source license which offers sufficient protection to the community and its open-source developers. The company earns while the community benefits from the open-source initiative and the experience gained from the company's customer service. At present, I'm only thinking of covering some costs.

SoLong&Thx4AllTheFish
  • Members
  • 4999 posts
  • Last active:
I'm not saying you can't do it, I'm saying I don't like it and won't help with the script further if you do, and would discourage others from doing the same. There are plenty of useful scripts here that could easily be "upgraded" to paid support versions/mods/help/etc, I'm sure most authors wouldn't be happy about it if someone else besides themselves would do it even if it is all "legal" and I don't think you can compare something like linux with a specific application or script.

Edit1

At present, I'm only thinking of covering some costs.

which is again your own decision to host at your own website, and just choose a better host next time, there are plenty that offer gigabytes of bandwith for a very low fee which should be enough.

Edit2: plus there are free alternatives such as AutoHotkey.net or google code or .... you name it

kakarukeys
  • Members
  • 86 posts
In that case, I shall drop the idea of paid support. As for the illustrated manual and video, those are my sole creation. would there be any objection?

It's not bandwidth issue. The bandwith is often unlimited or unmetered. It's often because of the CPU / memory load, or host's tactic to prompt you to upgrade seeing that you gain in traffic and is likely not going to move. My experience told me some software distribution sites require all files to be under same domain for good security-related reason and I don't want to spend time moving all files, articles, word lists to a new host or AHK.net or google code if they allow article posting, editing at all. Besides, seeing the feedback emails and traffic increase is a motivation factor to me. It's a last resort to move.

Maniac
  • Members
  • 445 posts
my $0.02:

I'm not interested in any donations or paid support either (whether to me, or someone else).

While I'm not thrilled with the fact you are charging for a tutorial, IMO that's your call, but I think I will be a bit more comfortable so long as you clearly indicate that it is not affiliated with the actual project (ie, not official). There are many video tutorials from third party companies for products they didn't create.

However, if you are worried about hosting costs for the video (due to bandwidth, cpu, etc), why not just host it on youtube?

Simple traffic on your website from visitors reading your articles should not increase hosting costs very much, and it looks like you are planning on expanding your site anyway due to blitztype.

I do appreciate all the work you have put into "marketing" the TypingAid program. It's very cool to see the number of people who it has reached due to you spreading it. Thanks!

kakarukeys
  • Members
  • 86 posts
:D you are welcome. 2.09 binaries are uploaded. It takes weeks for the changes to propagate to some dl sites, depending on their update speed. Some need reminders.

Software marketing is an art of itself, so is documentation writing. There is a profession called technical communication which is about writing good documentation. I like AHK because it has one of the best scripting language documentations.

I did not do much on the two. I didn't request for any reviews posted here
<!-- m -->http://www.artwinaut... ... ml#reviews<!-- m -->
to be written. I think the quality of the software + words of mouth play the most part.

Ah you reminded me of BlitzType. It's a pity BlitzType development has slowed down to almost a halt.

Maniac
  • Members
  • 445 posts
BTW, I wanted to make sure you know kakarukeys, you're welcome to direct all support inquiries to this thread. You don't need to feel obligated to provide support by yourself.

I have started trying to update the code to generate the preferences file to have comments more similar to the one you have packaged with the compiled script. Hopefully that'll be updated in the next version.

hugov, do you have any issues with kakarukeys charging for his tutorials if he feels the need?

kakarukeys
  • Members
  • 86 posts
Sure! I'm glad you like what I wrote.

The tutorials are for a special group of users who has difficulty reading long passages (dyslexics) while normal users have no difficulty reading the readme.txt and the intro here. I have seen before a few emails and comments about TypingAid and other similar program (LetMeType) which said how the parents installed and set up the program for their children (dyslexics) to use computer. I believe tutorials with illustrations, videos are more suitable for such users, hopefully coming in different languages. I noticed many have used the Google Translate function on my site, and among all word lists, English word lists downloads are only about half of the total dls. I don't think people mind spending a few bucks if they find it useful. I have no doubt it can create more publicity and words of mouth on TypingAid and AHK.

LazyLarry
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Rajat produced a MenuMouse script that also uses a tooltip to select from a menu list.

In his script, one could select from a tooltip list with the mouse.

It seems it would be convenient to also use the mouse to select a word in TypingAid.

Excellent script, thanks for letting us have this.

Maniac
  • Members
  • 445 posts
You're welcome, but I honestly can't see the point in using the mouse... you're going to type a word on the keyboard... part-way... then switch your hand to the mouse?

Is there some specific reason you need such a feature?

j0989
  • Members
  • 9 posts
  • Last active: Jul 10 2014 07:25 AM
I've just downloaded the script v. 2.09 and I like it a lot. Thank you.

For some reason the Length parameter seems to be ignored - I set it to 5 and suggestions pop up after typing 3 characters (default).

I use it on Windows XP.

Any idea?

[Edited]
Just noticed, the same applies for 'LearnLength=8' - it seems to have no effect, i.e. shorter words are temporarily learned by the script and used in the suggestion list.