Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Patterns in the Help forum...

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic
Eedis
  • Members
  • 1775 posts
  • Last active: Aug 14 2015 06:33 PM
There has been quite a few INI questions going around on Ask For Help, or is it just me?
AutoHotkey state, the forum, Poly, and Drainx1. The short story.
I love my wife, my life, my atomic-match; for giving me the greatest gift a man could ask for, such a perfect and beautiful little girl.
9rjbjc.png

sinkfaze
  • Moderators
  • 6367 posts
  • Last active: Nov 30 2018 08:50 PM
You'd be amazed at the bizarre spurts of questions that show up in the forums from time to time. Another right now is people wanting to extract digits from a string and perform math on them. I can't remember the last time anyone has asked about that at all, much less three times (since yesterday).

Carcophan
  • Members
  • 1578 posts
  • Last active: Nov 27 2013 06:46 PM

You'd be amazed at the bizarre spurts of questions that show up in the forums from time to time. Another right now is people wanting to extract digits from a string and perform math on them. I can't remember the last time anyone has asked about that at all, much less three times (since yesterday).

Its funny. I thought I was nuts myself, but it is like a cycle. I see it frequently myself.

I have even had an issue with something random, gone online and seen 4 other posts about the same exact thing.

Secretly, this community only has 7 members, each with 54 personalitys each.

So half of the posts you see are just the same few members expressing there multiple personallities. :twisted:

MasterFocus
  • Moderators
  • 4323 posts
  • Last active: Jan 28 2016 01:38 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :lol:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Antonio França -- git.io -- github.com -- ahk4.net -- sites.google.com -- ahkscript.org

Member of the AHK community since 08/Apr/2009. Moderator since mid-2012.

tomoe_uehara
  • Members
  • 2166 posts
  • Last active: Jun 11 2015 05:33 PM
Yep, I feel that I'm on dejavu.

Asked about same thing again and again, and also the user who answers to the topic is the same user again and again... =)

And I see that a lot of new users are too lazy to search on the helpfile first before asking on the forum, also they want us to make a script for them, mostly for games. Hmm...

Tuncay
  • Members
  • 1945 posts
  • Last active: Feb 08 2015 03:49 PM
Then, who I am? or ... better who I am not?

---------------------------------

Building a new FAQ based on the frequently asked questions in this forum would be a nice idea. I wanted to do that, but it is too much working for me.

No signature.

SoLong&Thx4AllTheFish
  • Members
  • 4999 posts
  • Last active:
<!-- m -->http://www.autohotke... ... 020#309020<!-- m --> wrote

... what I meant was not a script for people ASKING question, but for people ANSWERING them, we all get tired of looking up links, searching the forums, answering the same questions again and again so it would be useful to have a tool that would help to answers faqs. Of course start with the AHK FAQ and expand on that with stuff like engunneer's home thread <!-- m -->http://www.autohotke...topic21919.html<!-- m -->

The FAQ is stored in the wiki (noobs wont read it) but the script pulls the data from there for easy update/copy/paste

Edit: basically the structure & script is already there if you would use Scriptlet Library <!-- m -->http://www.autohotke.../topic2510.html<!-- m --> all you would need is a way to maintain and exchange the ini which is probably something that is best done via the Wiki + a script that would download the Wiki page and reformat it to the INI format of the Scriptlet Library e.g. an "update faq now"

Ace Coder
  • Members
  • 362 posts
  • Last active: Mar 13 2012 11:44 PM
Idk about everyone else, but I feel special when one of my threads gets linked to.
I need to get started on that script, the one to answer questions that you ask it.
Maybe a 20 question sort of thing? Where it filters down till it hits an answer, and when it quits it will resort to creating an AFH topic.
I will possibly create such a script this weekend.
Any flowchart help would be nice...

EXAMPLE:
Game Macro>Fails to acknowledge>Worked as desired in Notepad>Attempted "Send Play">ANSWER: Try "SetKeyDelay", [Example code]
I don't wish to hijack this thread so I will create my own.
Sorry if I seem to have strayed off topic but this is General Chat after all... :)

Eedis
  • Members
  • 1775 posts
  • Last active: Aug 14 2015 06:33 PM
I think they should split the Ask For Help forum down into several sub forums. That'd also help us helpers help better. (That was a lot of 'help' words. XD)

Most of the time when I get on the Ask For Help forum with the intent solely on helping other's, I only read the threads that I know about. If the forum was split down into several subforums. I could go to the subforum that I know most about and be able to help in almost all the threads. How it is now, I just have to pick a thread out of a bunch.

We could also have a subforum pertaining to games, since there are A LOT of questions about game macros.

Ideas for different subforums. Obviously taken straight from the help document.
-Ask For Help-
--Game Macros
--File Management
--Flow of Control
--Functions
--GUI, MsgBox, InputBox
--Math Commands
--Keyboard Control
--Mouse Control
--Process Management
--Registry Management
--Sound Commands
--String Management
--Window Management
--Variables and Expressions
--HotKeys

AutoHotkey state, the forum, Poly, and Drainx1. The short story.
I love my wife, my life, my atomic-match; for giving me the greatest gift a man could ask for, such a perfect and beautiful little girl.
9rjbjc.png

SoLong&Thx4AllTheFish
  • Members
  • 4999 posts
  • Last active:

split the Ask For Help forum down into several sub forums.

That won't happen I think because people already post in the wrong forum now (scripts, bugs, wish) and newbies might not know their problem is related to "mouse" or "flow of control". More subforums has been discussed before and the mods didn't like it afaik. (me neither btw)

Tuncay
  • Members
  • 1945 posts
  • Last active: Feb 08 2015 03:49 PM
problems += countOfSubforums * wrongSectionPosts

No signature.

tidbit
  • Administrators
  • 2709 posts
  • Hates playing Janitor
  • Last active: Jan 15 2016 11:37 PM

Idk about everyone else, but I feel special when one of my threads gets linked to.

your topic, my script. :wink:

rawr. be very afraid
*poke*
. Populate the AutoHotkey city. Pointless but somewhat fun. .

tomoe_uehara
  • Members
  • 2166 posts
  • Last active: Jun 11 2015 05:33 PM
Hmhm... So what can I do to help?

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2012 10:09 PM

I think they should split the Ask For Help forum down into several sub forums.

Not necessarily a bad idea, but what if somebody wants to ask a question about a Function that plays a Sound found in the Registry, after processing the found String. Of course, this function being called by a HotKey... :)

In the Processing forum, there are specialized forums for OpenGL, Sound, etc.
Yet you find most questions in the Syntax forum. Partly, I think, because people have no idea of what syntax is, partly because they are too lazy to read the section descriptions, and most probably because that's the first sub-section in the Questions section (some even ask questions in the Exhibition section because that's the first one of the forum...).

A system of tags like those in Stack Overflow might be more efficient, but people often fails at finding significant tags, too (or even proper subjects: how often I see something like "Help me please"? Sight).
Posted Image vPhiLho := RegExReplace("Philippe Lhoste", "^(\w{3})\w*\s+\b(\w{3})\w*$", "$1$2")

SoLong&Thx4AllTheFish
  • Members
  • 4999 posts
  • Last active:
Last week INI questions this week: chat/network/TCP/IP posts. What shall it be next week... stay tuned :wink: