I started using AHK BBCodeWriter to edit BBCode documents in 2006. My favorite feature is Preview which is very helpful when editing large and/or complex posts. The editor is very powerful but it's missing a few basic editor functions. The °digit° version of the script (German forum) extends functionality a bit by adding a "Find" command but for some reason, it doesn't always work correctly.
QuickBBCode is an attempt to create an improved BBCode editor (with help from the Edit Library) but with continued use of the excellent Preview routine from AHK BBCodeWriter project.
Key features:[*:1rq0wvny]BBCode. Supports all standard and many custom BBCode tags. See the Issues/Considerations section for additional information.
[*:1rq0wvny]Find BBCode Tags. A special Find feature that searches for matching BBCode tags.
[*:1rq0wvny]Tag Explorer. [v0.0.8+]. The Tag Explorer window provides a visual way to view and select BBCode tags.
[*:1rq0wvny]Tag Generator. [v0.0.6+]. Use the Tab key to automatically generate BBCode tags from typed text.
[*:1rq0wvny]Auto-Save Untitled Documents. [v0.0.9+]
[*:1rq0wvny]Spell Check. I'm a notoriously mediocre speller so this is an important feature for me and people like me.
[*:1rq0wvny]Preview. This program uses the Preview routine from the AHK BBCodeWriter project. [v0.0.7+] It has been enhanced to support many commonly used custom tags.
[*:1rq0wvny]Internal Preview. [v0.0.9+] The Internal Preview window is a way to quickly display the results of a Preview request without opening an external web browser window.Screenshots
The pertinent files are as follows:Project: QuickBBCode.zip (Includes EXE, library files, dictionary, help file, and source files/folders)
Documentation/Help: The project file now includes a help file.
[*:1rq0wvny]Pre-Beta. The current version is labeled "Pre-Beta" to identify that software is working but the design has not been finalized. Please be aware that features and functionality can change at any time.
[*:1rq0wvny]Fonts. There are forums that support the BBCode Font tags but do not support the font name in quotes. For example, this is valid:
[font=Comic Sans MS]This is just a test.[/font]...but for some reason, this is not:
[font="Comic Sans MS"]This is just a test.[/font]The Preview command supports either format but at this writing, the editor always includes the double quotes when adding or modifying a Font tag.
[*:1rq0wvny]HTML Color Names. Only 16 of the 140 HTML color names are officially supported by W3C HTML and CSS standards. However, all major browsers support all 140 color names so they should be safe to use.
[*:1rq0wvny]Custom Tags. They're not called "custom" for nothing. Most early-generation forums including the AutoHotkey forum, do not support custom tags. Forums that use custom tags are allowed to name and implement the tags in any way they see fit. Yes, there are a few commonly used custom tags but "commonly used" does not necessarily mean that the tags have been implemented consistently.What's Next
There are too many "next steps" to cover but here are a couple:
[*:1rq0wvny]Toolbar. I've purposely excluded a toolbar from the current version for several reasons but yes, one or more toolbars makes sense.
[*:1rq0wvny]Custom Tags. Although the program is mostly good-to-go for use on the AutoHotkey and other first generation forums, it's not entirely "custom" tag ready. I'm in the process of designing formal support for custom tags. Time and motivation has limited progress of this effort.References
These are scripts that I found that create/maintain BBCode. There may be others.
The original AHK BBCodeWriter
AHK BBCodeWriter enhanced by °digit°
http://de.autohotkey...opic.php?t=4434 (German forum)
Voice Recognition COM
Microsoft Speech SDK 5.1
Voice Recognition and Text-To-Speech. This software is not necessary if using Windows XP or greater. However, the installation adds additional functionality so it might be worth the trouble to install it.
If you have any questions, problems, or suggestions, please make a noise. And yes, I did use QuickBBCode to create and edit this post.
Hint: Go to the bottom of this section to see the latest release.
- Bug/Logic fix for the Descriptive URL command (thanks sinkfaze).
- Bug/Convenience Fix - User is not asked to save file when performing many file-related commands (New, Open, Drop, Exit) if File=New and the edit control is empty.
- Design change: Moved many of the run-time folders under a new "Resources" folder.
- Added Revert command.
- Added status bar (optional).
- Added optional and experimental Voice Commands option (Thanks Sean for the code example).
- Bug fix (rare): When Save As failed (read-only or in-use file), previous file name was not reset.
- Added "Open Recent" menu.
- Added basic support for Signature files.
- Added basic support for Template files.
- Updated to use Edit Library v1.1. Includes Spell Check update
- Improved support for read-only files. Note: All example files in the Postings folder are set to read only.
- Added Word Wrap option.
- Added Tag Generator. The idea for this feature gleaned from the Vic Editor (thank Normand). The Tab key is used to convert typed text into BBCode tags.
- Added Remove Text Formatting command. This command removes text formatting tags (bold, italic, underline, etc.) from selected text.
- Added menu item, keyboard shortcut (Alt+F), and dialog to add/update the BBCode Font tag. Note: The AutoHotkey forum does not support this tag. Also, a "Font" item has been added to the Find BBCode Tags dialog.
- Added menu item and dialog to add/update a Descriptive Email address for the BBCode email tag. The format is similar to a Descriptive URL. Note: The AutoHotkey forum does not support the Descriptive Email format.
- Added option to select the BBCode font size unit of measure (UOM). The default is px (Pixels). This option determines how the Preview command will size the font when the Size tag is used.
- Added option to select the web browser for the Preview command. If not set, the default web browser is used. To reset back to the default web browser, select option and cancel when prompted for program. A prompt to revert back to the default web browser will be displayed.
- Added "Open Most Recent" menu item and keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+Shift+O) that will open the most recently used file. This command is useful if you frequently open/edit the same file.
- Enhancement: The Tag Generator feature (Tab key) has been enhanced to prompt for a tag name if text is selected when command is used.
- The Preview command has been updated to support many commonly used custom tags.
- Update: The Size tag can contain any valid CSS font size value. Ex: 12pt 1.5em, xx-large, etc. Note: Most forums only support a limited range of Size values.
- Update: Tag names on the Find BBCode Tags dialog have been rearranged alphabetically (mostly) so that the tag names are easy to find.
- Added optional Tag Explorer window. This window provides a visual way to view and select BBCode tags.
- Updated the ColorGUI window to show more (35) default colors.
- Added voice commands for size values from 1 to 100. Ex: "Size 24".
- The Tag Generator feature (Tab key) is now optional (enabled by default). If disabled, the Tab key will generate a "Tab" character.
[*:1rq0wvny]Added Auto-Save Untitled Documents option ("Options" menu).
[*:1rq0wvny]Added optional File Explorer window.
[*:1rq0wvny]Added optional Internal Preview window.
[*:1rq0wvny]Added a File Locations utility ("Tools" menu) to set the location of application data files.
[*:1rq0wvny]Added a Favorite Colors utility ("Tools" menu) to maintain a list of favorite colors.
[*:1rq0wvny]Added a Dock Windows utility ("Tools" menu) to choose window docking options. Thanks majkinetor for the DockA function.
[*:1rq0wvny]Enhanced the Add BBCode Tags dialog (Tag Generator command).
[*:1rq0wvny]The Preview command now supports additional custom tags. See the help file for a complete list.
[*:1rq0wvny]The Preview routine now supports all HTML ordered list types. Note: Very few forums support anything other than alphabetical and numerical ordered lists.
[*:1rq0wvny]Added a dialog to allow to user to select from all BBCode List options.
[*:1rq0wvny]Added menu item, keyboard shortcut (Alt+T), and dialog to generate a BBCode table.
[*:1rq0wvny]Added a Preview menu item to the menu bar. This option provides a one-click access to the Preview command.
[*:1rq0wvny]File can now be passed via the program's command line.
[*:1rq0wvny]Added unique sound for the Copy to Clipboard command.
[*:1rq0wvny]Added help file.
[*:1rq0wvny]Fix: Default "Direction" on the Find dialog set to Down, regardless of what was used last.
[*:1rq0wvny]Minor fix/enhancement: The default "Save As" folder is now set to the folder of the current file. Additional considerations may apply. This modification allows for the each creation and maintenance of files in sub-folders of the primary folders.
[*:1rq0wvny]File/Folder change: The "Postings" folder has been renamed to "Posts". See the installation notes for additional information.
[*:1rq0wvny]Change: All "Convert Case" keyboard shortcuts have been changed to accommodate keyboard shortcuts for the File Explorer and Tag Explorer windows.
[*:1rq0wvny]Change: Removed the "Open Most Recent" menu item from the "File" menu. However, the keyboard shortcut for this feature (Ctrl+Shift+O) remains.Installation instructions. Important note: In this version, the "Postings" data folder name has been renamed to "Posts".[*:1rq0wvny]Make a backup copy of all QuickBBCode files.
[*:1rq0wvny]Delete old version.
[*:1rq0wvny]Install new version.
[*:1rq0wvny]Copy all posts from the backup copy of "Postings" folder to the new "Posts" folder.
[*:1rq0wvny]Copy the backup copy of the "Custom.dic" over the just installed "Custom.dic" file.