Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

QuickBBCode v0.0.9 (Pre-Beta) - BBCode Editor

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic
jballi
  • Members
  • 1029 posts
  • Last active:
Introduction
I started using AHK BBCodeWriter to edit BBCode documents in 2006. My favorite feature is Preview which is very helpful when editing large and/or complex posts. The editor is very powerful but it's missing a few basic editor functions. The °digit° version of the script (German forum) extends functionality a bit by adding a "Find" command but for some reason, it doesn't always work correctly.

QuickBBCode is an attempt to create an improved BBCode editor (with help from the Edit Library) but with continued use of the excellent Preview routine from AHK BBCodeWriter project.

QuickBBCode
Key features:[*:1rq0wvny]BBCode. Supports all standard and many custom BBCode tags. See the Issues/Considerations section for additional information.

[*:1rq0wvny]Find BBCode Tags. A special Find feature that searches for matching BBCode tags.

[*:1rq0wvny]Tag Explorer. [v0.0.8+]. The Tag Explorer window provides a visual way to view and select BBCode tags.

[*:1rq0wvny]Tag Generator. [v0.0.6+]. Use the Tab key to automatically generate BBCode tags from typed text.

[*:1rq0wvny]Auto-Save Untitled Documents. [v0.0.9+]

[*:1rq0wvny]Spell Check. I'm a notoriously mediocre speller so this is an important feature for me and people like me.

[*:1rq0wvny]Preview. This program uses the Preview routine from the AHK BBCodeWriter project. [v0.0.7+] It has been enhanced to support many commonly used custom tags.

[*:1rq0wvny]Internal Preview. [v0.0.9+] The Internal Preview window is a way to quickly display the results of a Preview request without opening an external web browser window.Screenshots
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

The Code
The pertinent files are as follows:Project: QuickBBCode.zip (Includes EXE, library files, dictionary, help file, and source files/folders)

Documentation/Help: The project file now includes a help file.
Issues/Considerations
[*:1rq0wvny]Pre-Beta. The current version is labeled "Pre-Beta" to identify that software is working but the design has not been finalized. Please be aware that features and functionality can change at any time.

[*:1rq0wvny]Fonts. There are forums that support the BBCode Font tags but do not support the font name in quotes. For example, this is valid:
[font=Comic Sans MS]This is just a test.[/font]
...but for some reason, this is not:
[font="Comic Sans MS"]This is just a test.[/font]
The Preview command supports either format but at this writing, the editor always includes the double quotes when adding or modifying a Font tag.

[*:1rq0wvny]HTML Color Names. Only 16 of the 140 HTML color names are officially supported by W3C HTML and CSS standards. However, all major browsers support all 140 color names so they should be safe to use.

[*:1rq0wvny]Custom Tags. They're not called "custom" for nothing. Most early-generation forums including the AutoHotkey forum, do not support custom tags. Forums that use custom tags are allowed to name and implement the tags in any way they see fit. Yes, there are a few commonly used custom tags but "commonly used" does not necessarily mean that the tags have been implemented consistently.What's Next
There are too many "next steps" to cover but here are a couple:
[*:1rq0wvny]Toolbar. I've purposely excluded a toolbar from the current version for several reasons but yes, one or more toolbars makes sense.

[*:1rq0wvny]Custom Tags. Although the program is mostly good-to-go for use on the AutoHotkey and other first generation forums, it's not entirely "custom" tag ready. I'm in the process of designing formal support for custom tags. Time and motivation has limited progress of this effort.References
These are scripts that I found that create/maintain BBCode. There may be others.
AHK BBCodeWriter
The original AHK BBCodeWriter
Forum: http://www.autohotke...opic.php?t=6161
Home: https://ahknet.autoh...riter/homepage/

AHK BBCodeWriter702+digit
AHK BBCodeWriter enhanced by °digit°
http://de.autohotkey...opic.php?t=4434 (German forum)

MyBBCode
http://www.autohotke...pic.php?t=42601

Easy BBCode
http://www.autohotke...pic.php?t=42697
Additional references:
Edit Library
http://www.autohotke...pic.php?t=55062

Voice Recognition COM
http://www.autohotke...opic.php?t=2684

Microsoft Speech SDK 5.1
Voice Recognition and Text-To-Speech. This software is not necessary if using Windows XP or greater. However, the installation adds additional functionality so it might be worth the trouble to install it.
http://tinyurl.com/yptaoo
Final Thoughts
If you have any questions, problems, or suggestions, please make a noise. And yes, I did use QuickBBCode to create and edit this post.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Release Notes
Hint: Go to the bottom of this section to see the latest release.

v0.0.1
(Prototype)
Original release.

v0.0.2 (Prototype)
- Bug/Logic fix for the Descriptive URL command (thanks sinkfaze).

v0.0.3 (Prototype)
- Bug/Convenience Fix - User is not asked to save file when performing many file-related commands (New, Open, Drop, Exit) if File=New and the edit control is empty.
- Design change: Moved many of the run-time folders under a new "Resources" folder.
- Added Revert command.
- Added status bar (optional).
- Added optional and experimental Voice Commands option (Thanks Sean for the code example).

v0.0.4 (Prototype)
- Bug fix (rare): When Save As failed (read-only or in-use file), previous file name was not reset.
- Added "Open Recent" menu.
- Added basic support for Signature files.
- Added basic support for Template files.

v0.0.5 (Prototype)
- Updated to use Edit Library v1.1. Includes Spell Check update
- Improved support for read-only files. Note: All example files in the Postings folder are set to read only.
- Added Word Wrap option.

v0.0.6 (Prototype)
- Added Tag Generator. The idea for this feature gleaned from the Vic Editor (thank Normand). The Tab key is used to convert typed text into BBCode tags.
- Added Remove Text Formatting command. This command removes text formatting tags (bold, italic, underline, etc.) from selected text.

v0.0.7 (Pre-Beta)
- Added menu item, keyboard shortcut (Alt+F), and dialog to add/update the BBCode Font tag. Note: The AutoHotkey forum does not support this tag. Also, a "Font" item has been added to the Find BBCode Tags dialog.
- Added menu item and dialog to add/update a Descriptive Email address for the BBCode email tag. The format is similar to a Descriptive URL. Note: The AutoHotkey forum does not support the Descriptive Email format.
- Added option to select the BBCode font size unit of measure (UOM). The default is px (Pixels). This option determines how the Preview command will size the font when the Size tag is used.
- Added option to select the web browser for the Preview command. If not set, the default web browser is used. To reset back to the default web browser, select option and cancel when prompted for program. A prompt to revert back to the default web browser will be displayed.
- Added "Open Most Recent" menu item and keyboard shortcut (Ctrl+Shift+O) that will open the most recently used file. This command is useful if you frequently open/edit the same file.
- Enhancement: The Tag Generator feature (Tab key) has been enhanced to prompt for a tag name if text is selected when command is used.
- The Preview command has been updated to support many commonly used custom tags.
- Update: The Size tag can contain any valid CSS font size value. Ex: 12pt 1.5em, xx-large, etc. Note: Most forums only support a limited range of Size values.
- Update: Tag names on the Find BBCode Tags dialog have been rearranged alphabetically (mostly) so that the tag names are easy to find.

v0.0.8 (Pre-Beta)
- Added optional Tag Explorer window. This window provides a visual way to view and select BBCode tags.
- Updated the ColorGUI window to show more (35) default colors.
- Added voice commands for size values from 1 to 100. Ex: "Size 24".
- The Tag Generator feature (Tab key) is now optional (enabled by default). If disabled, the Tab key will generate a "Tab" character.

v0.0.9 (Pre-Beta)
New Features
[*:1rq0wvny]Added Auto-Save Untitled Documents option ("Options" menu).
[*:1rq0wvny]Added optional File Explorer window.
[*:1rq0wvny]Added optional Internal Preview window.
[*:1rq0wvny]Added a File Locations utility ("Tools" menu) to set the location of application data files.
[*:1rq0wvny]Added a Favorite Colors utility ("Tools" menu) to maintain a list of favorite colors.
[*:1rq0wvny]Added a Dock Windows utility ("Tools" menu) to choose window docking options. Thanks majkinetor for the DockA function.

Enhancements
[*:1rq0wvny]Enhanced the Add BBCode Tags dialog (Tag Generator command).
[*:1rq0wvny]The Preview command now supports additional custom tags. See the help file for a complete list.
[*:1rq0wvny]The Preview routine now supports all HTML ordered list types. Note: Very few forums support anything other than alphabetical and numerical ordered lists.
[*:1rq0wvny]Added a dialog to allow to user to select from all BBCode List options.
[*:1rq0wvny]Added menu item, keyboard shortcut (Alt+T), and dialog to generate a BBCode table.
[*:1rq0wvny]Added a Preview menu item to the menu bar. This option provides a one-click access to the Preview command.
[*:1rq0wvny]File can now be passed via the program's command line.
[*:1rq0wvny]Added unique sound for the Copy to Clipboard command.
[*:1rq0wvny]Added help file.

Fixes/Changes
[*:1rq0wvny]Fix: Default "Direction" on the Find dialog set to Down, regardless of what was used last.
[*:1rq0wvny]Minor fix/enhancement: The default "Save As" folder is now set to the folder of the current file. Additional considerations may apply. This modification allows for the each creation and maintenance of files in sub-folders of the primary folders.
[*:1rq0wvny]File/Folder change: The "Postings" folder has been renamed to "Posts". See the installation notes for additional information.
[*:1rq0wvny]Change: All "Convert Case" keyboard shortcuts have been changed to accommodate keyboard shortcuts for the File Explorer and Tag Explorer windows.
[*:1rq0wvny]Change: Removed the "Open Most Recent" menu item from the "File" menu. However, the keyboard shortcut for this feature (Ctrl+Shift+O) remains.Installation instructions. Important note: In this version, the "Postings" data folder name has been renamed to "Posts".[*:1rq0wvny]Make a backup copy of all QuickBBCode files.
[*:1rq0wvny]Delete old version.
[*:1rq0wvny]Install new version.
[*:1rq0wvny]Copy all posts from the backup copy of "Postings" folder to the new "Posts" folder.
[*:1rq0wvny]Copy the backup copy of the "Custom.dic" over the just installed "Custom.dic" file.
[*:1rq0wvny]You're done!

sinkfaze
  • Moderators
  • 6367 posts
  • Last active: Nov 30 2018 08:50 PM
I'm surprised no one has commented on this yet, but then again posts on BBCode formatting tend not to get many replies (as you've probably seen).

I've been using this for a few days now and I like the simplicity of working from a light, notepad-style interface. I'm not sure what direction you'll necessarily go with the templates or how far, but I find it quite fascinating, as jethrow has been hard at work on a BBCode lexer that will wrap commands and quoted function parameters (that are located inside code tags) with certain colors to make them stand out. I myself am interested in creating one that will automatically wrap command names in the "Descriptive URL" tags with a link to their place in the manual. That may be more of a formatting style rather than a template, but to be able to apply custom formatting in that way would be excellent.

One thing I did notice while I was working with this is that when you highlight a selection of text and call for Descriptive URL... tags that the text selection is pushed to the URL edit control in the popup window rather than the Description edit control. I didn't know if that was intentional based on a style preference or not, so I thought I'd bring it up.

Thanks again for this, sleek and simple!

jballi
  • Members
  • 1029 posts
  • Last active:

I'm not sure what direction you'll necessarily go with the templates or how far, but I find it quite fascinating, as jethrow has been hard at work on a BBCode lexer that will wrap commands and quoted function parameters (that are located inside code tags) with certain colors to make them stand out. I myself am interested in creating one that will automatically wrap command names in the "Descriptive URL" tags with a link to their place in the manual. That may be more of a formatting style rather than a template, but to be able to apply custom formatting in that way would be excellent.

My concept for templates is fairly basic. The templates would be used as a framework for certain types of posts. One template you use when publishing a script, another for replies, etc. The better the templates are written, the better/faster the creation of posts become.

One thing I did notice while I was working with this is that when you highlight a selection of text and call for Descriptive URL... tags that the text selection is pushed to the URL edit control in the popup window rather than the Description edit control.

I noticed it too. When developing the command, I imagined that everyone would select the URL and click on the command to enter the description but in real-world use, it is many times the opposite. I'll try to change the code so that the command is a little more intelligent.

I've been using this for a few days now and I like the simplicity of working from a light, notepad-style interface.

Thanks for giving it a try. I've only been using it for a short while myself. Of course I'm biased but the more I use it, the more I like it.

jballi
  • Members
  • 1029 posts
  • Last active:
v0.0.2
Minor bug/logic fix. See the bottom of the first post for the details.

jballi
  • Members
  • 1029 posts
  • Last active:
v0.0.3
New features. See the top post for details.

Bobo³
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Interesting! In ancient times I had my own try to create a BBC(oder). Well, I was focused to copy the design of the AHK "Post a reply" webform to an AHK GUI to keep it intuitive for myself and others. But I miserably failed (yeah, I thought about skinnable AHK GUIs too) :oops:

What about that: an optional module which will create&embed a screenshot within the code. It should take a screenshot, create a thumbnail from it, which is linked to the uploaded (eg at Autohotkey.net) screenshot. The whole thing in one go.

It's a matter of taste but I prefer lean apps, therefore a modulized tiny BBC(oder) (notepad style) would be/is perfect.

Thx for for your effort 8)

BoBo³
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Screen Capture with Transparent Windows and Mouse Cursor :!:
http://www.autohotke...topic18146.html

FSB - Fast Screenshot Bundle [BoBo] :roll: :)
http://www.autohotke...topic35580.html

jballi
  • Members
  • 1029 posts
  • Last active:

What about that: an optional module which will create&embed a screenshot within the code. It should take a screenshot, create a thumbnail from it, which is linked to the uploaded (eg at Autohotkey.net) screenshot. The whole thing in one go.

I'm not sure if you are offering to write this or if you are trying to encourage me (or anyone else) to develop and include this module. Although this functionality is very high on the cool and useful scale, it is a bit out of my purview, at least for now.

Thx for for your effort 8)

Thanks for giving it a try.

BoBo³
  • Guests
  • Last active:

I'm not sure if you are offering to write this

Is there any documented/posted UDF which allows to attach a module/AddOn to an existing script without having to change the code ?

BoBo³
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Would you mind to provide two flavours for download (binary vs zipped uncompiled) like it's done for AutoHotkey itself. Downloading exe's could be a hassle if an employer (like mine) has setup/restricted the equipment to death :oops:

jballi
  • Members
  • 1029 posts
  • Last active:

I'm not sure if you are offering to write this

Is there any documented/posted UDF which allows to attach a module/AddOn to an existing script without having to change the code ?

UDF? I had to look this one up. If you mean "user-defined function" then I think the answer is Yes, but I have only limited experience in this area. Recent (relatively speaking) changes in AutoHotkey allow dynamic calls to functions. These changes allow us to put a stub call into the code that will perform the function if it exists and do something else if doesn't. For example, we could put in hotkey Alt+F10 that calls function F7234 if it exists and issue an error message if doesn't. I have to do some additional research but I think this approach will work fine for development and testing but may not work as needed for production unless only the uncompiled version of the script is used.

From a purely programming perspective, a function is good approach because the end result is a URL. From a module perspective, a stand-alone executable or DLL might be better because it could be used by this script and by Program X.

Stuff to think about. Let me know what you think.

Would you mind to provide two flavours for download (binary vs zipped uncompiled) like it's done for AutoHotkey itself. Downloading exe's could be a hassle if an employer (like mine) has setup/restricted the equipment to death :oops:

In this stage of development, the project files are only available in the Zip format so you are never downloading an EXE file directly. As with the Zip version of AutoHotkey (or any zipped software), your computer is never directly exposed to an executable until you extract the files to your hard disk. I would just delete the one EXE file after extracting the files. To avoid having an executable even touch your hard disk, simply open the archive and extract all files except QuickBBCode.exe.

I hope this helps.

jballi
  • Members
  • 1029 posts
  • Last active:
v0.0.4
Minor bug fix and several new minor features. See the top post for details.

jballi
  • Members
  • 1029 posts
  • Last active:
v0.0.5
Minor release. See the top post for details.

jballi
  • Members
  • 1029 posts
  • Last active:
v0.0.6
A couple of new features. I'm using them so I thought I would share. See the top post for details.

jballi
  • Members
  • 1029 posts
  • Last active:
v0.0.7
A lot of changes to create the foundation for custom tags. See the top post for details.