Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate

Unhookable games?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic
Passenger
  • Guests
  • Last active:
While the discovery of Autohotkey made my day (kudos) I found that it won't always work, some games prevent macros from kicking in: specifically it happens with the freeware game gunbound (maybe because of its nguard game protection or whatever it is :) ) infact, if you start the game and then try to reload a script you'll get an "unable to create hook" message, which is pretty unfortunate. Is there a way to fix this?
thx in advance.

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
You might try mouse hotkeys. If that fails, try joystick hotkeys because those use a method that the game probably can't block. Of course, joystick might be very inconvenient depending on the game.

Another thing you might try is using GetKeyState in the script to see if it can tell if you're holding down a key while the game is running. If it can, you could probably roll your own hotkeys using it. If you try this and succeed, please let us know.

Finally, there is an alternative to the hook that might someday be implemented. It's a sort of direct hardware access, and it might allow lower level detection of keyboard and mouse hotkeys. It's on the to-do list but it will probably be a while, since it's likely non-trivial to implement.

• Guests
  • Last active:
Thanks for the quick answer!
Apparently it looks like that the game refuses any key I send rather than preventing autohotkey to hook them. Something like
~s::
Send, whatever
return
will have no effect on the game while removing the ~ will block the use of the s key. This means that keys are correctly mapped but the send command is ineffective.
Any solution?
Thanks again!

p.s.: of course I can't use mouse/joystick events as I need to create string macros, not sequences of commands. Also, as I pointed out, if I try to (re)load a script when the game is already running I get an "Unable to create keyboard hook, report it as a possible bug" error.

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:

it looks like that the game refuses any key I send

You might try using ControlSend, and if that fails, PostMessage. There are some examples on the forum about PostMessage, in addition to Rajat's tutorial about it. But chances are -- if the game is specifically designed to be resistant to automation -- these methods won't work either.

The hook error message you received is unexpected; I didn't know another app could prevent all others from using hooks.

puppet214
  • Guests
  • Last active:
I have ran into this problem with GameGuard before (in MapleStory), and successfully gotten around it. The thing that got it to work for me was to compile my script and rename it "JoyToKey" because GameGuard just uses a list of allowed program/DLL names allowed to send it input. I don't know if Gunbound has GameGuard using the same list or not, but it's worth a try.