Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

AHK Programming Arena suggestions, questions and bug reports

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic
lagomorph
  • Members
  • 403 posts
  • Last active: May 15 2014 03:41 PM
Posted Image
AHK Programming Arena

Please post any suggestions, questions, or bug reports in this thread.

The game is brand new, and expected to need some balancing and testing in these early stages, so your help and participation is greatly appreciated!

Please show your support for this endeavor and let's work together to make this game great!

AHK Arena Home Site

AHK Arena Wiki and Beginner's Guide

Huge thanks to tic for his work with AHK's GDI+ library as it is the underpinning of the graphics!

Carcophan
  • Members
  • 1578 posts
  • Last active: Nov 27 2013 06:46 PM
This is a hell of a lot of work. Nice job so far.

Is this for a class?

Are you more interested in suggestion or bug fixes and corrections?

In the wiki, you have a 'how to play' but with the demo scripts, I can't seem to win or lose. Is the demo just to illustrate how the bots move and gather, or is it supposed to be a ligitimate match and I am doing something wrong?

Either way, super stuff man. Keep it up!

(You may want to have this moved to the scripts forum and not general. As this is a functional working and very detailed in depth and documented jewel that needs more attention. )

lagomorph
  • Members
  • 403 posts
Thank you for the kind comments Carcophan.

This is not for a class, just for fun!

I'm mostly interested in players to enjoy the game with me, and we will address any bugs along the way as needed.

I run the demo scripts about 1,000 times a day (no joke) and see winners rapidly (usually determined by the random disbursement of the mineral fields). Just make sure you take the following steps to set up the game...

1. player scripts 1 and 2 as well as AA function library in your Lib folder
2. when you launch the game, type player 1's name as morpha and player 2's name as lagos
3. When a player wins, it will say which player won in the upper right hand corner of the GUI as well as tracking the games won underneath the player's stats (in the course of multiple games).

tidbit
  • Administrators
  • 2709 posts
  • Hates playing Janitor
  • Last active: Jan 15 2016 11:37 PM
this looks nice :)
I may or may not enter Part 1. might want to see how it all works and whatnot. but who knows :!:

good job!
good luck!

rawr. be very afraid
*poke*
. Populate the AutoHotkey city. Pointless but somewhat fun. .

lagomorph
  • Members
  • 403 posts
I hope you participate, tidbit! Since you are the person that introduced me to the concept of programming games and (inadvertently) prompted this entire project!

If you just read the beginner's guide and understand the sample script I think your imagination will run wild with ideas about how to improve the sample script with slight adjustments (for example, the commander in the sample script only builds units and never defends himself! The attackers also don't guard the commander and have no target priority system - they just go after whoever is closest!)

Eedis
  • Members
  • 1775 posts
  • Last active: Aug 14 2015 06:33 PM
I really am disappointed that my computer doesn't work. I'd definitely love to join, but I don't have a computer I could spend enough time on to actually do it. :(
AutoHotkey state, the forum, Poly, and Drainx1. The short story.
I love my wife, my life, my atomic-match; for giving me the greatest gift a man could ask for, such a perfect and beautiful little girl.
9rjbjc.png

Carcophan
  • Members
  • 1578 posts

2. when you launch the game, type player 1's name as morpha and player 2's name as lagos

You're right, I actually had a typo.

Legos!

camerb
  • Moderators
  • 573 posts
  • Last active: Sep 14 2015 03:32 PM
lagomorph: i found another issue after you left the forum... after each game, you should probably reset the units and kills to zero for each player. Is there a nifty spot for bug reports?
Aren't you glad that I didn't put an annoying gif here?

lagomorph
  • Members
  • 403 posts
Thank you for the suggestions and the private message! I will get to work on them immediately and let you know when they're fixed!

Carcophan
  • Members
  • 1578 posts
Early wish list, if I may make a few small requests or suggestions.

Pause, or toggle start/pause button

Msgbox or interrupt after a win/loss

When no resources are left, they seem to all gather in one location. I have not tested this as much as you, and am probably wrong. Could be a side effect of them all trying to gather the last resource and being near each other with no place to go.

Smaller map, maybe. Instead of 25x25, 21x21

Edit:
I have begun playing rounds with some message boxes enabled. It is really helping me get a better grasp of how things flow.

camerb
  • Moderators
  • 573 posts
  • Last active: Sep 14 2015 03:32 PM
Personally, I'd rather not have a msgbox pop up after a win/loss. The code looks pretty simple, so anybody could just jam one in there on their own.

When no resources are left: you have to set the player names as morpha and lagos, respectively... I don't think it's well documented on that wiki, but lagomorph is trying to change that pretty quickly. I'm going to help him out with the wiki by making a little quick start guide, but I'm hoping that very soon the program can be run immediately after download.

I'm with you on the pause/start toggle button.
Aren't you glad that I didn't put an annoying gif here?

lagomorph
  • Members
  • 403 posts
I am indeed hard at work on all of these fixes! I will have a new version out today! Thank you so much for helping, guys!

Carcophan
  • Members
  • 1578 posts

I am indeed hard at work on all of these fixes! I will have a new version out today! Thank you so much for helping, guys!

@Lago:
Also, maybe a larger color difference between the Lagos and Morpha players, it is often very difficult to tell either sides gathers' appart from each other. The 'yellow' and 'orange' are hard to see on the move for me personally.

@cam:
I know we can all edit the codes ourselves, it was just a suggestion. The game will automatically roll over from game 1 to game 2, sometimes I like to review the results or ending position of the gatherers or attackers. Figure other people may too so I suggested it as a default :)

lagomorph
  • Members
  • 403 posts
Version 1.03 released!

Please update your game client and sample player scripts!

Game Files

Version notes:
You no longer need the file "AA.ahk". It is now included with the main game client file!

Your player scripts can now reside in the same directory as your game client as they are now #included in the game client.

Players now reference their variables directly by their player name. See the Variables wiki page for examples.

Units are now named with their player’s name instead of number. Old way: 1_1_1 – new way: playername_1_1.

Player colors are easier to distinguish and units are more colorful.

Stats now reset after games and “total” stats added to GUI that track stats across all games.

Added a large semi-transparent effect announcing game winner over the GUI that stays for 8 seconds. eliminated the "Progress" section of the GUI for now.

Please report bugs you find on the forum topic or on the wiki Known Bugs page! Thanks to Carcophan, tidbit, and Cameron for their help with this release. and keep playing!

Carcophan
  • Members
  • 1578 posts
I like the changes in 1.03 :)

Near the end of a battle, are the gathers supposed to stop moving, and only the commanders move towards each other to fight? I have had instances where a bunch of purples will huddle in the corner, not moving, while the commanders keep spawning and fighting. Eventually one will win and kill the 'base'. Other times the commander mob will hunt down and kill the gatherer mobs. In a situation where their are two commanders and only a single gatherer... imagine Lagos has Com + Gath, and Morpha only has a Com, are the commanders supposed to attack the nearest enemy in general, the nearest gatherer, or commander?

In the very first 'cell', in what would be 'A1' if the map were an Excel sheet, in the top left corner of that cell is what looks like a 2x2 or 1x1 black pixel, that flashes seemingly randomly. It looks like it could be a 'i am thinking' notification, but if it is not an intended indicator, did you happen to notice it too? Edit: This flash seems to be tied to the spawning of minerals. I have not noticed a specific size or if it does for all, it happens so quick I can't keep tabs visually.

Their may be a reverse on the transparent pop up notification, it says 'morpha wins' even though it/he was the losing side.
;game output

Game = 3
Turn = 280
Avg. # Turns: 163

Morpha - Player 1
Units = 0
Kills = 17
Resources = 2
Games won = 1
Win Percent = 33%
Total Units = 56
Total Kills = 47
Total Resources = 204

Lagos - Player 2
Units = 3
Kills = 18
Resources = 1
Games won = 2
Win Percent = 67%
Total Units = 56
Total Kills = 47
Total Resources = 204

Lagos(Team Purple) won, turning Orange into purple, but morpha remains up on the overlay. Also, it does not time out after 8 seconds like it does between rounds. I am forced to exit the script and rerun. Edit: The battle sequence in this case, if it matters, was:
Game1 - Lagos
Game2 - Morpha
Game3 - Lagos
Overlay shows 'Morpha'
EDIT: But also, I should add, it does still display morpha if morpha wins. Which I didn't make very clear in my original point above.

Thanks for the new gatherer colors, helps a bunch too. And pause. And everything else! :shock:

Tell me when you are ready for the Christmas wish list, because I have about 40million ideas, I just don't want to seem pushy and mess with your creativity.