Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

AHK Programming Arena suggestions, questions and bug reports

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic
lagomorph
  • Members
  • 403 posts
  • Last active: May 15 2014 03:41 PM
I'll start working on fixing those issues immediately and please, unload your wishlist! I'm eager to get this thing polished so we can attract more players.

You can put stuff here too: http://ahkarena.wiki....com/Known Bugs

camerb
  • Moderators
  • 573 posts
  • Last active: Sep 14 2015 03:32 PM
Bravo, Lagomorph!... this thread was getting long!
Aren't you glad that I didn't put an annoying gif here?

lagomorph
  • Members
  • 403 posts

I like the changes in 1.03 :)

Near the end of a battle, are the gathers supposed to stop moving, and only the commanders move towards each other to fight? I have had instances where a bunch of purples will huddle in the corner, not moving, while the commanders keep spawning and fighting. Eventually one will win and kill the 'base'. Other times the commander mob will hunt down and kill the gatherer mobs. In a situation where their are two commanders and only a single gatherer... imagine Lagos has Com + Gath, and Morpha only has a Com, are the commanders supposed to attack the nearest enemy in general, the nearest gatherer, or commander?

The "base" is your commander! The units that attack are attackers! Attackers always go after the nearest enemy unit, regardless of type. They have no priority targeting system (but that would be a good idea, wouldn't it?!)

In the very first 'cell', in what would be 'A1' if the map were an Excel sheet, in the top left corner of that cell is what looks like a 2x2 or 1x1 black pixel, that flashes seemingly randomly.

Yup, I'm aware of this "ghost" mineral animation (it's the black square for an unscanned mineral). I am still searching for a solution. (It may be linked to the gatherer behavior where they all hang out on the edge of the board sometimes like there's a mineral off-board that they all "want" to move towards.)

Their may be a reverse on the transparent pop up notification, it says 'morpha wins' even though it/he was the losing side. Lagos(Team Purple) won, turning Orange into purple, but morpha remains up on the overlay. Also, it does not time out after 8 seconds like it does between rounds. I am forced to exit the script and rerun.

Good catch! I've fixed this bug and if you wanna fix yours right now just change line 145 in the game client file to say "destroy" instead of "cancel"!

Carcophan
  • Members
  • 1578 posts
  • Last active: Nov 27 2013 06:46 PM
EDIT: Sorry about the naming mix up. I assumed the 'commanders were attacking' lol, not that they were 'attackers'. I got commander stuck in my head for some reason.

You can put stuff here too: http://ahkarena.wiki....com/Known Bugs

Signed up and signed in.
Load page and all that it contains is:

Known Bugs
Please report any bug you find here.

I have also clicked 'join this wiki' but the page will not change.

I just have some general ideas. I don't really want you to just add them, I mean please do if you like them, but I don't mind just talking about them and getting your feedback in general. I have several long term and short term ideas, large and small ideas etc.

1. Boulders. Or rocks. Similar to how the minerals that spawn.

These could be spawned randomly before the beginning of a battle, like minerals, or even randomly and very slowly through the match. They can clear after each individual game, or stay in place for the entire set of games if you choose more than 1. The boulders will be a non-harvest-able items, where you can exercise the collision logic. The attackers and gatherers would not be able to move into or occupy the space of a boulder, making it an object for them to move around in order to complete their task, whatever it happens to me. Boulders should occupy the entire cell, like gather units. (Maybe spawn at least 1 in the 13th column, in or between rows 7 and 19)

2. When a commander kills another attcker, give the dying commander a chance to spawn a 'heal' item. The killing/winning commander can harvest the 1hp heal, gaining back a lost hp. No gain if at max hp. You could put a 1 in 4, 1:3, 1:5 (whatever is 'balanced' to not be overpowering) chance at death. Gatherers can either harvest or ignore the HP item, but since they only have 1 hp anyway, and you cant go above your starting hp, they don't get 'buffed' above their original.

I will type up more when I have time :)

camerb
  • Moderators
  • 573 posts
There's a big, ol' edit button at the top right of the page on the wiki.

Carcophan
  • Members
  • 1578 posts

There's a big, ol' edit button at the top right of the page on the wiki.

The one that says 'Protected' :twisted: :?:

lagomorph
  • Members
  • 403 posts
It's set so only members can edit pages >_> sorry,

but Carcophan you're a member now!

And I just uploaded version 1.031 that fixes the winner display inconsistency and makes the average turns display correctly.

Carcophan
  • Members
  • 1578 posts
So for etiquette, do you want all posts on the wiki?

Or do you want ahk related stuff here on the forums, and any game and wishlist and bug and non-code related stuff on the wiki?

I don't want to make you have to bounce between sites, but I want to keep the thread active :)

EDIT1:
I do have a 'technical' question though.

I am curious. You have any given gatherer moving towards any given mineral. The second that said mineral spawns, the gatherers start moving towards it in an attempt to harvest it. Knowing that the gatherer has already identified the mineral node, and is thus en route, what is the need for the AA_Scan and the blue circle, and removing the black dot on the mineral?

Is one a 'rough estimate' and the other is a 'fine tune'? Or is it more for visual?

EDIT2:
I have noticed, though I have no proof, reason or guess why, it seems some of purples gatherers get stuck in the last column, #25 often. It is not every game and I have not seen a consistent pattern yet. I have noticed that when they do get stuck in column 25, if one is around, sometimes a single purple gatherer will get stuck in row 22 on the right half of the board. I will start to take screenshots and post them somewhere to link here.

By 'stuck' i mean, they do not move towards minerals, or the minerals are possibly out of range to their primary scan. That, or they just move up one and down one square at a time, back and forth, or they remain idle in a single square for several turns.

The effect does not last all match, and is generally resolved if a mineral spawns anywhere near the lower right corner of the map.

The 'sticking' seems to be initiated when their is a single mineral node on on or near column 25, with several gatherers near or moving in. Once the node is gone they kind of just bunch together.

EDIT3:
Do you have a need for or desire for an output log? Something that tracks moves so that they can be 'played back'? This is useful in the event of a unique error, and would allow others to duplicate it. Though I do not know how easy or reasonable it would be to add. You wouldn't want a bunch of files, so maybe use the same filecreate filedelete on game load, and have an 'export log' option somewhere to log only chosen battle.s

Carcophan
  • Members
  • 1578 posts
And yay! for my 1000th post being hidden in here somewhere. 8) :!:

None
  • Members
  • 3199 posts
  • Last active: Nov 05 2015 09:55 PM

And yay! for my 1000th post being hidden in here somewhere. 8) :!:

Congats :D

lagomorph
  • Members
  • 403 posts

So for etiquette, do you want all posts on the wiki?

Or do you want ahk related stuff here on the forums, and any game and wishlist and bug and non-code related stuff on the wiki?

Completely up to you - I will read and respond either way!

The Scan/Visibility game mechanic was created as a way to increase the depth of strategy and as a means to balance the game. The possibilities for unit types and army compositions increase greatly with the Scan mechanic, it is unique, and I find it to be fun. As a means for balance, it helps prevent "Tower turtling" by building 4x attack module turrets all around your commander and then chilling. Without the scan mechanic, turtling becomes too powerful and encourages defensive play. Requiring that a unit be scanned before it is attacked would force a turtling player to also build "scan towers (4x scan module units) to be the "eyes" for his missile turrets. This, of course opens a vulnerability for the other player to "take out the eyes" of his opponent, effectively blinding the missile turrets. Anyways - bottom line is, it opens the door to much greater strategy and a deeper, more interesting and unique game.

If you want to think of it in "real" terms, your army has knowledge of enemy forces and their individual "sector coordinates", but upon closing the distance towards an enemy unit, your bots need a direct target lock before being able to fire their weapons!

As for the "sticking" gatherers in the 25th column, I am aware of the phenomenon and I am working to determine the cause and fix it! (my suspicion is that they are targeting a mineral that they are unable to reach)

Do you have a need for or desire for an output log? Something that tracks moves so that they can be 'played back'?

This would indeed be useful, I will keep it in mind as a potentially useful idea for debugging!

lagomorph
  • Members
  • 403 posts

1. Boulders. Or rocks. Similar to how the minerals that spawn.

I have considered something similar in coming out in the future with different game board configurations to challenge player's scripts. Perhaps each season will feature a different map layout (some with boulders!). Good idea.

2. When a commander kills another attcker, give the dying commander a chance to spawn a 'heal' item.

I would like to keep the rules as simple as possible for now, but in early design stage of the game I had seriously considered having upgrade modules spawn randomly around the map like minerals do, and if a unit gets the upgrade it would increase one of the unit's stats (even beyond the 4-module-limit). I also considered having unit production take place in neutral "Factories" on the board that had to be occupied - and defended in order to produce new units. For now, I am happy with the core mechanics of the game and would like to see what players can do with the current game before rolling out new game boards, new modules, and other cool features. But please keep the ideas coming! ^_^

Carcophan
  • Members
  • 1578 posts

But please keep the ideas coming! ^_^

It seems like we are actually pretty much on the same page. You explained the scan concept well, and your hinting at tower defense excites me as I was hoping to modify your boards in a tower defense kind of way.

One of my favorite online games ever is called GemCraft (and the sequel GemCraft Chapter 0). I have always, more than anything AHK related, wanted to create a AHK clone of that game. You are helping bring that possibility ever closer to reality!

LiquidGravity
  • Members
  • 156 posts
  • Last active: Oct 11 2014 04:11 PM
I find this a very interesting project. I'll join up. I have a bug and some great ideas.

Bug:
Player 1 always goes first which may be an advantage or a disadvantage.
For example make both sample player scripts only build attack units and run it. Since there are an odd number of spots in between the commanders player1's attacker gets one extra move only to be scanned first and ambushed by player2s attacker. Alternatively if there is an even number of spots between the commanders player2's attacker would end up moving into player1's attackers scan.
Bug Fix:
Alternate each round between player1 going first and player2 going first and run an even number of rounds.
OR better yet:
"roll a dice" every other turn to see the order of the next two turns - this could possibly leave a player go twice in a row but never 3 times - but both players would have this same chance.

Idea:
Simply include the players name in a variable in the script.
OR better yet:
Change the filename from player1script.ahk to a format like player_[players name].ahk. Then simply list all of the player files found in the directory and let the user pick one for player1 and then another for player2 - hell it could probably even be made to let the user pick the same script for both.

The rest of my ideas I'm keeping to myself for now for a competitive advantage later. :lol:

I do have a question though - does the following variable reset/update after moves/deaths/other?
1_1_1_visible: 0 Whether the unit has been scanned or not

If you need assistance coding any of these ideas I'll gladly help.

camerb
  • Moderators
  • 573 posts
LiquidGravity:

We were actually talking about implementing most of those ideas while we were in irc yesterday. I'm in the middle of trying to get together a fix that would allow the user to use a FileChooser to pick which player scripts they would like to run. This would involve storing the player name in a variable in the file, as you said. It's a pretty major re-write, so I'm going to take a few days and test it out thoroughly... expect to see a new version out early next week (pending lagomorph's approval).

We're also thinking about the disadvantage that player two has, since he always goes second. I'm gonna vote for alternating the first player every round, rather than the dice option. That seems like it would make more sense to newbies who want to pick up the game and start playing.

Those are my thoughts... thanks for yours, LiquidGravity.

And oh yeah... this project is so exciting!