Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

AHK Programming Arena suggestions, questions and bug reports

• Please log in to reply
91 replies to this topic
lagomorph
  • Members
  • 403 posts
  • Last active: May 15 2014 03:41 PM
I would prefer players do their own testing and find their own methods to evaluate their scripts - and then let the true trial be the 100 matches your script plays against every other player's scripts. During the youtube video replays I will give audio commentary and analysis on script performance.

But I could definitely see a place in the game in the future for an "advanced" stats mode that gives graphs on player performance and metrics like you suggested on gatherer efficiency and whatnot! So I'll keep it in mind for sure.

camerb
  • Moderators
  • 573 posts
  • Last active: Sep 14 2015 03:32 PM
I don't think I'd use either of those, although you could easily get the "gatherer harvest rate" by taking the total resources divided by the turn number. People who are really interested could add that on their own. The attack rate would be even more advanced.

An advanced stats button would definitely be necessary if we wanted to add more stats to the game. I think that would be awesome to see, and it would allow beginners to see lots of stats without much effort. However, I probably won't be the one to program that one. I'd suggest that such a button would open up a new window and show another window full of awesome stats. Anyway, leave that for the future, but I'll make a new page on the wiki for ideas for future features.
Aren't you glad that I didn't put an annoying gif here?

lagomorph
  • Members
  • 403 posts

I'll make a new page on the wiki for ideas for future features.

THIS!!

I've been meaning to add that.

MasterFocus
  • Moderators
  • 4323 posts
  • Last active: Jan 28 2016 01:38 AM
Hey lagomorph, I've checked the Arena's source and it looks like PlayerClassXCountUnit should be decreased whenever a unit of that class is killed, but it doesn't seem to work. The variable is never decreased.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Antonio França -- git.io -- github.com -- ahk4.net -- sites.google.com -- ahkscript.org

Member of the AHK community since 08/Apr/2009. Moderator since mid-2012.

lagomorph
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Hey lagomorph, I've checked the Arena's source and it looks like PlayerClassXCountUnit should be decreased whenever a unit of that class is killed, but it doesn't seem to work. The variable is never decreased.

That bug was fixed in version 1.1. But thank you ^_^ Have you updated your game files?

MasterFocus
  • Moderators
  • 4323 posts
Man, I have JUST tested it. Was going to edit my post. LOL

I managed to call a few functions of my own instead of subroutines and use only the necessary global variables.
Seems to work (my AI still beats the template).

EDIT: I am testing my AI (P2) against Lagos (P1) and sometimes I win the match but the text shows "Lagos wins".

EDIT 2: Shouldn't AA_Scan have an "out of range" return value?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Antonio França -- git.io -- github.com -- ahk4.net -- sites.google.com -- ahkscript.org

LiquidGravity
  • Members
  • 156 posts
  • Last active: Oct 11 2014 04:11 PM
I guess I can wait till later for a stat module increase to test more ideas. I'm still wishing that there was more hp for the commander though. Its far to easy to defeat with a quick early attack.

I think we may need an easy way to tell if your player 1 or player2. Something like

Are there any early volunteers to share their best AI so far? Something to set a baseline to see what were up against. Or like scouting the opposition. I have a feeling they will be vastly different then the examples. If you show me yours I'll show you mine! :lol:

Just an FYI: I added a copy of the rules to the wiki. I totally missed them originally since I wasn't ready to look at how to submit anything. In a related note is there a limit to the number of submissions someone can make?

Actually you give it the name of one of your units and it scans a radius around itself, so there is nothing specific being checked for.

lagomorph
  • Members
  • 403 posts

EDIT: I am testing my AI (P2) against Lagos (P1) and sometimes I win the match but the text shows "Lagos wins".

I haven't been able to recreate the bug. What happens when you switch the player numbers so you're P1 and Lagos is P2?

It is possible to scan empty spaces, so you're never "out of range."

lagomorph
  • Members
  • 403 posts

I'm still wishing that there was more hp for the commander though. Its far to easy to defeat with a quick early attack.

I think players will get beat by early rushes until they figure out how to survive early game. Then things will get really interesting. But if it turns out commanders need a buff, I'll certainly do that.

I think we may need an easy way to tell if your player 1 or player2. Something like

like what?!

Just an FYI: I added a copy of the rules to the wiki.

Thank you!

In a related note is there a limit to the number of submissions someone can make?

A player can have multiple scripts on the ladder each Season (indeed, a single player could hold all the top spots on the ladder with multiple scripts!). You can continue to submit revisions or new scripts up until Season End and then the Season winners are declared and replay commentaries will be posted. Good question - I'll add this stuff to the 'rules' and 'submission' pages right now.

Edit: multiple submissions from the same player need to be reasonably different, not just the same script 10 times with like 1 variable changed. I'd also request that players submit a brief description of their general strategy along with their script for use with the replay commentary.

Edit: Season 1 ends Monday, July 5th 2010. Please have your submissions in before then for competition! I just changed this thread topic title and I am now making a new thread for Season 1 submissions, discussion, strategy, etc.

tidbit
  • Administrators
  • 2709 posts
  • Hates playing Janitor
  • Last active: Jan 15 2016 11:37 PM
why Email the script where there is a nice Comment feature on the blog? upload and post url as a comment.

rawr. be very afraid
*poke*
. Populate the AutoHotkey city. Pointless but somewhat fun. .

lagomorph
  • Members
  • 403 posts
Just realized players can build FREE units by building unit type 000000. The unit will only have 1 hp and won't be able to do anything - like a wall ^_^

The cost would be the cooldown on your builder unit!

LiquidGravity logged off
  • Guests
  • Last active:

like what?!

Sorry I stopped mid sentence there. I was thinking it may be good to know if we player 1 at the top of the field or player 2 at the bottom so movement could be better determined. I figured out this issue though and apparently didn't erase it all.

MasterFocus
  • Moderators
  • 4323 posts

building unit type 000000

Is this a problem? In fact, I intended to do that. :X

Also, about AA_Scan, I supposed I'd get this answer, but asking wouldn't hurt.

lagomorph
  • Members
  • 403 posts

building unit type 000000

Is this a problem?

Not at all! 15 or 8 turns cooldown on a builder unit is a steep price for a 1hp wall that can't do anything! I'll be impressed if someone can figure out how to use walls effectively :wink:

Carcophan
  • Members
  • 1578 posts
  • Last active: Nov 27 2013 06:46 PM

I'll be impressed if someone can figure out how to use walls effectively

Sounds like a challenge to me!