Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

It is now possible to change your user name on the forum

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic
Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
I noticed a setting that allows user name changes, so I enabled it. Thus, if you want to change the capitalization of your name or pick an entirely new name, just click the Profile link near the top of the screen.

AHKNow*
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Would this move, not start confustion? Not so much for you, since your the admin. and are checking out IPs, but for others that visit the forum.

If I change my name, like almost every time I came, then would this not make it difficult for other forum users to figure who they are "talking" with, the history of what is going, etc....?

Plus, you already allow Guest logins. So if somebody wanted to change their name, they could easily do it by using that method.

I'm just curious as to the whole logic involving name changes and even the guest logins, since many other forums don't allow this.

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:

If I change my name, like almost every time I came, then would this not make it difficult for other forum users to figure who they are "talking" with, the history of what is going, etc....?

True, but I think most people would factor this in when deciding whether to change their name, and how similar the new name should be to the old one.

Also, someone can always sign up for a new username and abandon their old one. Allowing name changes avoids the need for that, though it does open the door to potential misuse.

Thanks for your comments.

Marcus013
  • Members
  • 5 posts
  • Last active: Sep 14 2012 10:27 AM
Its sound very good that we can change user name..Thanks for the information.

JSLover
  • Members
  • 920 posts
  • Last active: Nov 02 2012 09:54 PM

Its sound very good that we can change user name..Thanks for the information.

...I'm sorry to say, Marcus013, sounds like a bot...registering, replying with no useful info -- probably preparing for spam in the future.

In any case: Marcus013, if you are (somehow) not a future spambot: you replied to a topic that's over 7 years old -- & it doesn't even apply anymore, cuz, since the forum upgrade, polyethene (the new Admin, after Chris) HASN'T RE-ENABLED THIS FEATURE...you can NOT change your username (without Admin help).

I noticed a setting that allows user name changes, so I enabled it.

...polyethene: if you hadn't noticed: This feature got disabled during the upgrade. Chris enabled this feature on purpose (once he found it), I'd like it if you'd re-enable this feature. You yourself even used it (I think even before becoming Admin), when you renamed from Titan to polyethene. So please re-enable a feature Chris enabled & you even used. I understand if it just "got lost" during the upgrade & you didn't notice it -- I noticed it immediately, but never reported it yet.
Useful forum links: New content since: Last visitPast weekPast 2 weeks (links will show YOUR posts, not mine)

OMFG, the AutoHotkey forum is IP.board now (yuck!)...I may not be able to continue coming here (& I love AutoHotkey)...I liked phpBB, but not this...ugh...

Note...
I may not reply to any topics (specifically ones I was previously involved in), mostly cuz I can't find the ones I replied to, to continue helping, but also just cuz I can't stand the new forum...phpBB was soo perfect. This is 100% the opposite of "perfect".

I also semi-plan to start my own, phpBB-based AutoHotkey forum (or take over the old one, if he'll let me)
PM me if you're interested in a new phpBB-based forum (I need to know if anyone would use it)
How (or why) did they create the Neil Armstrong memorial site (neilarmstronginfo.com) BEFORE he died?

tomoe_uehara
  • Members
  • 2166 posts
  • Last active: Jun 11 2015 05:33 PM
And I now I believe we can change our display name, with a delay of 30 days between each changes.

RaptorX
  • Members
  • 751 posts
  • Last active: Feb 19 2015 02:47 AM
Yes.
Also as far as I can tell you can check the Username History of any user. So if you suspect someone who was spamming changed his nick you can check on there.
AutoHotkey Toolkit [Main Project]
Scintilla Wrapper
LexAHKL