Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

[AHKTuts] AHK Video Tutorials

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic
JoeSchmoe
  • Members
  • 304 posts
  • Last active: Feb 28 2013 05:39 PM
@Tuncay: I think that the combination of spoken text and video in a screencast video is pretty important. I've noticed that the Germans I know often have much better English than they think they do. Perhaps you could try one out where you wrote out the script in English first. Otherwise, I think that German language vids would probably be quite helpful, as would organizing the existing vids in the wiki.

For anyone interested in trying this, Ian Ozsvald from Procast has done a excellent series of 9 short blog posts on how to make screencasts. I highly recommend them. They're assembled into a tutorial here:
<!-- m -->http://blog.screento... ... screencast<!-- m -->

Speaking of Screentoaster, I've found it to be a really easy to use tool for making quick screencasts to show friends. It's completely web based, so you just surf to their home page, click record, do you stuff, and then hit "upload" to upload it to their site where it is hosted for free.

Tuncay
  • Members
  • 1945 posts
  • Last active: Feb 08 2015 03:49 PM
Thx, they look useful. I was searching for some tipps and example screencasts. This is useful.

No signature.

RaptorX
  • Members
  • 751 posts
  • Last active: Feb 19 2015 02:47 AM
New content Added:
[Beginners Playlist] <!-- m -->http://www.youtube.c... ... 3E8DBED76C<!-- m -->

Current Contents:
--Autohotkey Tutorials for Beginners--
0x0 - Introduction
1x0 - Variables p1
1x0 - Variables p2
2x0 - If-Else Basics new

--

Tuncay if you dont speak much english you can talk to me, present the idea and what you want to transmit and I can do the video for you, my wife is german so you can send an email completely in german if you want (i speak it, a little). I do want to review scripts like the solitary automation, you learn a lot from watching other people's scripts, I might break it on several sections though...

Also, I will be reviewing software (i will put them in the advanced section), specially those that you guys want videos for, like e.g. Scite4Autohotkey, thing is that some times it takes little time for me to create the videos, but i will try to upload as fast as i can.

Ideas are VERY welcome, I will try to answer direct questions on the Q&A section if I consider the question to be a FAQ or one that might be very useful.

About one of the videos being blocked in Germany, Yes i am trying to fix that, it is because of the first 5-8 secs of the video... pretty annoying.

Thanks guys for the support I will definitely need some help soon so dont hesitate to PM me.

JoeSchmoe
  • Members
  • 304 posts
  • Last active: Feb 28 2013 05:39 PM
Great work. I was just thinking, I wonder if LifeHacker might be willing to link to these videos (or perhaps from Wikipedia?) eventually.

Also, I will be reviewing software (i will put them in the advanced section), specially those that you guys want videos for, like e.g. Scite4Autohotkey, thing is that some times it takes little time for me to create the videos, but i will try to upload as fast as i can.

Ideas are VERY welcome, I will try to answer direct questions on the Q&A section if I consider the question to be a FAQ or one that might be very useful.

What you choose to cover is of course 100% your choice since it's your project. I had another idea for an advanced tutorial, though. It would be about how to use Debugview with OutputDebug. I consider myself pretty smart (graduate degree in math!), but I've never used a debugger before (much like AHK's core audience), so OutputDebug was a command that I just ignored for a long time. I had no idea how easy it was, though, with Debugview being a simple and portable program. Find out about that was a big help for me, and I think that a video could make the program much less intimidating.

RaptorX
  • Members
  • 751 posts
@JoeSchmoe

Thanks for your support!
I have been manually using ListVars and Pause to debug my scripts until you mentioned this little program, I have been studying and testing this little command and I must say I am impressed. It is indeed easy to use and I had DebugView in my PC since long time but never used it (it is part of the sysinternals suite which I use very often), I think now I have good use to it.

Today I will start recording a video for the advanced section on usual steps on how to debug a script, which as you pointed out might be of help to a lot of people here in the community.

Thanks for the suggestion!

I would like to ask for you guys to post or link to any buggy scripts that you have (not more than 100-200 lines please) so I can include an example on my video. If you guys dont post any I will try to create examples but it would be great if I can base the video on real life examples.

Thanks again guys for your support!

-RaptorX

Frankie
  • Members
  • 2930 posts
  • Last active: Feb 05 2015 02:49 PM

I would like to ask for you guys to post or link to any buggy scripts that you have

You could just make up a script of common mistakes, and show users how to correct them. Of course explaining why they are wrong to start with and how and why you fixed them.
aboutscriptappsscripts
Request Video Tutorials Here or View Current Tutorials on YouTube
Any code ⇈ above ⇈ requires AutoHotkey_L to run

RaptorX
  • Members
  • 751 posts

I would like to ask for you guys to post or link to any buggy scripts that you have

You could just make up a script of common mistakes, and show users how to correct them. Of course explaining why they are wrong to start with and how and why you fixed them.

yes, i agree and that will be part of the video, the other thing that i wanted to show was a real life example.

The reason is that when i create example scripts I have noticed it is easy to find the mistakes even if i dont use any debugging methods, real life bugs are difficult to track, usually very annoying to find them and it would be good for me to show my usual steps when debugging a simple script besides the example ones.

Not sure if I'm going overkill on that one, but is just an idea.

Frankie
  • Members
  • 2930 posts
Completely IMO, video tutorials should show a very controlled idea or topic. A full script just would be too much for a quick tutorial. I think I would max it at about 40 lines of code. Again this is completely IMO and they are your tutorials so do them the way you think is best.
aboutscriptappsscripts

RaptorX
  • Members
  • 751 posts
New content Added:
[Beginners Playlist] <!-- m -->http://www.youtube.c... ... 3E8DBED76C<!-- m -->

Current Contents:
--Autohotkey Tutorials for Beginners--
0x0 - Introduction
1x0 - Variables p1
1x0 - Variables p2
2x0 - If-Else Basics
3x0 - If-Else Special Operands - [and ] [or] [not] new
--

Well guys, bad news, my 2yr old baby broke my headsets so i cant do more tutorials until i buy new ones (which might be in a few weeks).

I was in the middle of doing the vid for the Advanced section about debugging scripts which will cover DebugView and other methods for finding errors on your code which because of this is going to be delayed.

I had the tutorial about If-Else Statements already recorded and i just uploaded it, so feel free to check that one out. :)

Chicken Pie 4 Tea
  • Members
  • 379 posts
  • Last active: Dec 12 2014 06:46 PM
I looked on youtube for ahk tutorials and your vids were the best by far.
Just having a video with voice was a big improvement. So many youtube vids are just frantic mouse clicking with some text popups!
"Choose your parents wisely"

• Guests
  • Last active:
Thanks a lot for these. I have been waiting for something like these videos for long. I forget what I read quickly. So videos are good for learning. thanks

x79animal
  • Members
  • 1021 posts
  • Last active: May 14 2013 04:21 PM
You should do a gui tutorial as no-one really seems to use it because they are confused

genmce
  • Members
  • 144 posts
  • Last active: May 21 2015 03:09 PM
Maybe this would be good at the tutorials for newbies thread under ask for help?

<!-- m -->http://www.autohotke...pic.php?t=47791<!-- m -->

Nice tuts, thanks a bunch!

KeyMce/GenMce - mackie emulator for pc keyboard/Convert your controller to mackie.
Midi I/O - Want to play with midi/ahk? links dead.. pm me

Frankie
  • Members
  • 2930 posts
You should post your tutorials on the wiki.
Tutorial page: <!-- m -->http://www.autohotke... ... =Tutorials<!-- m -->

If I find some time, I'll do a Gui tutorial.
aboutscriptappsscripts

RaptorX
  • Members
  • 751 posts
I was already thinking about it, I even created an account to mod the wiki but I am not sure in which section to post it since I do tutorials for each level. :roll: