Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

« AHK FAQ »

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic
SoLong&Thx4AllTheFish
  • Members
  • 4999 posts
  • Last active:
Added:
- Can I protect my source code? (added the links)
- General Programming discussions

Suggested topic for Security:
- Something about Vista/Win7 run with UAC/Admin settings (don't use the OS so can't be sure of correct answers)

Edit:
- Added: How can I pass on variables from one script to another? (new cat 'communcation' could be used for tcp/ip faqs as well

Edit2:
- FAQ about 'future of AutoHotkey' as the repetitive 'dead/not-dead' posts are getting pretty lame

Edit3:
- Added links to the 4-5-6-7-8-... various versions of AHK

jaco0646
  • Moderators
  • 3165 posts
  • Last active: Apr 01 2014 01:46 AM
Does this style look better, if we skip the second-level headings and go straight to the third: FAQ - AutoHotkey? I know Wikipedia discourages that, but second-level headings each include a horizontal rule, and the page ends up looking like a grid. The Script Listing page skips from one to three as well.

Several of the things that the OP posted were in fact FAQs (i.e. KeySpamming).

OP, please repost a list of these or better yet, put the links in the Wiki.

SoLong&Thx4AllTheFish
  • Members
  • 4999 posts
  • Last active:

Does this style look better, if we skip the second-level headings and go straight to the third: FAQ - AutoHotkey?

Looks fine to me:

Added:
- <!-- m -->http://www.autohotke... ... Editors.3F<!-- m -->
with general, Discussion, editors, tools that should cover that FAQ quite nicely (not sure what to do with these subheadings like Discussion, Editors, looks fine to me like it is but feel free to adjust.

SoLong&Thx4AllTheFish
  • Members
  • 4999 posts
  • Last active:
- Restructured tanks edits (heading style) <!-- m -->http://www.autohotke... ... Q#Versions<!-- m -->
- added two tools in the editors section

tomoe_uehara
  • Members
  • 2166 posts
  • Last active: Jun 11 2015 05:33 PM
Does ascending sort make them easier to read?

jaco0646
  • Moderators
  • 3165 posts
I had thought about that, but no, not really.

I guess it would be nice to have the links in order representing how important they are. That way I always know to start at #1.

Ideally, there is one great link to answer each question. If not, the best link should top the list. Meaning the one which is most helpful, and gives the most common, or often used, answer to the question. Remember that if it takes 5-10 links to answer a question it may not really be a FAQ, especially for technical questions. At the very least, someone should write a more concise answer the next time the question comes up in that case.

EDIT: I've rolled back the alphabetization, since at least some of the edits were to links I had read and intentionally placed in order of importance.

SoLong&Thx4AllTheFish
  • Members
  • 4999 posts
  • Last active:
Added Browser FAQ
<!-- m -->http://www.autohotke... ... Automation<!-- m -->
perhaps add a link about 'how to sign in at website X' (mostly gmail it seems)?

Another one would be how to send Email
(threads: blat, cdo, cmdline (run mailto or run mailprg.exe)

wooly_sammoth
  • Members
  • 644 posts
  • Last active: Jul 03 2013 08:08 PM
Hi everyone.

I'd like to lend a hand with this FAQ in any way I can.
I shall have a look through the suggestions at the beginning of this topic and start working through.

I had a look through some of the posts listed in the FAQ and it strikes me that while they do answer the questions, it is not always in the clearest, most newby friendly way.
What would be everyones thoughts on 'engineering' some forum posts with a well formed question and a succinct, descriptive answer with plenty of newby friendly explanation.
I'm just interested to see what people think about this idea. I think the FAQ has the potential to become a very useful and powerful resource but the friendlier we can make it, the easier it will be to point newbys in its direction and let them discover ways to seek answers and solve problems.

[edit] OK. I've taken hugov's suggestion and added a section about E-Mail. I've not edited a wiki before so it's more to test that I'm doing it right. Is there any way to get the links to open in a new tab or window? I think it would be useful for newbys to have the FAQ open in one window and see the posts in another.

SoLong&Thx4AllTheFish
  • Members
  • 4999 posts
  • Last active:
Thanks for the Email faq, good links :wink:

The problem is of course the question may sound easy, the answer may not be. For example Javascript/COM for browsers is never going to be a noob friendly answer, but it is the the best one.

There are a number of topics where a good noob friendly tutorial will be very welcome, GUI for example. This could also be done in the Wiki but shouldn't be part of this FAQ.

wooly_sammoth
  • Members
  • 644 posts
  • Last active: Jul 03 2013 08:08 PM
I realise that things like COM and Javascript for browsers will be better served by the full answer rather than a newby friendly construct but there is a middle ground that could benefit from this.
I do take your point however that the place for these is the wiki and not answering my own questions in a forum post.

I'll start jotting some ideas down for a GUI tutorial as that was definitely the main stumbling block for me when I started learning AHK.

With regards my question about opening links in a new window, I searched for how to do this and found that all the links are already designed to do this. Must be my IE6 that work forces me to use.

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: May 02 2019 09:16 PM
"Hello world" like examples are something every language (that i know much about) has except AHK it seems. For the most part i have attempted to stay clear of most of the COM related stuff since Jethrow rightfully started pointing folks to the AHK_L fork. I cant use it since i spend all my time on a work PC and our version is set in virtual stone. However there are a couple basic FAQ items for COM and separately Javascript

What is a Browser?
seems a silly question but how many know gecko from webkit for instance. From an automation standpoint it makes alot of difference

Why dont AHK control commands "See" the browser controls

When to or not to use urldownloadtofile?

What is a query string and how can it be used to send data to a web site

What is Javascript?

What is the best place to learn Javascript?

What role does Javascript Play with Browsers?

What is ActiveX?

What is the best place to learn ActiveX?

What well known browsers support ActiveX?

What is COM?

Arent ActiveX and COM the same thing?

What is the best place to learn COM?

Where can i ask about methods/properties/members for some COM or ActiveX object

What Methods exist within AHK to use Javascript with a Browser or other applications?

What Methods exist within AHK to use ActiveX with a Browser or other applications?

What Methods exist within AHK to use COM with a Browser or other applications

A little info about Security Zones and BHO's and how they can affect your automation tasks

I will as soon as i can write this FAQ feel free to suggest other questions

Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

Tuncay
  • Members
  • 1945 posts
  • Last active: Feb 08 2015 03:49 PM
Ok it looks great, the FAQ. I love it. Wonderful work and project. If I can help, I will add something.

No signature.

SoLong&Thx4AllTheFish
  • Members
  • 4999 posts
  • Last active:
To add: A Game section would be useful, also with links to other sites like <!-- m -->http://www.dual-boxi...ndex.php/Guides<!-- m --> which seem useful. And of course the: how can I spam a key -> try this -> works great but not in my game -> read the faq about games. -> that solves it thank you threads that must have a few hundred versions on the forum.

Tuncay
  • Members
  • 1945 posts
  • Last active: Feb 08 2015 03:49 PM
What do you say to this? Is it ok to add these?

New main topic: Syntax Confusions

Question: Expressions - What is the difference between "=" and ":=" and when to use "%"?

Search-terms: expression, value
- if (var1 = var2 and var3 = var4) - is not working. Why?
- jaco0646`s Tutorial explaining Traditional vs ExpressionI am not sure, if I understand the spirit of the FAQ. So, first I ask here.

No signature.

jaco0646
  • Moderators
  • 3165 posts
The syntax information is written more like tutorials, so happens to be there: Tutorials.