Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

« AHK FAQ »

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic
tomoe_uehara
  • Members
  • 2166 posts
  • Last active: Jun 11 2015 05:33 PM

Posted Image Press the 'Search' link and search for the word.. It's been answered about a gajillion times. Posted Image

[ Moderator!: Topic Trimmed ]

SoLong&Thx4AllTheFish
  • Members
  • 4999 posts
  • Last active:
It would be much better to post this in the Wiki here <!-- m -->http://www.autohotke... ... m_a_key.3F<!-- m --> that makes it much easier to make categories and those interested can keep it updated e.g. if this FAQ thread has 12 pages, nobody will be able to find what they searched for and also linking to it from other posts is harder and linking to specific section in wiki is easy and also links to the forum are easily copied from there.

Community project!

Also LINKING to it is much better than COPYING the code, so people can ask questions in the correct thread and the author of the code can answer questions + possible improve the code.

Randomly collecting code snippets in a forum thread is rather pointless, do it in the wiki in a similar setup to the script listing or don't do it all all.

<!-- m -->http://www.autohotke... ... pt_Listing<!-- m -->

One could consider a personal home thread like VxE (scripts, functions) and engunneer (help) <!-- m -->http://www.autohotke...topic21919.html<!-- m -->
but the wiki would allow any interested AutoHotkey forum member to contribute as opposed to engunneer personal thread for example.

jaco0646
  • Moderators
  • 3165 posts
  • Last active: Apr 01 2014 01:46 AM
All valid and reasonable points expressed by hugov, which were born out of multiple previous discussions. Now I don't have to repeat them. :wink:

Please do not copy code from one thread to another. Redundancy = clutter. A true collaborative effort should be organized and systematic. Randomly filling a thread with scripts helps no one.

I've been thinking about the Wiki FAQ for a long time, but like everyone else have not mustered the motivation to improve it. I believe a community effort would involve:[*:13a1vq3t]Defining what constitutes a FAQ. (We can't list them until we agree what they are.)
[*:13a1vq3t]Creating a list of FAQs.
[*:13a1vq3t]Categorizing the list for easier searching.
[*:13a1vq3t]Finding all previous posts related to each FAQ.
[*:13a1vq3t]Evaluating the previous posts to determine if one (or more) satisfactorily answers the FAQ.
[*:13a1vq3t]Either linking to a previous answer, or combing previous answers to make one concise answer.
[*:13a1vq3t]Updating the Wiki.
For example, we would start with a laundry list like the following:[*:13a1vq3t]How to change the default editor
[*:13a1vq3t]How to operate on multiple windows (GroupAdd or STMM)
[*:13a1vq3t]AV false positives
[*:13a1vq3t]Run at specified time
[*:13a1vq3t]Run at specified interval
[*:13a1vq3t]AHK vs. AutoIt
[*:13a1vq3t]Two operations from one button.
[*:13a1vq3t]IfWinActive vs. #IfWinActive
[*:13a1vq3t]Password protect a script.
[*:13a1vq3t]Is the /NoDecompile option secure?
[*:13a1vq3t]Can a variable be deleted?
[*:13a1vq3t]Which editor should I use?
[*:13a1vq3t]RegExMatch is not grep().
[*:13a1vq3t]Explanation of the Auto-execute section.
[*:13a1vq3t]time-limited script (expiration).
[*:13a1vq3t]Run while PC is locked.
[*:13a1vq3t]Get hardware information
[*:13a1vq3t]Can scripts be sold?
[*:13a1vq3t]Send to background/inactive window
[*:13a1vq3t]Hotkey vs. Hotkey command vs. Hotkey control
The first step is to determine whether each of these is a legitimate FAQ, or just a fad that has passed. Then they should be categorized, researched, evaluated, and updated. As you can see it's a lot of work to do it right. The ideal situation is when a "default" thread already exists for a FAQ and only one link is required (e.g. OK to sell?). Otherwise, a bit more work is needed. In any case, copying code from one location to another is counterproductive: just one more mess that no one will search through anyway.

Finally, it should be noted that this effort is primarily for the veteran helpers, as a library of answered topics. Newbies will generally not hunt down the information no matter how well documented it is. Expecting otherwise only leads to frustration, so don't think that this will in any way stop the number of redundant questions. It will simply provide a common repository of linked answers, to make the helpers' job easier, and to coordinate our efforts.

Elesar
  • Members
  • 696 posts
  • Last active: May 08 2015 09:51 PM
Several of the things that the OP posted were in fact FAQs (i.e. KeySpamming).

I do agree, however, that just placing it all in one thread can be counter-productive, creating more returns for searches that the person that needs the FAQ probably failed to even do in the first place.

Honestly, I had forgot that we even had a wiki, and I'm on this site for hours every day (what can I say, I get bored at work :p)

I'm willing to help construct the wiki, so I guess we should start off as jaco0646 said and start with analysis of the things we think are common enough to be considered FAQ, and finding the most appropriate solution to that question.

I also think that the personal knowledge repositories should be linked on the wiki as well, because they hold some true gems that are normally buried deep in the results of a search, unless you remember who authored what you are looking for. This, however, could bring some unwanted spam postings to their respective threads.

I'll start working toward this tonight while at work, provided I have my normal amount of free time. I will be on IRC also, so drop by and we can get this off to a good start.

tidbit
  • Administrators
  • 2709 posts
  • Hates playing Janitor
  • Last active: Jan 15 2016 11:37 PM
I also forgot we had a wiki. I've also never used it.
and IMO, this page just looks very messy.

rawr. be very afraid
*poke*
. Populate the AutoHotkey city. Pointless but somewhat fun. .

SoLong&Thx4AllTheFish
  • Members
  • 4999 posts
  • Last active:

I also forgot we had a wiki. I've also never used it.
and IMO, this page just looks very messy.

I don't agree with you it is messy, it is long but keeping it on one page does help in finding stuff with CTRL-F, the problem is with the names people give their functions/scripts. Some are useful "SmartGui Creator" others less so "Lil Builder" (the first indicates what it is about, the second no clue unless you look a the forum page)

Edit:
The FAQ should have a similar setup as the script listing, the current FAQ page <!-- m -->http://www.autohotke...x.php?title=FAQ<!-- m --> should be replaced and no (or hardly no) code examples should be in the wiki, just the topic with links to the most relevant forum threads.

Elesar
  • Members
  • 696 posts

...IMO, this page just looks very messy.

Aye, that it does, maybe we can break it out into more of a directory listing?
Have a page for each of the main points in the contents there, and break those down by specific tasks, maybe with a short description or more of a Q/A type page.

Q. How can I color individual lines in a ListView?
A. Please see ListView line colors (highlighting) by evl

I know its not that much different than what is there, but it may help break up the wall of links that is the current script listing.

As for searching with Ctrl+F, I would say that if we break it into major categories at a minimum, it would still help not having that massive wall, making it easier to narrow down your search before using that.

If you know that you want a GUI related script, just go to that page, it is intuative and quick, and will help those that don't remeber that they can search with Ctrl+F. (Honestly, I almost never remember that :oops: )

SoLong&Thx4AllTheFish
  • Members
  • 4999 posts
  • Last active:
@Elesar: That particular Q&A style might be hard to replicate in the Wiki, if you add a heading it will automatically add the Contents at the top so you can click down. Also for many FAQs there will me more than one link, e.g. there are various solutions for the uber-FAQ: How to spam a Key? and we should have links to 4-5 solutions for that one. Same with the Timer question, 3-4 solutions are present.

Also I don't think it is needed to add the forum user here, it is only extra work.

Splitting up in pages can always be done at a later stage if the pages gets very long, if you have 20 FAQs, 3-4 links per Q the page is still relatively short.

Elesar
  • Members
  • 696 posts
Aye, it can be done later, just throwing ideas out there to help get it organized in a manner where anybody can find an answer, not just people that are already familiar with what is listed.

IMO, the script listing page is already much too long. 55 pages if I were to print it. On my 1920x1080 monitor, with Chrome max'd the scrollbar is almost to its minimum size :!:

If you are a true newb to AHK and get pointed to that page, all your going to think is TLDR -> [newthread]plox hlp, i surched but cnt find key spamz!!![/newthread]

SoLong&Thx4AllTheFish
  • Members
  • 4999 posts
  • Last active:
We could start of with the laundry list and see how it goes, and they try to categorize it later, perhaps

--Game Macros
--File Management
--Flow of Control
--Functions
--GUI, MsgBox, InputBox
--Math Commands
--Keyboard Control
--Mouse Control
--Process Management
--Registry Management
--Sound Commands
--String Management
--Window Management
--Variables and Expressions
--HotKeys

The point is you link to a specific section/faq <!-- m -->http://www.autohotke... ... ng#ListBox<!-- m --> so the noob in question will only 'see' 3-4 links there and OK s/he will try the first one s/he finds which of course doesn't work, but it is not as much for the noobs but for the helpers (e.g. us here in this thread) to find useful links more quickly and also point the noob to the faq in question even if they don't try to understand, I search quite a lot, a ready made list as the FAQ would save ME time and I don't care about the noobs time :wink:

Elesar
  • Members
  • 696 posts
I see where you are coming from a bit better now. You are more concerned about our time required to answer requests as opposed to the new user's time to find the answer. This is logical since most of them don't take the time to search, and those of us concerned about the existence and organization of a FAQ in the first place will likely just be pointing them to the most accurate answer with the minimum required effort on our part.

The next issue is: What am I going to get for lunch/dinner on the way to work?

(sorry, but I'm hungry, and can't decide :p)

</offtopic>

SoLong&Thx4AllTheFish
  • Members
  • 4999 posts
  • Last active:
<offtopic>

The next issue is: What am I going to get for lunch/dinner on the way to work?

I hope there will be some good suggestions <!-- m -->http://www.autohotke...pic.php?t=60830<!-- m --> :wink: </offtopic>

SoLong&Thx4AllTheFish
  • Members
  • 4999 posts
  • Last active:
Perhaps an example works best
<!-- m -->http://www.autohotke... ... 2C_Malware<!-- m -->

tidbit
  • Administrators
  • 2709 posts
  • Hates playing Janitor
  • Last active: Jan 15 2016 11:37 PM

Also for many FAQs there will me more than one link

something like this might be good:
<text>Spam a key:</text> <urls>[1][2][3][4][5]</urls>

a short description (1-10 words) fallowed by numbered links.

rawr. be very afraid
*poke*
. Populate the AutoHotkey city. Pointless but somewhat fun. .

SoLong&Thx4AllTheFish
  • Members
  • 4999 posts
  • Last active:
That would like like this <!-- m -->http://www.autohotke... ... _Malware_2<!-- m -->

Note the "Related commands: Send, Loop, Hotkey" is just added as an example, in similar format as the AutoHotkey documentation one could include some links to AutoHotkey commands & functions related to the FAQ (not very helpful in this particular case)

Personally I'd prefer the first one and not the 1 2 3 style as the titles of the forum links also provide useful info at times