Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

My status and website changes

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic
JGR
  • Members
  • 59 posts
  • Last active: Feb 07 2012 08:49 PM
Many thanks for all that you've done Chris.
AHK has been invaluably useful over the years.

While brief, working with you was a pleasure.

I may well look into this latest branch. AHK_L looks interesting...
If you want to get my attention, PM me.

Other code:
Accent Script
npipe
TTDPatch

halweg
  • Members
  • 127 posts
  • Last active: Jul 06 2015 06:54 AM

My original motivation for starting the AutoHotkey project was to empower users, including non-programmers, to do automation and hotkeys. I wanted the scripting language to be kept simple yet flexible. I didn't want it to become a full-blown programming language.

Why?

Why this idea didn't work?
Why professional programmers started using AHK and calling for professional language features?
Why not every professional keyboard is shipped out with a CD with autohotkey.exe and sample ahk-scripts?
Why Chris doesn't make a lot of money this way?

Back to the roots!

Autohotkey saved me a lot of time and money, making my office much more efficently.
Please preserve the simple plain Autohotkey language for my childs!
Please make more money with it!

Posted Image

majkinetor
  • Moderators
  • 4512 posts
  • Last active: May 20 2019 07:41 AM
OYG

:lol:
Posted Image

Yogui
  • Members
  • 56 posts
  • Last active: Sep 13 2011 07:09 AM
Hi Chris,

Just THANKS!

BTW I've learn programing with AHK
Thanks, Yogui.

codybear
  • Members
  • 600 posts
  • Last active: Feb 09 2015 12:41 PM
Thanks for everything Chris. Sad to see you go.
I love this place more than other communities.

Erra
  • Members
  • 68 posts
  • Last active: Mar 07 2011 04:51 PM
Never programmed once in my life.

I was working in the office one day, copying the same note from a Word doc and pasting it in a database 1000 times over, and I thought "Man, there HAS to be a way to automate this or make it simpler."

So I started googling and found a lot of resources, some useful, some not. Then I found AutoHotKey. I read some reviews and took a look at the forums. Everyone said it had a steep learning curve for someone with no programming experience, but that the payoff would be totally worth it. The word "Powerful" was used to describe it more than once. So I thought, what the hell, lets give it a go.

Here I am, half a year later, on the verge of a big raise from my company for introducing and utilizing this wonderful tool. I don't think I even understand half of it all yet, and AHK_L is a distant and somewhat intimidating goal, but your program has been a game changer for me. I will continue to use AHK and reccomend it to everyone I can, and I have you to thank for all that Chris. Thank you for getting me into programming. Thank you for making my work life infinitely more productive and my home computer use infinitely more custimizable. Thank you for this wonderful and truly powerful program.

Thank you.

Jamie
  • Members
  • 129 posts
  • Last active: Dec 02 2012 04:59 AM
I just donated. (I had to search to find an ancient thread with a link.)

I have made money using AHK, and if it weren't for Chris' efforts, I probably wouldn't have made equivalent programs with other tools.

Snoopy
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Chris thank you so much for all your work and effort!! I cannot believe this...

I've learned programming with AutoHotkey and I've learned so much about computers in general thanks to you!

Ever since I discovered AutoHotkey 5 years ago I use it to write big and small scripts which make my life easier each and every day. Heck, you can build amazing applications with it! And I've built them!

One of my first scripts was 1500 lines long. I told a fellow colleague about it, a real developer btw, and he couldn't believe it! He must have been thinking "this guy is a genius". No I used AutoHotkey and all I had to do was to read the helpfile... the best helpfile I've ever read, that is!

I really can't think of another tool that has helped me so much in my day-to-day work on the computer. I cannot imagine living without it!

Please reconsider your decision if possible!

Stephan H.
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Hey Chris,

I now used AHK for several years. Just to say thank you I just made a donation for the project.

Thanks so much, I'd love to see V2

All the best.
Stephan H.

Hamlet
  • Members
  • 302 posts
  • Last active: Mar 23 2014 03:37 PM
I loved AHK !!!!
I loved AHK !!!!
I loved AHK !!!!

awannaknow
  • Members
  • 372 posts
  • Last active: Mar 03 2019 05:18 AM
Thank you Chris,

But don't give up, your v2 is a good idea.

I'm not a programmer and your tool was so helpful to help me to ease the use of my home computer.

May I say that I'm a programmer now ?
From mypoint of view and from where I started of I can say : yes.

You made me a programmer, chris !!!

What about money, is there a way to make some selling ahk made programs or subscription forum low monthly fee that will generate revenues, or anything that could help to leave you in charge of this marvelous thing, anyone around with ideas to solve this issue ?
Maybe a team going to Chris project direction will do ?

ezuk
  • Members
  • 149 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2013 08:54 AM
Many thanks for all you've done for AHK and the users over the years, and for making sure the project can still carry on. You've made a huge difference for many people's computing experience!

ewerybody
  • Members
  • 70 posts
  • Last active: Feb 01 2017 01:55 PM
Thanks to Autohotkey I was simply enabled doing things I never dreamt of :)
And I bet a lot of Autohotkey users see it like that! Chris, you deserve a lot of credit for this!

I cannot understand your actual motivations to turn away from it. But maybe you just felt it ran out of your desired control. Thanks to a lot of contributors thats ok.
I hope you find satisfaction in another project. What will that be? I'm curious?!

@halweg: money? okiplzdiethx!

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: May 02 2019 09:16 PM
Not sure why Chris hid this but the developers forum looks promising if he hever makes it show
Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

awannaknow
  • Members
  • 372 posts
  • Last active: Mar 03 2019 05:18 AM

Thank you Chris,

But don't give up, your v2 is a good idea.

I'm not a programmer and your tool was so helpful to help me to ease the use of my home computer.

May I say that I'm a programmer now ?
From mypoint of view and from where I started of I can say : yes.

You made me a programmer, chris !!!

What about money, is there a way to make some selling ahk made programs or subscription forum low monthly fee that will generate revenues, or anything that could help to leave you in charge of this marvelous thing, anyone around with ideas to solve this issue ?
Maybe a team going to Chris project direction will do ?

I up this post as it seems there's no solutions yet about keeping Chris Mallet in charge.

There definitely is a mine to dig in : Companies.
There is obviously no reason why they could not afford a cost to have the right to use ahk.
Here is the proofs of concept :

In No AHK at work?? :

as sinkfaze suggested its all about the bottom line

...My justification for autohotkey was proven in the first year with over 2 million in efficiencies saved cost of inaccuracy enteirng the same data in different systems only to have to have someone go back and correct it due to the customer finding out. and actual man hour reductions.
last year initiatives i wrote produced over 6 million in loss reductions. I might add i work in banking. I am but one of a team of 8 and the above was just my solo contributions. if those kinds of savings arent realistic thats fine but at the very least you should really drive home the poiint you can write this app that will save x dollars a month/year etc

And In No AHK at work??

tank makes a good point, math sells. I went on a smaller, more abstract scale: I took the average cost per hour of an employee . . . showed . . . the potential to save . . . provided by AHK, . . . A potential savings of $60,000 was enough to persuade them.

You see the point ? ? ?
Why is that companies could not be interested in saving 3 million in loss reductions and a potential savings of $30,000, while AutoHotkey could generate 3 million and $30,000 bottom line ?

And this is only taken from one post . . .

Do you think Chris Mallet, and a handfull of other genius coderz in there could benefit from this mana to fork anything they want from this original AHK.
And do wathever they whish too with all the Mana Flowing thru . . .

Am I wrong ? ? ?
What php/mysql, python, java, etc developping solutions do, if not doing that ?
Why would you let this slip thru other hands which could do exactly what you could have done yourself, reaping the benefits of what You created ?