Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

My status and website changes

• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic
tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: May 02 2019 09:16 PM
Your a fool. Charging for ahk is not the problem chris had. He dropped the effort because of developmental goal differences
Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

awannaknow
  • Members
  • 372 posts
  • Last active: Mar 03 2019 05:18 AM

Your a fool. Charging for ahk is not the problem chris had. He dropped the effort because of developmental goal differences

If you think of me as The Fool on the Hill I can only say thank you.
It's more than a compliment.
You're a man of good taste as you appear to like The Beatles.
:p
Also, I try to find a solution, for the creator needs a little consideration for what he's done, don't you think ?
As money is often the answer, even in open source world :
I changed my default license from GNU (L)GPL to New BSD
From Guest Posted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:19 pm
". . . if you make money by using a program, you can afford to pay for it...or at least donate something."
I see this especially true and applyable to Companies, which made individual donation unnecessary.
And I just found the thread about AHK, Chris and other developpers history and future :
Why isn't anybody helping Chris with the original branch?
In this thread I found a plan worth thinking about, from Donv Posted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:46 pm :
RE: A plan is required

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: May 02 2019 09:16 PM
since you havent paid attention to Chris stated issues in this and other threads. I will discontinue arguing with an idiot.

I love how some members of this forum think that Chris cant/wont speak for himself. :oops: They then make assumptions about his motivations contrary to what he has stated in multiple threads. :roll:

When any of you wake up and learn to read and keep Chris's many conversations of the license and reason for the current license in context. then fine concoct a plan that wont get executed. but what pisses me off :x (it would if I were in Chris's Shoes) is when people start assuming the problem is something other than I have stated like a hundred times

:idea: Perhaps while we are making assumptions its the idiots too that have drivenn constructive development away from the primary(secondary?) version of AHK.

Perhaps if any of the assumers had exchanged an email or 2 with Chris in the past you would quit assuming he is an imbecel. If he wanted/could charge for AHK he wouldnt need you to come up with the ideas. if he wanted/could change the license easily he also wouldnt need you to come up with the idea. If he had stopped development for these or any other reasons he would have stated them.

now quit it
Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

awannaknow
  • Members
  • 372 posts
  • Last active: Mar 03 2019 05:18 AM
Well, at that point, I don't know I tried to give ideas to help.
Sometimes a new and fresh point of view could shed lights.
You all know the problem more intricately than I do, and so are more capable to solve it.

JDN
  • Members
  • 313 posts
  • Last active: Sep 03 2016 06:51 AM
IMO, Chris has produced one of the greatest tools ever for both programmers and non-programmers alike.

I think of you in the Top Ten of computer geniuses. People who created things like PGP and Skype and other tools that have made a huge difference to many people.

I sincerely hope that you will one day get all the recognition and other rewards that you deserve.

Learning one
  • Members
  • 1483 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2016 02:30 PM

IMO, Chris has produced one of the greatest tools ever for both programmers and non-programmers alike.
I think of you in the Top Ten of computer geniuses. People who created things like PGP and Skype and other tools that have made a huge difference to many people.
I sincerely hope that you will one day get all the recognition and other rewards that you deserve.

+1. Once again; Thank You Chris!

olfen
  • Members
  • 115 posts
  • Last active: Dec 25 2012 09:48 AM
+1, here too.

---.Wolverine.///
  • Members
  • 1 posts
  • Last active: Apr 12 2011 01:11 PM
Chris Mallet-> your a god among insect never let anyone tell you different.....

best a luck too u in what ever u do in the future?

If you only knew the power of the Dark Side "coughs" autohotkeys :mrgreen:

thank u so so so much for autohotkeys and long live autohotkeys and the community :wink:

silveredge78
  • Members
  • 499 posts
  • Last active: Mar 14 2014 03:19 AM
I'm a bit late on this I realize. But I too wanted to thank Chris. I took some programming languages in college, but could never quite get the hang of it or feel comfortable with it. I had given up on having that skill in my job. Then I came across AHK while trying to simplify a few things I did repeatedly each day.

This program has made so many things a keystroke away from simplicity for me. I literally use the hotkeys and macros I've made using it 100 times a day.

I've never been able to actually understand any programming language before AHK. The simplicity of it, the documentation of the developer, and the forum support base have been immensely helpful over the years.

I have been able to write countless scripts for myself and my clients.

So again, Chris thank you! I sincerely hope at some point you come back to this project and pick it back up. I'd love a even simpler version of AHK.
SilverEdge78

Benny-D
  • Members
  • 1485 posts
  • Last active: Sep 27 2016 11:23 PM
Oh, I have just been informed of this decision by Chris. I am so late. But it's never too late to say thanks to the right person.

Thank you Chris for what you have done. It won't be too much to say that you have really changed my life with AHK. I can't share all the details here, but I think I am not the only one who could say this. My life has changed drastically since I came across AHK.

Thanks also for the great "Help" file, which, unlike other "Help" files in various applications, really lives up to its name.

And also thanks for the great community that has not only taught me things about AHK, but also taught me how to be thankful, humble and polite - something that even all my high school teachers couldn't accomplish.

The other day, having come back here after a long break and realized that now besides AHK there is also AHK_L that can be downloaded and installed, I just didn't know how to refer to the first one, "basic" or "classical" or "original" or etc. Well, now at least I know for sure that whenever I refer to that first one in this forum or especially outside of it, I will always be adding "created by Chris Mallett".

Thanks again Chris.

May God bless you in whatever you do now.

Jon
  • Members
  • 349 posts
  • Last active: Aug 30 2011 08:35 PM
I know I'm very late in replying but just wanted to thank Chris for all the effort he has put into AHK over the years.

From when I started using Autohotkey over 7 years ago, I have admired your dedication and willingness to bend-over backwards to provide requested features, support users, and fix bugs.

Autohotkey was the language that got me into scripting and programming in the first place. I have since developed applications for other, automated countless tasks, and most importantly, enjoyed doing it.

Good luck for the future Chris. :)

Peixoto
  • Members
  • 16 posts
  • Last active: Oct 02 2015 01:11 AM
Another late reply but i just read the post and i'm shocked

I downloaded autohotkey interested in cheating in a videogame. A few months after that i took some time to check the documentation and started making some more elaborated although yet simple scripts

In time they became more elaborated and as kept learning a lot of stuff i gained courage to face scilab (a open source matlab clone) and today i'm writing a program to analyze some data that may become a important part of my doctoral work and i'm actually doing some experiments to see if i can integrate scilab and autohotkey (with autohotkey dll)

I personally don't see a problem in autohotkey becoming a more powerful general purpose language if it still continues easy to use, but If we start having to create a class and a main function for a simple "hello world" then autohotkey looses it's purpose, i thing.

I a also hope that, as autohotkey gain new features, the libraries written by various users don't became unnecessarily complicated.

Many people have contributed to autohotkey and i thing that's one of it's strengths. But i also thing autohotkey is your vision chris, you made it happen, and i thing you would be very important to assure the it may evolve without loosing it's focus: simplicity...

so...why don't you reconsider it?

:wink:

chrisj91
  • Members
  • 398 posts
  • Last active: Jun 03 2015 09:03 AM
Chris, thanks for developing such a great tool and for allowing others to continue it's development.

You should be proud of yourself mate, not a lot of people have achieved something quite like you have.

And I understand and respect your views, AHK's purpose was to be a simple programming language for everyone to enjoy, and when everyone has different development ideas to make it deviate away from that, then that's obviously something that you didn't have in mind so I understand your views fully and appreciate the fact that you're giving your permission for others to keep on developing your extraordinary work.

Regards,

Chris
Posted Image

Hope this helps / Thanks <-------- (Delete Appropriate)

Chris

CaptMoose
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Last active: Jan 19 2012 07:54 PM

I know I'm very late in replying but just wanted to thank Chris for all the effort he has put into AHK over the years.

... I have admired your dedication and willingness to bend-over backwards to provide requested features, support users, and fix bugs.

... I have since developed applications for other, automated countless tasks, and most importantly, enjoyed doing it.

Good luck for the future Chris. :)

I have not been much of a contributor at all, more often than not finding an enlightening post or help link and jumping back into the code.
Even now, I echo others who have said it as I would have.

Funnily enough, I stumbled across AutoHotkey last year - after this thread was started. I found it while looking where to post "W00T! The new website ROCKS!"

Chris, you made a brilliant tool and supported it beyond the call of duty.
The community that you have founded - like AHK, has grown into something special.
The forks you have inspired and how closely linked they are is proof.
I apologise - one coder to another, for not thinking that you may have needed that bit of motivation and affirmation of purpose that we all need from time to time.
It didn't occur to me that us lot had steered it off course. It looks like you've had it weighing for a while.

Deepest respect and admiration for you dude, and for the guys like Lexikos, tic, tank and how many others who do and share so much.

And may I add; W00T! The new website ROCKS!

[Mod edit: fixed a common name misspelling (Lexicos->Lexikos) - tidbit]

watchdog
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Last active: Jul 06 2012 11:54 AM
a heart-beating news to learn about the history and large effort Chris had contributed.
As a freshly joined, do accept my salute/