Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Which AutoHotkey you prefer to use ?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Poll: Select: (98 member(s) have cast votes)

Select:

1. AutoHotkey Classic (48 votes [48.48%])

Percentage of vote: 48.48%

2. AuoHotkey_L - Unicode & Variants (51 votes [51.52%])

Percentage of vote: 51.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote
SKAN
  • Administrators
  • 9115 posts
  • Last active:
Mr.Chris has officially announced:

http://www.autohotke...pic.php?t=63474

My interest in the project has dropped off, and my involvement will probably continue to be low. Therefore I've altered the website to give AutoHotkey_L more of the attention it deserves (most importantly the download page).

How do you guys feel?

EDIT: Poll closed on 11-Dec-2010 ( 2 Months from topic date )

fincs
  • Moderators
  • 1662 posts
  • Last active:
I have mixed feelings about Chris' announcement. First, I think it's a great opportunity for _L to become mainstream (AHK v1.1 anyone?). OTOH I feel sad for Chris, as his entire post sounded like a defeat IMO. Not to mention vanilla is now called "AutoHotkey Basic"...

EDIT: 700th post. Time flies...

SKAN
  • Administrators
  • 9115 posts
  • Last active:

Not to mention vanilla is now called "AutoHotkey Basic"...

Incorrectly named!.. Sounds like a derivative of 'Basic' language.
'AutoHotkey Classic' is the way to go, like when Pentium II arrived, the original Pentium was referred to as 'Pentium classic'

700th post. Time flies...

Congratz! :D

Learning one
  • Members
  • 1483 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2016 02:30 PM
Where Chris has stopped, Lexikos and community are now continuing. I prefer AutoHotkey_L - unicode. It's the great upgrade of Chris' great work and it should become a mainstream. I recommend everyone to switch right now, but never forget Chris, his efforts and his great creation - AutoHotkey. Thank you Chris!

tidbit
  • Administrators
  • 2709 posts
  • Hates playing Janitor
  • Last active: Jan 15 2016 11:37 PM
AHKC for now. until I might actually need arrays, unicode, #if and whatnot.

rawr. be very afraid
*poke*
. Populate the AutoHotkey city. Pointless but somewhat fun. .

TLM
  • Administrators
  • 3864 posts
  • Last active:
I have to vote for "classic" simply because I use it 85% of the time.
I use C++ bins for multidimension arrs since forever, its just a force of habit.
TBH I've not had much need for native OOP, so, you know..

Sounds like a derivative of 'Basic' language.

:lol: it does leave a sour taste in the mouth..

BTW whats up with L being 1st on the list on the download page?
Its almost like C is being bumped for 'newer and better'..

Posted Image

don't duplicate, iterate!

Zaelia
  • Members
  • 754 posts
  • Last active: Jan 17 2015 02:38 AM
I vote AHK classic, but I waited an official announcement for to use other AHK version, let's go!

RaptorX
  • Members
  • 751 posts
  • Last active: Feb 19 2015 02:47 AM
I have been tempted to use L but have never had the "need" for it.

One of the main things why i dont really change right away is because i have heard of incompatibility with Classic in some cases... can somebody clear that one out for me?

because if I can just use all my scripts once I move to L then there is no reason not to change. If they need change on the other hand then it would be wiser for me to wait until L becomes mainstream.

guest3456
  • Guests
  • Last active:

I have been tempted to use L but have never had the "need" for it.

One of the main things why i dont really change right away is because i have heard of incompatibility with Classic in some cases... can somebody clear that one out for me?

because if I can just use all my scripts once I move to L then there is no reason not to change. If they need change on the other hand then it would be wiser for me to wait until L becomes mainstream.

pretty much the same for me

jethrow
  • Moderators
  • 2854 posts
  • Last active: May 17 2017 01:57 AM

How do you guys feel?

Well, Chris hasn't been overly involved in the community since I started using AHK; therefore, it's not really a change for me. I am thankful, however, that Chris made an official announcement (he didn't need to), & that he put his "stamp of approval" - so to speak - on AutoHotkey_L.

I would like to say I'm thankful that Chris created such a great tool - & if his vision for AHK is complete, I'm thankful other users are skilled enough & willing enough to pick-up where Chris's work ends.

... i have heard of incompatibility with Classic in some cases... can somebody clear that one out for me?

To my understanding, it's not so much that L itself is incompatible, but rather that Unicode is incompatible. A simple example is DllCalls - Unicode uses "W" & ANSI uses "A" in the MessageBox Function. For more details, see Script Compatibility.

MacroMan!
  • Members
  • 604 posts
  • Last active: Mar 20 2012 11:40 AM
I've looked at some of the extra features that AHK_L provides, but I don't have a need for any of them, so I am sticking with Classic for now.

David
What ever happened, happened.

fragman
  • Members
  • 1591 posts
  • Last active: Nov 12 2012 08:51 PM
I'm using AHKL for 7plus, it would've hardly been possible without #if and objects. I have not made the switch to Unicode and 64 bit yet, but will have to do so at a point.

For anything which is meant to be a bit more advanced in AHK this is the way to go right now.

Tuncay
  • Members
  • 1945 posts
  • Last active: Feb 08 2015 03:49 PM
Vote: Classic

I agree on naming it to Classic would be better than Basic.

I am using Classic for now, but have an eye keeping on Lexikos derivative. Really great what Lexikos and the others have made (at the beginning we had different variants and builds from different peoples). There was just one time when I needed Unicode really. But I agree that L makes many things easier to develop and it is even more fun. :D

The reason why I do not change to L are:
1. because I gave up Windows as primary OS. I just play with Ahk now and do not need it for productive usage. (So I am lazy on upgrading and learning the new things, to make use and understand L)
2. I am waiting for IronAhk to be completed. Then I switch to that variant as default Ahk.
3. Ahk_L means to me more a "wish, develop it and see what happens" (under heavy development and alpha phase), against the moral to be stable and future proof and reliable. Also its slower than Classic, in most simple benchmarks I did.If L becomes more mainstream, then I change to it too as default Ahk on any Windows I use.

No signature.

SKAN
  • Administrators
  • 9115 posts
  • Last active:
21 votes? :(

Friends, give me a direction.. I find it hard to write compatible code that will work with both versions. I want to stick with either of one: ANSI or UNICODE

So, please VOTE.

fincs
  • Moderators
  • 1662 posts
  • Last active:
You can easily write code compatible with ANSI and Unicode, no need to write for a specific build.
Additionally I'm writing a tutorial on how to port scripts to AutoHotkey_L.