Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Which AutoHotkey you prefer to use ?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Poll: Select: (98 member(s) have cast votes)

Select:

1. AutoHotkey Classic (48 votes [48.48%])

Percentage of vote: 48.48%

2. AuoHotkey_L - Unicode & Variants (51 votes [51.52%])

Percentage of vote: 51.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote
SKAN
  • Administrators
  • 9115 posts
  • Last active:

You can easily write code compatible with ANSI and Unicode, no need to write for a specific build.

I guess, you were making a suggestion to others?

I find it hard to write compatible code that will work with both versions

Let me put it this way: I can tolerate ugly workarounds when it results in short code, but not the other way.

fincs
  • Moderators
  • 1662 posts
  • Last active:

I guess, you were making a suggestion to others?

Yes.

Let me put it this way: I can tolerate ugly workarounds when it results in short code, but not the other way.

(A_IsUnicode ? 2 : 1) is perfectly readable. You can do this:
char_size := A_IsUnicode ? 2 : 1

VarSetCapacity(someVar, StrLen(someString) * char_size)

TLM
  • Administrators
  • 3864 posts
  • Last active:

I gave up Windows as primary OS.

So what is it now, a Unix variant ;) ?
sfthj

Posted Image

don't duplicate, iterate!

Tuncay
  • Members
  • 1945 posts
  • Last active: Feb 08 2015 03:49 PM

So what is it now, a Unix variant ;) ?
sfthj

Ubuntu, 64 Bit. 8 GB Ram. Its such a wonderful life (the opposite is true too). :) It have pros and contras, I am not hardcore against Windows. I usually have Windows XP on a second monitor in full screen, under VirtualBox, only because I play with AHK!

Main points against GNU/Linux OS (just warnings):
- commercial games and many others are made for Windows
- some hardware and driver problems, because the most vendors ignore Linux
- AutoHotkey is not available for Linux, as its primary goal is to automate Windows
SKAN, why do you prefer short code over all other? For included code the line number is unimportant. ... Ok guess this is not the right place to discuss it.:D

Why do you write code? Just for the other users? If the future of your code is important, then I would suggest to write Unicode. More and more people are getting infected by Lexikos (AHK_L, and no, I do not hate it, its just a joke :D).

Is writing two versions of same function a solution to you? Like the A and W functions of Windows. You have to make the changes parallel to the two versions then. Doubles the work and test time.

I hope that you do not want ignore the other users completely, as your functions are really good and helpful to us.

No signature.

Sean
  • Members
  • 2462 posts
  • Last active: Feb 07 2012 04:00 AM

I want to stick with either of one: ANSI or UNICODE

UNICODE definitely. When UNICODE is available, ANSI shouldn't be an option since it always risks data (loss).

Zaelia
  • Members
  • 754 posts
  • Last active: Jan 17 2015 02:38 AM
Yes, A_IsUnicode is cool, but don't forget DllCall and other features that don't work... 64bit+unicode+OSversion+... a lot of problem for create portable version, however it depends...
DllCall("myAPI" A_IsUnicode ? "W" : "A", "Uptr", 0)

fincs
  • Moderators
  • 1662 posts
  • Last active:
@Zaelia: AutoHotkey_L supports automatic A/W suffixing even on non-Windows DLLs.

SKAN
  • Administrators
  • 9115 posts
  • Last active:
@fincs:

Take a look at my PE_FunctionExports()

I have to use MulDiv() to extract ANSI string because Classic does not have a StrGet(). This causes the function to run slower in AHK_L.

SKAN, why do you prefer short code over all other? For included code the line number is unimportant.

It is important for me.. I enjoy it.

Why do you write code? Just for the other users?

Most of the time - I do not wait for my own requirement. I see something in C++/VB in Google, I immediately experiment it on AHK. Also, Ask for Help is my hunting ground. That does not mean I do not get original ideas. The idea for 'Dialog Resource for dummies' struck in middle of my sleep. I started to write it in AHK_L and I could not get past FileRead command. :(

Is writing two versions of same function a solution to you? Like the A and W functions of Windows. You have to make the changes parallel to the two versions then.

That looks like a good solution..

Doubles the work and test time.

Better than getting frustrated amidst programming. I do not program when I cannot enjoy it.

as your functions are really good and helpful to us.

Thanks for the nice words :)

I thought the topic would attract atleaset 100 votes and I could decide on that..

UNICODE definitely

If you say so. :)

TLM
  • Administrators
  • 3864 posts
  • Last active:

Take a look at my PE_FunctionExports()

That is gorgeous!

Did I mention you must stay regardless of pow( L ) ;)?

Posted Image

JoeSchmoe
  • Members
  • 304 posts
  • Last active: Feb 28 2013 05:39 PM
I'm not sure what to write. I personally use basic, but only because I haven't had a chance to port the big script I always use over to L. I plan to do it eventually, though.

It's amazing that now that I have a version with objects, arrays, debugger support, etc., I realize just how complete Basic AHK really is. It's pretty amazing.

I haven't replied to the survey yet.

majkinetor
  • Moderators
  • 4512 posts
  • Last active: Jul 29 2016 12:40 AM
People are simply afraid of changes and they stick to the thing they learned because they don't like the fact that with the new thing, they will have to drop out of their relaxed environment and be forced to learn again. Once they 'master' something, most of the people will stick to it and try to prevent innovative work of those willing to move forward (many times unconsciousnessly). Such people then find bunch of reasons to explain why is the old thing better and how they were more productive in it, and how new thing complicates stuff etc etc...

One described correctly - "AutoHotKey_L scares me". Things that scare people are those that they do not understand. Learning always dispels fear.

So, you can choose to use the outdated version of AHK, and that would be the same as choosing to use outdated computer, phone, or car. Why would you choose such path is beyond my understanding since AHKL is superset of of AHK, so you can perfectly stay in the vanilla AHK subset of it. The minor compatibility issues are mainly a problem in advanced uses and can easily be learned and resolved. If you don't enjoy AHKL then that can't be explained in reality - its simply in your head. Its superior in any aspect - be it the short code fetish or the complex applications.

The faster the people switch, the shorter will outdated AHK stay among us causing problems to everybody. So if you really want to help others, go and RTFM and if things are still not clear, go and AFH after that.
Posted Image

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: May 02 2019 09:16 PM

The faster the people switch, the shorter will outdated AHK stay among us causing problems to everybody. So if you really want to help others, go and RTFM and if things are still not clear, go and AFH after that.

amen
Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

OpalMonkey
  • Members
  • 29 posts
  • Last active: Aug 07 2015 08:21 AM

One described correctly - "AutoHotKey_L scares me". Things that scare people are those that they do not understand. Learning always dispels fear.

Done and done! I just switched last night. Hadn't heard much about AHKL before this, granted, I don't hit the forums here very often.

I agree that a lot of people fear what they don't understand... I've just always loved learning! Things still make me afraid, I just know that I can't let that hold me back. Most of the fear stems from the prospect of failure, for me anyways.

I'm just reworking some of my scripts to take advantage of the wonderful unicode support. So... many... options... *twitch... twitch* :D Then I have to focus on some of the other, more technically impressive features!

Cheers to Lexikos (and anyone else involved) for continuing development our favorite little language!

SKAN
  • Administrators
  • 9115 posts
  • Last active:

The faster the people switch, the shorter will outdated AHK stay among us causing problems to everybody.

majkinetor actually meant:
The slower the people switch, the longer will outdated AHK stay among us causing problems to everybody.

TLM
  • Administrators
  • 3864 posts
  • Last active:
So is the underlying message that AHK_L is easy to use,
with no problems or questions :roll: ?
Common now..

BTW what happened to AHK_U and H :mrgreen:

Posted Image