Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Which AutoHotkey you prefer to use ?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Poll: Select: (98 member(s) have cast votes)

Select:

1. AutoHotkey Classic (48 votes [48.48%])

Percentage of vote: 48.48%

2. AuoHotkey_L - Unicode & Variants (51 votes [51.52%])

Percentage of vote: 51.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote
fincs
  • Moderators
  • 1662 posts
  • Last active:
AutoHotkeyU got merged into AutoHotkey_L, ditto for AutoHotkey64.

SKAN
  • Administrators
  • 9115 posts
  • Last active:

So is the underlying message that AHK_L is easy to use,
with no problems or questions :roll: ?

That is what the 'geeks' will always tell you... the guys who seldom lend out a hand in Ask-for-help.

"Ask-for-Help" is the place where AutoHotkey gets delivered to the mass.
I wish existing supporters get updated too.

BTW what happened to AHK_U and H

Now, thats very sarcastic :D

HotKeyIt
  • Moderators
  • 7439 posts
  • Last active: Jun 22 2016 09:14 PM
AHK_H offers additional functionality (expecially AutoHotkey.dll) and is kept up to date with AHK_L.

jaco0646
  • Moderators
  • 3165 posts
  • Last active: Apr 01 2014 01:46 AM

That is what the 'geeks' will always tell you... the guys who seldom lend out a hand in Ask-for-help.

:O :shock:

AHK_H offers additional functionality (expecially AutoHotkey.dll) and is kept up to date with AHK_L.

Lexikos, can it be merged in?

SKAN
  • Administrators
  • 9115 posts
  • Last active:

:O :shock:

Please ask me..

jaco0646
  • Moderators
  • 3165 posts
  • Last active: Apr 01 2014 01:46 AM
@SKAN
I'm not necessarily disagreeing; it’s just a very provocative statement.

SKAN
  • Administrators
  • 9115 posts
  • Last active:

it’s just a very provocative statement.

:(

Then I have to clarify:
That was a general statement not targeting anyone..
It is just that I am worried about the community and the newbies .

EDIT: Ok! I'll keep my mouth shut.

derRaphael
  • Members
  • 872 posts
  • Last active: Mar 19 2013 04:42 PM
to avoid double posts, i simply refer here to my other post.

many of the aspects mentioned there belong in here, too.

greets
dR

All scripts, unless otherwise noted, are hereby released under CC-BY

majkinetor
  • Moderators
  • 4512 posts
  • Last active: May 20 2019 07:41 AM

So is the underlying message that AHK_L is easy to use,
with no problems or questions

Yes, no.
Its as easy to use as AHK.
There will be problems & questions, like with anything else in the world.

Some of the advanced features will confuse some people. Vanilla AHK had such stuff too, like binary data manipulation and structs usage. Those confused great number of people. AHK_L simplifies that (one of the cool dll importing scripts is given on ahkl thread for example), while at other places it introduces some potential confusing places like base object and metafunctions (you don't have to use those, forever, and still have goodness of arrays).

Let me just discuss why I think its easier and better then vanilla AHK:
[*:2d5ittw7] Associative arrays. Very simple and important stuff, present in every language (script or otherwise) that is more complex then regular expressions. Lead to better manipulation of organised quantities of data. Pass to function, delete entire bunch of variables at once, iterate collections etc...
[*:2d5ittw7] Much better encapsulation. This might not be of interest to 99% of the users but its consequences are - new libraries will not create bunch of globals in your space and will not require initialization steps most of the time. This means less problems using libs. Libraries should be black boxes and vanilla AHK was not able to deliver that --> reuse pain -> reinventing -> more work.
[*:2d5ittw7] COM - I am not expert in this area, but you don't have to be one to understand that there is something seriously wrong with vanilla AHK beeing automation language without support for the native automation framework. Using vanilla AHK COM library is painful experience --> huge parts of the system are not usable for almost everybody.
[*:2d5ittw7] Unicode - ANSI is outdated a long time ago and the decision not to code for Unicode was one of the main flows of vanilla AHK. Also, Windows itself is Unicode which means scripts will be slightly faster as A system calls are proxies for W system calls.
[*:2d5ittw7] Still small, fast and eating the same amount of memory. DllCalls are much faster due to the cashing (and there are lots of DllCalls around). There is also additional speed with x64 version (x32 systems are outdated).
[*:2d5ittw7] Debugger - I expect full blown IDE soon --> easy and fast way of codding with drag & drops and stuff like that.
On top of that its objects are modeled on Lua tables and this language is used by kids (very popular in games), so that explains a lot about the learning curve.

It is just that I am worried about the community and the newbies .

This can be explained by the fact that you still didn't learn AHKL.
Posted Image

Zaelia
  • Members
  • 754 posts
  • Last active: Jan 17 2015 02:38 AM
AHKL is easy like AHKC if you don't use extra features.
Why have concerns?

If they are a problem is about Newbie who will drown in a little more information to be excluded early

• Guests
  • Last active:
I have been using vanilla AutoHotkey & I was planning on moving to IronAHK, until I fully realized the .NET requirement (& that my OS might not be "good enough")...now, since this Announcement, I fully plan on moving to AutoHotkey_L.

I would prefer one continued version (named "AutoHotkey", nothing else {not "_L" or "_H"}). Move it to Google Code & have many people submit patches. Maybe even aim for cross-platform-ness (without any .NET requirement).

How do you guys feel?

...like puking...why?...are we supposed to be happy about that Announcement?...I'm sad for AutoHotkey, but semi-happy to try AutoHotkey_L officially...been wanting objects/arrays!

EDIT: The topic will remain sticky for two weeks - SKAN

...so...SKAN, your a mod too?...how/when/why was everyone made a Moderator!?!

SKAN
  • Administrators
  • 9115 posts
  • Last active:

...so...SKAN, your a mod too?...how/when/why was everyone made a Moderator!?!

- Yes!
- The admin offered me and I accepted. I never requested or hinted. ( although, I was eager ).
- Sep 2007
- Necessity

why was everyone made a Moderator!?!

:(

Bad attitude, friend. The Admin knows better.