Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Sticky Topic Guidelines

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic
jaco0646
  • Moderators
  • 3165 posts
  • Last active: Apr 01 2014 01:46 AM
I've raised the issue of standardizing sticky-topic creation with other moderators; but the answer is basically, "we don't know," so I ask the same question to the community.

...can we compose a set of guidelines for sticky topics?[*:emxdrckx]How many stickies per forum is appropriate (maximum)?[*:emxdrckx]Is that max the same for all subforums or different?[*:emxdrckx]What are the minimum (quantifiable) requirements for a thread to become sticky?[*:emxdrckx]Is the promotion to sticky permanent, or should all stickies be reviewed periodically to maintain their candidacy?[*:emxdrckx]If they should be reviewed, what are the guidelines for demotion?[*:emxdrckx]Other sticky concerns?

...or is this a non-issue that I'm wasting space talking about?

sinkfaze
  • Moderators
  • 6367 posts
  • Last active: Nov 30 2018 08:50 PM

...or is this a non-issue that I'm wasting space talking about?

No. Every time I go into the Scripts and Functions forum it's nothing but stickies before I scroll down, it becomes a visual annoyance. The other problem is obviously what stickies to move and where to move them if it is decided they should be moved, but I see the over-stickying problem in the forums.

Frankie
  • Members
  • 2930 posts
  • Last active: Feb 05 2015 02:49 PM
Perhaps we could combine stickies. All the 'flavors' of AHK could be in one thread that has a brief description of each and links to the appropriate topic.
Also, SmartGui could be added to 'Custom GUI Controls & GUI related', maybe first on the list.
aboutscriptappsscripts
Request Video Tutorials Here or View Current Tutorials on YouTube
Any code ⇈ above ⇈ requires AutoHotkey_L to run

Eedis
  • Members
  • 1775 posts
  • Last active: Aug 14 2015 06:33 PM
I think a topic should become stickied if the topic has been revisited multiple times in that forum. Also, you could combine a lot of stickies together into one.

I think the requirements of a topic becoming a stickied topic would have to be that it's an old topic and it is still getting reviewed and posted on. Or that the topic is posted on daily or something along those lines.
AutoHotkey state, the forum, Poly, and Drainx1. The short story.
I love my wife, my life, my atomic-match; for giving me the greatest gift a man could ask for, such a perfect and beautiful little girl.
9rjbjc.png

Tuncay
  • Members
  • 1945 posts
  • Last active: Feb 08 2015 03:49 PM

Perhaps we could combine stickies. All the 'flavors' of AHK could be in one thread that has a brief description of each and links to the appropriate topic.

I think we should go this way. Then we have only one "real" sticky topic and the forum is clean and flexible in the sticky topics.

Sticky topics are highly recommended to read. They should not be composed of the reviewed or posted times. And if you decide to make one sticky topic with link collection, then we should not have more than 5 links. Otherwise the attention would be lost.
...can we compose a set of guidelines for sticky topics?

How many stickies per forum is appropriate (maximum)?

3 to 5

Is that max the same for all subforums or different?

different

What are the minimum (quantifiable) requirements for a thread to become sticky?

I don`t understand this question.

Is the promotion to sticky permanent, or should all stickies be reviewed periodically to maintain their candidacy?

Nothing permanent please. They should be updated dynamically, for what is currently needed. (in a 6 month basis?)

If they should be reviewed, what are the guidelines for demotion?

If not needed anymore.

These are just quick and dirty answers. I think a real guideline is not needed for this.

No signature.

Frankie
  • Members
  • 2930 posts
  • Last active: Feb 05 2015 02:49 PM
So something like:

Announcement: AutoHotkey.net upload and share your scripts online for free
Sticky: AutoHotkey Variations: AHK_L, AHK.dll, IronAHK
Sticky: Custom GUI Controls & GUI related
nonsticky scripts and functions...

The Custom GUI... will contain brief information about SmartGUI.
aboutscriptappsscripts
Request Video Tutorials Here or View Current Tutorials on YouTube
Any code ⇈ above ⇈ requires AutoHotkey_L to run

SoLong&Thx4AllTheFish
  • Members
  • 4999 posts
  • Last active:

* How many stickies per forum is appropriate (maximum)?

2-3

* Is that max the same for all subforums or different?

I'd say so

* What are the minimum (quantifiable) requirements for a thread to become sticky?
* Is the promotion to sticky permanent, or should all stickies be reviewed periodically to maintain their candidacy?

Yes, AHK_L and IronAHK stickies can be removed once they have become stable/mainstream.

* If they should be reviewed, what are the guidelines for demotion?
* Other sticky concerns?

Stickies only for actual AHK content, not third-party apps

sinkfaze
  • Moderators
  • 6367 posts
  • Last active: Nov 30 2018 08:50 PM
To me the problem mainly revolves around that which is in the S&F forum and secondly around AHK_L. I'll give my opinion about what's currently stickied in S&F.

IMO, AHK_L should have its own dedicated forum in the forums since it is now being touted as the "official" version. I think both new users and users experienced with AHK_L need room to breathe when discussing it without being bogged down in questions about AHK. I think concerns that the community will be split are overblown since there are already many AHK_L users who regularly answer questions about AHK, including Lexikos himself. The bell has already been rung, the transition will have to come sooner or later, it's just a matter of how clear we wish to be about that transition.

I don't know enough about the level of functionality of IronAHK or AutoHotkey.dll to say where a more appropriate place for them might be but S&F just doesn't strike me as the right place for them.

HotkeyCamo and SmartGUI are really products for AHK rather than scripts or functions; they are also not developments of AHK...if the Development forum ever comes to light it might be better to move those to the Development forum and do as Frankie suggested and lump those into a condensed sticky in S&F.

maj's Custom GUI Controls thread is pretty much what a good condensed sticky in S&F should be. I think the COM functions and some of the developments surrounding it should be stickied in a linked thread much like the Custom GUI Controls thread.

Those are my thoughts so far.

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: May 02 2019 09:16 PM

How many stickies per forum is appropriate (maximum)?

help prolly 7-10
many will feel that these belong in scripts and functions but think on it they are referenced in ask for help posts regularly
[*:2fy51lzr]Ahk Standard Library Collection, 2010 Sep (+Gui) ~ Libs: 100 by Tuncay
[*:2fy51lzr]Scite(only the latest by fincs
[*:2fy51lzr]Tutorial for Newbies(by Jaco) but update it with links to the faq in the wiki
[*:2fy51lzr]Custom GUI Controls & GUI related
[*:2fy51lzr][Live Chat] Instant AutoHotkey help! Just add water...
[*:2fy51lzr]COM by Seanscripts and functions 2-5

nothing in the others
I second what Sinkfaze said about ahk_l and IA

Is that max the same for all subforums or different?

different

What are the minimum (quantifiable) requirements for a thread to become sticky?

Heavily referenced thread would be one requirement

Is the promotion to sticky permanent, or should all stickies be reviewed periodically to maintain their candidacy?

Nothing permanent please. Review with poll perhaps in general discussions

If they should be reviewed, what are the guidelines for demotion?

new more current relavant topics found and replaced based on a poll vote
Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

SoLong&Thx4AllTheFish
  • Members
  • 4999 posts
  • Last active:
Noobs are not going to read them anyway, so 7 is probably a bit too much.

Perhaps 2 stickies max or an announcement and a sticky, one general intro to the section the second one a "Useful Threads" which serve as an index for the "stickies" (editor, gui, etc) that way you conserve space and someone generally interested will still be able to find all the "important" topics.

So S&F forum would look like this:

- Announcement: AutoHotkey.net upload and share your scripts online for free
- Useful threads: Editor / Gui / AHK_L / AHK.DLL / IronAHK / Script listing

MacroMan!
  • Members
  • 604 posts
  • Last active: Mar 20 2012 11:40 AM
+1
What ever happened, happened.

guest3456
  • Guests
  • Last active:
smartGUI should be un-stickied and be included in the other GUI sticky

fincs
  • Moderators
  • 1662 posts
  • Last active:

AHK_L should have its own dedicated forum in the forums since it is now being touted as the "official" version.

Chris himself told us to use the entire forum for AHK_L:

In any case, I'd like everyone to feel free to use the entire forum for either version of AutoHotkey.

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: May 02 2019 09:16 PM

Chris himself told us ...

the problem with this is the errant assumption that the same problems will arrise for users with both the old version and ahk_l. It becomes a matter of initial questioning to find out which the user is posting about for this.

if this (no separate forum) is in factt hen ahk_l needs to officially become v2 and stop being refered to so separately
Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

jaco0646
  • Moderators
  • 3165 posts
  • Last active: Apr 01 2014 01:46 AM
Here are my opinions on the 6 points:[*:kuzn8cyb]5 stickies is the limit for any forum. I wouldn’t mind using this as a strict rule across the board, but…
[*:kuzn8cyb]It could possibly be stretched for S&F since visitors there are looking for helpful scripts and are less likely to be scared away by “information overload.” I also think the limit in Ask for Help should be smaller, for the converse reason: newbies looking for help are the visitors most likely to ignore all stickies if there appears to be too much to assimilate.
[*:kuzn8cyb]I believe threads should be stickied if and only if they already contain vital information applying to the majority of new users. Ongoing discussions should not be stickied, as this assumes vital information will be added in the future. It’s like putting the cart before the horse. Also, ongoing discussions which will become multi-page threads should not be stickied. I commented recently that, “I think multi-page threads are counterproductive beyond a threshold of about 5 pages.” A 20-page sticky thread seems to imply that 20 pages of discussion are vital to all new users. I propose a rule that all stickies be locked. If it does not seem appropriate to lock the thread, it should probably not be stickied.
[*:kuzn8cyb]Stickies should not be permanent, at least in the sense of content. It is unlikely that any sticky is so good that it cannot be enhanced and updated at least every year or so.
[*:kuzn8cyb]Demotion should of course be based on relevance (like promotion is initially) and perhaps also number of views. At least that’s an easy metric to evaluate. If one sticky is receiving significantly less hits than the others, a change is probably in order (even if just the title).
[*:kuzn8cyb]Would a formal approval process be productive? Perhaps all stickies should be proposed and vetted by the community for X number of days before promotion.It seems the major point to come out of this thread so far is the idea that stickies could represent topic categories rather than the monolithic threads many of them are now. I think this is an excellent idea. How about we start with the GUI category in S&F? That seems like the easiest one to tackle. I've consolidated those GUI stickies into a prototype for future stickies there. Have a look and see what you think. I've also changed the title of the Wiki/Rosetta thread (again). I think titles are almost as important as content for stickies, so input on either is welcome.