Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Go - Instant search

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic
sumon
  • Moderators
  • 1317 posts
  • Last active: Dec 05 2016 10:14 PM
Go - instant search
Go previously went under the name "SpeedSearch"

Posted Image

The picture says it all, almost. Run this script (it's "On-demand", so it works perfect with Appifyer) to get a GUI asking you what to search for. Enter site and searchstring, then Go (or press enter). The GUI has multifunctionality, so you can do one of the following to enter the site name:

- Press the icon of the site
- Type the site name out ("Google")
- Type the shortcut, then press space (intellisenselike, g -> "Google")
- Press the hotkey corresponding to the icon, for example Ctrl+1

If you have already entered a searchstring and trigger a site, you will not have to press "Go" in addition, but instead be taken directly to the search results. So, to google "Appifyer, you can type "Appifyer" then press Ctrl+1, for example.

Posted Image

"Speed" comparison

"Normal" (6 actions): Activate browser, new tab (^t), type in Goo(...), press Enter, Type in "Appifyer", Press enter
Go (3 actions): Run "Go", type in "Appifyer", press Ctrl+1 (or click icon)

Amazing, huh? If you start using this every time you want to navigate to a bookmark or search the web, you will probably get addicted to it. Keep in mind that the "Google Appifyer" example is a very simple one, for many sites you might have to click an additional link (Google images) or change language or settings, or maybe even find a well hidden search function. Go also works with folders and web adresses without search prompts, such as the Autohotkey command page. Type "MsgBox" and click the AHK logo and you will get sent to the Msgbox page.

You can add your own sites at your liking, and import their favicons with two clicks - making it very easy to set this up for some major poweruser ownage. In my job, we often have to search for phone numbers using one of a few sites, and with Go I can type the phone number down from the page I'm at, without having to tab back to doublecheck.

Downloads
Go v1.04: Go.exe
Go.ahk - Source only for viewing, will not run.
SpeedSearch (old - source)

As usual, the program consists of multiple files and thus only (?) runs as an .exe. I have taken in the criticism of not releasing my source code, but I disclaim: My source code will seldom run (as I rely on graphics and external libraries to make things look better etc.) and may not be visually pleasant due to bad coding habits.

garry
  • Spam Officer
  • 3219 posts
  • Last active: Sep 20 2018 02:47 PM
thank you sumon, nice idea with icons
( I realized not so nice with listview )
EDIT : removed my useless changes, idea was just to click on icon and start

don't search for "jasmine" in Baidu ... :evil:
<!-- m -->http://www.msnbc.msn... ... iapacific/<!-- m -->

On Sunday, searches for "jasmine" were blocked on China's largest Twitter-like microblog, and status updates with the word on popular Chinese social networking site Renren.com were met with an error message and a warning to refrain from postings with "political, sensitive ... or other inappropriate content."

sumon
  • Moderators
  • 1317 posts

thank you sumon, nice idea with icons
( I realized not so nice with listview )
EDIT : removed my useless changes, idea was just to click on icon and start

don't search for "jasmine" in Baidu ... :evil:
<!-- m -->http://www.msnbc.msn... ... iapacific/<!-- m -->

On Sunday, searches for "jasmine" were blocked on China's largest Twitter-like microblog, and status updates with the word on popular Chinese social networking site Renren.com were met with an error message and a warning to refrain from postings with "political, sensitive ... or other inappropriate content."

Thanks for the compliments and the "useless idea". I added the function that if you type a string THEN click a symbol, the result is "Go"'ing to that search function. I changed the InsertString label to this simply:

InsertString: ; When a picture is clicked, insert equalivent string
Gui, Submit, Nohide
If (SearchString)
{
	GuiControl,, SearchString, %A_GuiControl%:%searchstring%
	Gosub, Submit
}
GuiControl,, SearchString, %A_GuiControl%:
Send {End}
return

It doesn't warrant an update, but when I release the next version this change will definitly be in.

sumon
  • Moderators
  • 1317 posts
Huge update:

v1.1 DOWNLOAD (EXE, selfextracting - for your convenience, I recommend that you put it in its' own folder)

Now has Settings GUI (separate file)
Posted Image

It is fully functional and the "library" of sites will improve. Feel free to add your own sites and share with use if you want to. The sites are in .txt and created by exporting data from the GUI. I fixed the release to accomodate for a really smooth setup. Just "File -> import all..." if you want most of the functionality.

Features to add: Change the order of the links by user will, verify input, improve GUI, downloader, launch-hotkey, reset(s) etc. etc.

For launching I recommend using my stable version of my AppStarter, you should find it handy. I am also developing another really awesome Appstarter, which is available for close pre-alpha testing soon. Contact me if you are interested, will need people who can provide some feedback.

Please also provide feedback on this script.

sumon
  • Moderators
  • 1317 posts
Even huger (??) update! See first post for information.

The app is now named "Go" and works pretty flawlessly in this version, try it out folks - you will never look back! Added a ScreenR-cast for description.

Please note that I will launch Appifyer in two posts (Read: Tomorrow), and this is a perfect app to use Appifyer for.

fragman
  • Members
  • 1591 posts
  • Last active: Nov 12 2012 08:51 PM
I just want to add a remark:
The "6 steps" isn't necessarily correct. In many browsers it can be cut down to 4 by using search engine prefix in address bar. This way you can just type "g Appifyer" instead of going to the search page.

sumon
  • Moderators
  • 1317 posts

The "6 steps" isn't necessarily correct. In many browsers it can be cut down to 4 by using search engine prefix in address bar. This way you can just type "g Appifyer" instead of going to the search page.

Using my "Last post before Appifyer" here, hehe. Anyway, you are right. It might also be a step less if you are already in your web reader, or if you count f.ex. Google's intellisense search for the keyword. Nevertheless, Go is timesaving in most cases, and very timesaving in many of those cases. It is also browser-independant.

Regarding the firefox search engine prefix, I talked to someone about it (I actually did not know about it alot), but I still think Go has alot of advantages to that one - not least the icons and hotkeys, giving all necessary information in a compact format in front of the user.

However, I remember that a specific plugin had some site with a huge database of "Search patterns". Would anyone happen to know the name of this (Firefox, I think) plugin? Would be nice to (if allowed) tap into that, and maybe integrate it directly into Go for near-instantaneous site addition.

JonS
  • Members
  • 49 posts
  • Last active: Feb 09 2018 07:45 PM
Really nice. :)

Browsers have slow start times, and lack decent search-prefix managers (at least Chrome does, but I hear firefox takes a very long time to start up.) I think there's no denying that something like this has advantages, as long as the user takes time to get acquainted with it.

The settings manager is really great.

Several times, it seemed like Go "grabbed the wrong window" and made the window behind it transparent or invisible instead of itself. I think this happens when I start it repeatedly.

Here's a tip for a possible search engine: you can get GoogleMap directions directly from your house to a given location in a single search query.

http://maps.google.com/[email protected],-87.341862+to+@s@

change the long/latitude coordinates to point near your house, and the search query will be an address pointing to the destination. So as an example:

http://maps.google.com/[email protected],-87.341862+to+Arizona

fragman
  • Members
  • 1591 posts
  • Last active: Nov 12 2012 08:51 PM

Using my "Last post before Appifyer" here, hehe. Anyway, you are right. It might also be a step less if you are already in your web reader, or if you count f.ex. Google's intellisense search for the keyword. Nevertheless, Go is timesaving in most cases, and very timesaving in many of those cases. It is also browser-independant.

Regarding the firefox search engine prefix, I talked to someone about it (I actually did not know about it alot), but I still think Go has alot of advantages to that one - not least the icons and hotkeys, giving all necessary information in a compact format in front of the user.

However, I remember that a specific plugin had some site with a huge database of "Search patterns". Would anyone happen to know the name of this (Firefox, I think) plugin? Would be nice to (if allowed) tap into that, and maybe integrate it directly into Go for near-instantaneous site addition.

I did not mean to talk it down in any way, just wanted to correct you there. My Accessor launcher in 7plus has a similar feature that allows to define search engines dynamically, but I don't use it much because most of the time I have the browser window active when I need to google something. Btw, Opera handles search engines quite well and also starts relatively fast :D

Solar
  • Members
  • 345 posts
  • Last active: Jan 15 2012 08:11 PM
@ sumon
Why do you rarely post your source code? You would probably get more feedback and fixes if you did.

• Guests
  • Last active:
I really like the GUI. Could you please post the source code for the newest version? I'd really like to play around with something like this :D

Anyway, gj!

sumon
  • Moderators
  • 1317 posts

Really nice. :)

[... more text ...]

Cheers mate, thanks alot, also for the tip :) I think the bugging transparency was fixed in the latest update, it is supposed to use the GUI hwnd (id) now. Maybe it lags behind on slow systems? If it still does that, it's referred to as "FadeIn()" in the source code.

I did not mean to talk it down in any way, just wanted to correct you there. My Accessor launcher in 7plus has a similar feature that allows to define search engines dynamically, but I don't use it much because most of the time I have the browser window active when I need to google something. Btw, Opera handles search engines quite well and also starts relatively fast :D

No offense taken mate. It's roughly correct, but Go is hardly 50% straightup faster than a normal search method. It all depends on how long time it takes settnig up, what kind of search you want to perform, what you are currently doing (if web browser is active), et cetera. By the way, I really liked 7plus, it's inspirational :)

@ sumon
Why do you rarely post your source code? You would probably get more feedback and fixes if you did.

You are absolutely right, thanks for pointing this out. There are a few reasons:

1) It means extra uploads/linkings for me.
2) The source code is not supposed to run, because I use alot of custom libraries (sometimes modified to suit my own needs), but alot of people try running the source code by habit, causing the topic to be about how to get the source code to run, instead of how to improve the app.
3) Sometimes I am ashamed of my code, and may be embarrased showing the source code.

However, I'll just be clear with 2-3, and you are so right - It's hard for coders to give better feedback than the feedback given by actually looking at the code. I'm no expert by any means, and if I can get pro advice on how to optimize an already-good application, everyone would be happy. I'll start attaching the source code - I edited first post for "Go". I even released the source openly for Appifyer, something I have long hesitated doing.

I really like the GUI. Could you please post the source code for the newest version? I'd really like to play around with something like this :D

Anyway, gj!

Source code is now linked under "Downloads" (or here), thanks for that. I'm actually not happy at all with the Settings GUI, but the main GUI is what's most important. It's basically

Gui, font, s10, Verdana ; Font makes a huge difference in making it look less "default"
Gui, -Caption +Border ; The border is important in my opinion
Gui, Color, ffffff ; White is pretty

that makes the difference.

If you come up with some nice changes, please contribute :)

Deo
  • Members
  • 199 posts
  • Last active: Jan 31 2014 03:19 PM
nice idea

R3gX
  • Members
  • 307 posts
  • Last active: Dec 29 2013 04:50 PM
Hi sumon!

I tried (one of) your (great) application(s) and here are some comments :
1) It's a classic application that most of us has already worked on in its AHKer's life. But in your hands, it gives a fresh touch which is nice!
(Other classic apps : launcher, clipboard manager, window management...)
2) Settings GUI : When I click on import/export for an url, the icons disappear!
3) I had an error when I wanted to add a site. When the "New site :" dialog appeared, I entered the url instead of the shortname
4) Maybe increase the width of the GUI to show the url on one-line edit boxes

That's all for now!

signature.png
Previously known as TomXIII
AutoHotkey version : 1.1.10

sumon
  • Moderators
  • 1317 posts

Hi sumon!

I tried (one of) your (great) application(s) and here are some comments :
1) It's a classic application that most of us has already worked on in its AHKer's life. But in your hands, it gives a fresh touch which is nice!
(Other classic apps : launcher, clipboard manager, window management...)
2) Settings GUI : When I click on import/export for an url, the icons disappear!
3) I had an error when I wanted to add a site. When the "New site :" dialog appeared, I entered the url instead of the shortname
4) Maybe increase the width of the GUI to show the url on one-line edit boxes

That's all for now!

Cheers!

1) Thanks! This is a typical "Easy function but alot of bling-bling" app, and I like it that way.
2) Oops, that was an unintended bug, changed that now.
3) Oh yeah, will have to think of a safer way to handle unsafe variables. I intentionally StringReplace %A_Space% with _, because the search window ("Go!") interprets a space as "New command", so searching for "Autohotkey Command MsgBox" might get confused with trying to search for "Command MsgBox" on Autohotkey.
4) Probably, or display it in a nicer way.

Anyway, I updated the app now...

v 1.05
	- Rearranged GoSettings GUI and made it white
	- Removed (hid) unused functions
	- Improved import ("Add/import")
	- Fixed some bugs
	- Hotkey support works now

I also added support for %s as a searchstring alongside @s@, since there's a Mozilla Addon that uses that. Also added some sites from there, so here's a 20-sites pack for whoever's interested. In order to work flawlessly, the shared site support must be improved, to work online somehow. For now, this'll do.

For those who want to update and get the new icons,

1) Delete data\legal.txt (which triggers the "Do you wish to extract?")
2) Save your sites if you want to (rename the .ini or copy it)
3) Run the new .exe (or install using Appifyer, for the lazy)