Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

New website (first design)

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic
Lexikos
  • Administrators
  • 9844 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active:
I like it, especially the way the information is organised. I think the current site suffers from a bit of information overload. Is it just me or is the font overly small? Actually, everything is larger in IE than Chrome, including the example code which looks rediculous in IE on my system.

Regarding the documentation, will emphasis be put on the AutoHotkey_L documentation? Keep in mind that the same source files are used for the CHM file and the online documentation. I'm not particularly attached to the current style, but I think bright green comments (or anything else) on bright cyan background doesn't really work. ;)

I think a simple collapsible side bar would be good for the documentation. For example, one like MSDN's lightweight view. I'm not sure how much information it should show; the AutoHotkey documentation isn't nearly as hierarchal as MSDN.

just upon quick glance, the sub blue bar stands out to my eyes, and i have to really spend some time to realize that thats not the main menu to focus on, the black one is.

+1

shajul
  • Members
  • 571 posts
  • Last active: Aug 01 2015 03:45 PM

including the example code which looks ridiculous in IE on my system.

If i've seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants

my site | ~shajul | WYSIWYG BBCode Editor

Eedis
  • Members
  • 1775 posts
  • Last active: Aug 14 2015 06:33 PM
Not that I'm a huge patriot or anything (well, joining the Army so I should get used to saying this), but where's the American flag? Lolz.
AutoHotkey state, the forum, Poly, and Drainx1. The short story.
I love my wife, my life, my atomic-match; for giving me the greatest gift a man could ask for, such a perfect and beautiful little girl.
9rjbjc.png

MacroMan!
  • Members
  • 604 posts
  • Last active: Mar 20 2012 11:40 AM

but where's the American flag?

It's already in English, you nitwit (there's a very British term for you).

including the example code which looks ridiculous in IE on my system.

Shouldn't have this problem with the new site as all the font's are specifically set at 1.1em.

Regarding the documentation, will emphasis be put on the AutoHotkey_L documentation?

This is entirely up to you. I am designing a new site that will have a Content Management System with automatic CHM generation. I am not designing content. If you want, you can have access to the CMS to update the help file and use it to generate the latest CHM.

Laxikos, on a secondary note, will you be wanting to change to the file icon of AHK when we switch to the new website? This decision is entirely down to you.

I will have a look at the colours of the menu bars today.

Thanks for all your feedback/comments/questions guys! Keep 'em coming.

David
What ever happened, happened.

otlaolap
  • Members
  • 43 posts
  • Last active: Sep 12 2013 02:33 AM
I far prefer the current documentation to the sample you show. The sample is skinny. There is a lot of wasted space; only one half or less of my browser window width gets actual info, and the first third of the window is either white space or generic overhead (logos, huge menu text) and is garish and contrasty and distracting. It's hard to see the actual information on the page. Further, you have to keep scrollilng up and down the skinny column to read, making it very difficult to understand.

The current documentation fills up the window with information, and you can see it all, letting your eye go from point to point to check its understanding. THe information is not in high-contrast form, meaning you can easily absorb it without distraction.

I feel the new design is trying to push itself upon me, to make me conform to it. The older design presents information, quickly and fully, and leaves me free to organize it for myself.

wooly_sammoth
  • Members
  • 644 posts
  • Last active: Jul 03 2013 08:08 PM
Good job MacroMan.

I really like the layout and general feel of the mock-up but do agree with quite a few of the points made earlier in the thread.

The main banner should line up the left hand side of the blue box with the main body of the site although this is probably just me being a bit OCD (or as I prefer to say it CDO, as then it's in alphabetical order).

With regards the borders I think that the outer border should be the same colour as the current sub menu bar which in turn should be a lighter blue (perhaps the blue of the 'Automation' in the logo. Has white been tried as the background colour? To my mind it gives a nice crisp feel and defines the edges of the content from the background.

I like the new docs too although I'd agree in using a different colour for the background of the code snippets. I'm not entirely sure what combination to use but it should be taken into consideration that visually impared or colour blind people may be looking at the site so high contrast and avoidance of certain colour combinations (dark red on black) should be used (or at least be an option).
I like the idea of the pull out bar with the list of commands on. Generally I know the name of the command I want to look up so a search box that takes me directly to that command would be useful (although not as friendly to new starters.)

IsNull
  • Moderators
  • 990 posts
  • Last active: May 15 2014 11:56 AM
Nicely done!

Like mentioned before, the background of the code section is not optimal, but thats a very small problem. :)

Btw, as soon the design/CMS is stable and gets implemented in the EN site, you may contact me that we can absorb it for the german site. Same for upgrading the German Forum.
I don't know if you have FTP Access to the german server folder, but I think after the CMS is running on it shouldn't be that problem to fill in the Text. (Which CMS do you use? I doesnt look like any which I know :) )

In the meantime I will start a poll to find a Person in the German forum which want to maintain the Text/Info on the German Site (I think you can simple provide some write rights on some parts of the site).

MacroMan!
  • Members
  • 604 posts
There seems to be conflicting interest on what type of layout the documentation should be on. Some like the new style (but not the code bg colour) but some don't like it.

The CMS (Content Management System) I'm using allows me to 'Publish' pages, so I could easily produce a much simplified version for those users who wish to use it. Maybe even have a preference that is stored as a cookie on the users machine.

The CMS is custom written by me because all of the ones currently available are too bloated and contain uneeded functions that I won't use. Plus it will need to 'Publish' pages in different formats/languages and also produce the CHM help file. Custom was the only way to go (it's almost complete anyway).

As for the logo at the top, I tried lining it up with the left, but it just didn't look right, with the offset it looks better.

I will be changing the colour of menus later today to see what they look like. I haven't tried a white outside bg yet, but it's something I can do to see how it looks.

As for the visually impaired that may wish to read the docs, I refer back to the CMS's ability to publish the pages in different formats.

@IsNull, The idea was to have different languages built in that are edited/maintained by the community, rather than third party site dotted about as it is at the moment. I will be working on this at a later date, but German will be the first one I do as it seems to be the second most used language in the world of AHK.

IsNull
  • Moderators
  • 990 posts

@IsNull, The idea was to have different languages built in that are edited/maintained by the community, rather than third party site dotted about as it is at the moment. I will be working on this at a later date, but German will be the first one I do as it seems to be the second most used language in the world of AHK.

Ah that sounds even better.

I suggest to let "de.autohotkey.com" still point to the German Version / Language Part of the site - a simple redirect should be fine. As for the Forum, the Domain Name should stay as it is (otherwise links on 3th party sites will break).

How does your CMS Handle different Languages in the Help Zone? It would be Optimal to have a Wiki-like system for the Help, (well more restricted access) so that the community can update / translate the Help Content.
And if your CMS is able to "compile" that online Help to a chm file, that would be fantastic.

There seems to be conflicting interest on what type of layout the documentation should be on. Some like the new style (but not the code bg colour) but some don't like it.

The key of a CMS is to split design and Content - exactly what we need for this complex community :lol: (You may provide different Templates so everyone is happy)

MacroMan!
  • Members
  • 604 posts

How does your CMS Handle different Languages in the Help Zone? It would be Optimal to have a Wiki-like system for the Help, (well more restricted access) so that the community can update / translate the Help Content.
And if your CMS is able to "compile" that online Help to a chm file, that would be fantastic.

Think of it like language packs. Each language is stored in it's own table and when someone makes a significant change (how this is determined has to be decided) it will show on the other languages edit pages that it may be out of date.

The CMS won't be particularly user friendly for an end user to begin with, but will be made more so over time. The login system I have designed allows for different permission levels as well as user groups to restrict what can and can't be done, so this will allow proper and audited access to authorized users. As this is the official documentation, it will not be available for anyone to edit. However there will be a 'Add your comments' bit at the bottom of every page so users will still be able to contribute.

The CMS will indeed be able to produce CHM files in all relevant languages.

I have made the mock design with a white bg and also changed the colours of the menus. What do people think?

David

IsNull
  • Moderators
  • 990 posts

I have made the mock design with a white bg and also changed the colours of the menus. What do people think?

Definitely better now, menu command structure is much clearer this way.

If you could change the bg of code section to a very light blue (kind of a very fade Cornflower Blue) I think it would make even better contrast to green comments.

SoLong&Thx4AllTheFish
  • Members
  • 4999 posts
  • Last active:
I still very much prefer the old style docs, just as a test with the new logo and nav bar:
<!-- m -->https://ahknet.autoh...oc/fileread.htm<!-- m -->
not so contrained in my view also more suitable for various (smaller) resolutions

just for fun: logo to the left
<!-- m -->https://ahknet.autoh...c/logo2left.gif<!-- m -->
(would prefer it that way, don't look at the colour green)
anyway, my 2cts

MacroMan!
  • Members
  • 604 posts
Have changed the code sections to light blue (even cornflower blue was too dark).

I like your document page hugov. I've decided that I will have 2 different skins for the docmentation. The one I've designed and a much simplified, full width version similar to yours. You can set this using a couple of small buttons in the top corner. It will store a cookie and read this on every page load and load the correct style sheet for the skin you have picked.

It seems that I've struck a chord on the mock design as it currently is. I shall proceed with this design. If it needs changing, it will be easy because it is all style sheet controlled.

David

Lexikos
  • Administrators
  • 9844 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active:

Laxikos, on a secondary note, will you be wanting to change to the file icon of AHK when we switch to the new website? This decision is entirely down to you.

Change it to what? If someone comes up with a full set of icons which fit the new design and aren't too bland or otherwise unappealing, I'm sure Laxikos may be persuaded to change the file icons. There would need to be tray icons and possibly a script file icon. At the moment I don't see much reason to change them.

MacroMan!
  • Members
  • 604 posts
The one's philou posted that everyone voted for:

File icon:
Posted Image

Tray icon:
Posted Image

David