Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Achromatic - ProgressPlatformer Refined

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic
Uberi
  • Moderators
  • 1119 posts
  • Last active: May 02 2015 06:05 PM
A not-very-colorful platformer game.

Screenshot:

Posted Image

Controls:

Left/Right Arrow - Move left/right
Up Arrow - Jump
Down Arrow - Duck
Left/Right Arrow + Up Arrow - Wall climb
Tab - Slow motion

Download:

Script

Version info:

This game is currently in Beta since there are issues with container entities in the game engine that prevent the level editor from working, and a general lack of content to play with. Expect to see a full version in the coming days. Until then, there are only five levels, two of them tutorial levels.

ProgressPlatformer has been completely rewritten to run on top of ProgressEngine, a game engine designed to support games such as this one. It is currently available as a part of the ProgressPlatformer package, but in the future it will be released separately.

Edit: Rewrote post for the new version, Achromatic.

sumon
  • Moderators
  • 1317 posts
  • Last active: Dec 05 2016 10:14 PM

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: Feb 04 2019 09:54 PM
Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

Uberi
  • Moderators
  • 1119 posts
Posted Image

On a related note, I've fixed some of the collision code, so it should glitch somewhat less now.

Uberi
  • Moderators
  • 1119 posts
Update: all non-OpenGL changes made to the OpenGL Platformer Demo have been merged into this script.

Uberi
  • Moderators
  • 1119 posts
Update:

[*:jdls9mfb]Physics rewritten - see here for details.
[*:jdls9mfb]Game logic improved.

Uberi
  • Moderators
  • 1119 posts
Update:

[*:2h161vp1]Script entirely rewritten - now with better physics and enemies.
[*:2h161vp1]Enemies attack when player comes within range.
[*:2h161vp1]Jumping on the blue rectangle removes it and adds 50% of your health.
[*:2h161vp1]Score is now your health.
Coming soon: an update to the 3D Version.

gamax92
  • Members
  • 411 posts
  • Last active: Aug 06 2013 05:00 AM
Umm, i think theres a glitch where you can ride the bottom of blocks and not die. You just dont fall down untill you get past the block.

Another note, ... im stuck.

Uberi
  • Moderators
  • 1119 posts

Umm, i think theres a glitch where you can ride the bottom of blocks and not die. You just dont fall down untill you get past the block.

That's intentional - I had a level idea in mind that will need this behavior in the future :).

Another note, ... im stuck.

You're stuck? Where?

jaco0646
  • Moderators
  • 3165 posts
  • Last active: Apr 01 2014 01:46 AM
Is the game supposed to end when you go off screen? I couldn't do anything after I fell off, but it didn't say I was dead. Nice work overall. Did you base this on any commercial game?

Suggestion: you could give the player a choice to play again when the game ends.
If (Health <= 0)        ;out of health
  MsgBox("You Lose!")
 If Inside(Player,Goal)  ;reached goal
  MsgBox("You win!`n`nYour score was " Round(Health) ".")

MsgBox(msg) {
 Gui, +OwnDialogs
 MsgBox, 36, , %msg%`n`nPlay Again?
 IfMsgBox, No
  ExitApp
 Reload
}

Uberi
  • Moderators
  • 1119 posts

Is the game supposed to end when you go off screen? I couldn't do anything after I fell off, but it didn't say I was dead.

Yes, the game is supposed to end when the player exits the level. I've fixed it now, you can redownload to get the changes.

Nice work overall. Did you base this on any commercial game?

Not that I know of - I just like platformer games for some reason :).

Suggestion: you could give the player a choice to play again when the game ends.

Good idea! I've added that too, although for simplicity it will now just restart instead of asking first.

jaco0646
  • Moderators
  • 3165 posts
I scored 188. I pwn this game.
I had another idea too: the player could go out one side and come back in the other like Pacman, but you die if you fall out the bottom.

gamax92
  • Members
  • 411 posts
  • Last active: Aug 06 2013 05:00 AM
I cant get pass the first two monsters, one kills me and i kill the other, i kill one and jump off the stage, they both kill me, i fly above the stage, they all gang up one me, i go thru the goal and fly off the stage.

Uberi
  • Moderators
  • 1119 posts

I cant get pass the first two monsters, one kills me and i kill the other, i kill one and jump off the stage, they both kill me, i fly above the stage, they all gang up one me, i go thru the goal and fly off the stage.

They don't attack unless they are within a certain range, so what I usually do is eliminate them one at a time so they never get the chance to gang up. You can jump higher and move faster than the blue rectangles, if you keep jumping you are likely to jump on them.

Going through the goal can happen if you are moving too fast. It's best to slow down when nearing it. This is actually a physics engine limitation, but you can avoid it by setting TargetFrameRate higher, somewhere around 60 FPS will eliminate almost all glitches.

jaco0646
  • Moderators
  • 3165 posts
New high score: 237

I got an out-of-bounds message for going out the top! That shouldn't happen, should it?