Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Firefox 4 opinions??

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic
codybear
  • Members
  • 600 posts
  • Last active: Feb 09 2015 12:41 PM
As for the speed of chrome, it used the same rendering engine as opera and safari, so I don't see how it could really be any faster than those in rendering a page, but I may be wrong.
Disclaimer: I'm not an expert by any means; I just try to help out where I can.

TLM
  • Administrators
  • 3864 posts
  • Last active:

Even on windows Chrome uses an archaic silent installer ( the main exe ). I was able to extract it using SandBoxie.. Serious pita and borderline suspicious imo.

I have to concede to Chrome's installer sucking though. It really does suck.

Not sure what you mean by that... It takes like 5 seconds, no clicking next 10 times etc. Super easy. You would appreciate it if you installed chrome on a lot of computers (which I do).

I mean that it's silent and installs for only one user off in a hidden folder :!:

I was v.surprised this coming from google..
What are they thinking, broad user base, not just tech.savvies ??

Posted Image

don't duplicate, iterate!

tidbit
  • Administrators
  • 2709 posts
  • Hates playing Janitor
  • Last active: Jan 15 2016 11:37 PM

As for the speed of chrome, it used the same rendering engine as opera and safari, so I don't see how it could really be any faster than those in rendering a page, but I may be wrong.

False.
Opera uses Presto.
Chrome uses WebKit.
Safari uses Webkit.

rawr. be very afraid
*poke*
. Populate the AutoHotkey city. Pointless but somewhat fun. .

codybear
  • Members
  • 600 posts

False.
Opera uses Presto.
Chrome uses WebKit.
Safari uses Webkit.

Ahhh, thanks for the correction. Did that change recently cause I was under the impression a while ago that all three were WebKit? Eitherway, thanks again.

tidbit
  • Administrators
  • 2709 posts
  • Hates playing Janitor
  • Last active: Jan 15 2016 11:37 PM
no. Opera has used Presto since 2003. it's theres. they built it. and only they use it.

rawr. be very afraid
*poke*
. Populate the AutoHotkey city. Pointless but somewhat fun. .

codybear
  • Members
  • 600 posts
Ahhh. I'm an idiot haha.

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2012 10:09 PM

Because I only have the one arm...
Ctrl-clicking poses a bit of a problem for me.

No. Seriously, though...
Why use two input devices when you can use just the one?
Depending on my task, I try to roll with either all KB or all mouse, whenever possible.

Middle-click: one input device, one action, one arm...
Why? Because I prefer one single action, even if it involves two hands, than a unique device making me make several action, with two aims (on the link, on the right menu item, which is made harder if they changed your habits...), etc.

I installed FF4 at work and lost some precious extensions, like MakeLink or Link Widgets (I haven't tried yet the trick on alter the RDF file, if it still works). So I haven't installed it yet at home.
Otherwise, I don't see that much improvements... I find stupid to copy Chrome so much, and annoying they only display an icon in the address bar when they block a pop-up: at least with the old system of a yellow bar, we were aware of the blocking...
Posted Image vPhiLho := RegExReplace("Philippe Lhoste", "^(\w{3})\w*\s+\b(\w{3})\w*$", "$1$2")

Frankie
  • Members
  • 2930 posts
  • Last active: Feb 05 2015 02:49 PM

I find stupid to copy Chrome so much

Chrome copies them too. Extentions for example, didn't firefox have them first? Now theres chrome extentions.

Btw, has anyone tried out the Firefox 4 Android app? It's a little buggy but better (arguably) than the default browser. It also works with add-ons.
aboutscriptappsscripts
Request Video Tutorials Here or View Current Tutorials on YouTube
Any code ⇈ above ⇈ requires AutoHotkey_L to run

codybear
  • Members
  • 600 posts

I find stupid to copy Chrome so much

Chrome copies them too. Extentions for example, didn't firefox have them first? Now theres chrome extentions.

Btw, has anyone tried out the Firefox 4 Android app? It's a little buggy but better (arguably) than the default browser. It also works with add-ons.

I haven't used the latest version of Firefox 4 for Android.
I will have to check that out, but personally I prefer Dolphin HD for my Android Device (HTC Incredible - Rooted, overclocked, and other various modification... Can't wait for the Bionic though!).

I do like the UI of FF4 personally. It's a lot cleaner and gives me maximum real estate on my Netbook. Pretty much all of my necessary extensions are available, although some (Adblock Plus, Stylish, and a couple others for example) have been found to slow down FF4.
Link: <!-- m -->https://addons.mozil... ... /#addon-11<!-- m -->
I like how FasterFox is on that list...it's kind of Ironic. :D

TLM
  • Administrators
  • 3864 posts
  • Last active:
Just placed it on the old to do list..

anything but the one that comes built in..

Posted Image

don't duplicate, iterate!