Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Forum upgrade - Bad news (and possibly good news)

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic
Eedis
  • Members
  • 1775 posts
  • Last active: Aug 14 2015 06:33 PM
Wow, I'd never think that a post you make 4 years ago can completley ruin the plans to upgrade it at a later state.
AutoHotkey state, the forum, Poly, and Drainx1. The short story.
I love my wife, my life, my atomic-match; for giving me the greatest gift a man could ask for, such a perfect and beautiful little girl.
9rjbjc.png

Liquid Gravity logged off
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Unforeseen Consequences

Man, I love Half-Life!

Frankie
  • Members
  • 2930 posts
  • Last active: Feb 05 2015 02:49 PM

In newer versions of phpBB you can add direct links to the forum lists. So in effect you could have both. Like so:

+1

Unforeseen Consequences

Man, I love Half-Life!

Ehh...well this is general chat :wink:
aboutscriptappsscripts
Request Video Tutorials Here or View Current Tutorials on YouTube
Any code ⇈ above ⇈ requires AutoHotkey_L to run

Lithodora
  • Members
  • 30 posts
  • Last active: Jul 12 2014 07:36 AM
I realize this is a bit old, but since it is possible to fix the issue that prevented upgrading to phpbb3, why hasn't it been done?

The one MAJOR thing I would love to have that is in phpbb3, Search Topic!

It would really help wade though stuff and make searches meaningful, example:

I searched the forums for Facebook. One of the search results was:

http://www.autohotke...hlight=facebook

I never found the highlighted text.... :shock: (mainly because I stopped at page 25)

Frankie
  • Members
  • 2930 posts
  • Last active: Feb 05 2015 02:49 PM

I never found the highlighted text.... :shock: (mainly because I stopped at page 25)

On the search page click posts (instead of topics) where it says "display results as".

Facebook search example
aboutscriptappsscripts
Request Video Tutorials Here or View Current Tutorials on YouTube
Any code ⇈ above ⇈ requires AutoHotkey_L to run

Lithodora
  • Members
  • 30 posts
  • Last active: Jul 12 2014 07:36 AM

On the search page click posts (instead of topics) where it says "display results as".

Facebook search example

Well that sort of is like what I mean, but it gives no context to what I'm looking for. Sure I can add in more detail, but say I wanted to search the COM topic I posted earlier. It can't be done as you've given the example, although a bit easier to look at I suppose.

Tuncay
  • Members
  • 1945 posts
  • Last active: Feb 08 2015 03:49 PM

If I look at the community and the very slow process migrating at AHK_L (which is mostly backwards compatible to AHK Basic) it will take years after the offical release of AHK v2 when AHK_L/AHK Basic will get "Obsolete".

i vote against that
let them be completely separate

It is ok, if the new forum is blank, except some important initial postings. Until really new user registers, we experienced users can create some topics about scripts converted to v2, or create some other helper stuff. So in meanwhile the rest of the world migrates slowly and the forum v2 is filling more and more.

Think of it. If you have a copy of same postings in new forum, which one should the user edit? Should he always edit both? It is so needless to copy all postings... no need for an upgrade. Leave v1 as it is and just create a new forum. And users do not read. They will post in v1 section, if it is available. They just post. So keep it separate. It is best for the future.

No signature.

amnesiac
  • Members
  • 124 posts
  • Last active: May 01 2014 03:04 AM

In newer versions of phpBB you can add direct links to the forum lists. So in effect you could have both. Like so:

I think it would be a good method.

Drugwash
  • Members
  • 1078 posts
  • Last active: May 24 2016 04:20 PM
@ David (MacroMan!):

Somewhere on a DVD of mine there's a 87.4 MiB 7-zip archive of the AHK forum dated May 2009, that I can't remember how or where I got from. If you value the information in the current forum so little as to consider putting it away, then I would only have one and last request: please create an updated archive of the current forum and provide a download link, so we all Win9x and/or AHK v1 users could get all the possible information before leaving this place forever, when time comes that Win9x is banned from AHK.
Thank you very much!

(AHK 1.0.48.05 and Win98SE) forever | My scripts are here

• Guests
  • Last active:
Looks like the forum & website won't be upgraded for a while, such a shame but thanks to MacroMan! for trying anyway - <!-- m -->http://www.autohotke...227.html#475227<!-- m -->

Drugwash
  • Members
  • 1078 posts
Thanks for the heads up. Yep, seems like it's stuck in the current form. Personally I don't mind at all - to me it feels like home and I'm one of the persons who panic when things change, maybe due to bad experiences in the past or whatever, so I'm much lighter at heart now.

However, a new AHK 1.1+ section could well be added to the current layout if separation between AHK versions is unavoidable, so that it would have a minimal impact on people who are comfortable enough with the way thing are.

• Guests
  • Last active:
Honestly, sorry, I rather feel annoyed by the fact that MacroMan! is not giving us the reasons of his resignation. It's not responsible conduct.

He became a mod here because of the ability of modifying phpBB, right? Now it is proven that he cannot, then what's the reason he is in such position? It annoys me that he even created a thread like this acting as if he were the expert of developing AutoHotkey who suffer from users' vague information, which he is not. A moderator here should have a profound skill level and knowledge of AutoHotkey to provide helpful information to forum members or other equivalent abilities to cover them. It is questionable if he cannot upgrade the forum.

Moreover, a role of a moderator takes more responsibilities than just of a regular member. Sometimes a moderator has to delete someone's post if it violates the forum guideline and he/she should be accountable for the decisions; the moderator should be able to tell the reasons why he/she did so. Otherwise, the person does not deserve to be a moderator.

MacroMan! should tell us why he gave it up.
--
Tough love is an expression used when someone treats another person harshly or sternly with the intent to help them in the long run. --by other forum member

Drugwash
  • Members
  • 1078 posts
Sometimes it's best to just leave it as is. Each person has their own reasons for acting one way or the other and even if those reasons may appear as non-valid to the others, they are valid enough for the respective person at that point. We should respect the decisions taken by others as much as we want our own decisions to be respected by them.

As such, I will thank David (MacroMan!) for his activity so far and if/when he may change his mind, I'm sure we will be notified.

SadAHKer
  • Guests
  • Last active:

Honestly, sorry, I rather feel annoyed by the fact that MacroMan! is not giving us the reasons of his resignation. It's not responsible conduct.

He became a mod here because of the ability of modifying phpBB, right? Now it is proven that he cannot, then what's the reason he is in such position? It annoys me that he even created a thread like this acting as if he were the expert of developing AutoHotkey who suffer from users' vague information, which he is not. A moderator here should have a profound skill level and knowledge of AutoHotkey to provide helpful information to forum members or other equivalent abilities to cover them. It is questionable if he cannot upgrade the forum.

Moreover, a role of a moderator takes more responsibilities than just of a regular member. Sometimes a moderator has to delete someone's post if it violates the forum guideline and he/she should be accountable for the decisions; the moderator should be able to tell the reasons why he/she did so. Otherwise, the person does not deserve to be a moderator.

MacroMan! should tell us why he gave it up.
--
Tough love is an expression used when someone treats another person harshly or sternly with the intent to help them in the long run. --by other forum member

+1, seems AHK is headless and slowly dying!!
The only hope now is an unofficial AHK forum, linked to the official one.

sinkfaze
  • Moderators
  • 6367 posts
  • Last active: Nov 30 2018 08:50 PM
Not having enough fun trolling at AutoIT forums, anon?