Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Forum upgrade - Bad news (and possibly good news)

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic
  • Guests
  • Last active:

+1, seems AHK is headless and slowly dying!!

I disagree. The head is Lexikos and whether to let AHK die is up to us community members.

Tuncay
  • Members
  • 1945 posts
  • Last active: Feb 08 2015 03:49 PM
Don't feed the troll!

No signature.

• Guests
  • Last active:
This might be really a dying community, having started calling somebody a troll for personal incapability of accepting different perspectives. Narrow-minded incompetence relying on the power of the great spirits and efforts conveyed by the former authorities has been throwing its weight around over other superior community members. On top of it, the forum accepts anonymous irresponsible posts insulting and offending others and the hetreds cause chain reactions and the wave reaches to the end of the stems, branches, and leaves. It is only the community itself that can stop it.

nimda
  • Members
  • 4368 posts
  • Last active: Aug 09 2015 02:36 AM

They claim they're here to discuss but in fact are just here to
cause trouble. Trolls have an exaggerated sense of their own importance.
Trolls will frequently use a persecution defense when they are asked to cease
their antisocial behavior. When someone asks them nicely to stop posting negative
comments, they'll claim innocent intent and will scream censorship. They will
claim that they are being singled out because of their unpopular viewpoints.

fits nicely

• Guests
  • Last active:

They will
claim that they are being singled out because of their unpopular viewpoints.

I see who the troll was now.

nimda
  • Members
  • 4368 posts
  • Last active: Aug 09 2015 02:36 AM

Trolls will only stay when they are fed or given attention.
So please do not pet, respond to, or feed trolls.
Doing so only results in their prolonged stay.

Now back on topic---
I agree with Drugwash, but don't think the forum should split yet.

Drugwash
  • Members
  • 1078 posts
  • Last active: May 24 2016 04:20 PM
To say the truth, this is quite a hard decision to take; nevertheless, time is not a friend in this situation. Let me explain my point of view: it's been a while already since AHK_L became the point of interest in the community. As such, many scripts that use the new syntax have popped up. However, throughout the board there are countless older (and not so) scripts created for AHK Classic that use the classic syntax.

Now, new or otherwise not-so-familiarized users may pick up a "classic" script and try to run it under AHK_L, which may not always work (as is or at all). If we keep the scripts section compact, on one hand these users might get confused as to what to choose, how to add/modify, etc.; on the other hand, new AHK_L-compatible scripts will get mixed up with the classic ones at the point they won't be separable without huge efforts, which - at this point, with David having declined the task (whatever his reasons - this is not the point here) - I personally can't see who could afford.

Having the two sections separated would allow an obvious distinction between Classic and L (and/or other new versions) and willing, porting will be clear for everybody. Classic scripts will remain classic, for whoever (just like myself) prefers to stay with AHK Classic, for reasons that are private and not subject to debate or mockery, while - at the same time - they will get their chance to be ported to new syntax and given their own space in the new section. Confusion would therefore be avoided as much as possible, the sole responsibility being for users to post their scripts and/or requests to the correct section.

Moreover, it would be easier to help (and get helped) when in the right section, whereas currently one never knows (unless the user stated the obvious, which rarely happens) if the request regards Classic or L+ usage, which AHK version is installed on user's machine, if the script is designed to run under one AHK version or another (things get complicated when overall compatibility is required) and whatever other issues.
Personally I started having trouble helping people since AHK_L is off-limits for me and I can't always know or guess the user's environment; having separate sections would allow me (and anybody else in similar situation, on either side) to restrain own activity to the section most appropriate for them.

Anyway, this is my own point of view on the matter and I thought it should be presented publicly. Anyone is entitled to their opinions and we always learn (and if smart, apply when/where/as appropriate), even from a troll's slightest hint. It's best though that we come to a consensus by debating in a civilized manner, instead of wasting space and time with senseless argues.

(AHK 1.0.48.05 and Win98SE) forever | My scripts are here