Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate

Fade Inactive Windows

• Please log in to reply
118 replies to this topic
Associater
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Yep! It seems two windows of the same app (such as text) opened creates some strange effects! Especially, after the script is running for a while...

:lol:

earlsd
  • Members
  • 50 posts
  • Last active: Sep 02 2011 07:24 PM

Sorry to be picky :) I was just looking at the about box and noticed they weren't there. And what good timing! I was using them already today for Windows Explorer. I had two of them up, and the active one just stayed transparent half the time... Haven't had a chance to debug it yet. Might be the same issue Bruno was having?

I had one stick yesterday too. I just wrote a 1 liner to turn it off until I could get home and build it in. Not sure which program it was that stuck. I did notice with keeping all the windows in an active process visible, multiple explorer windows don't fade. I'm not sure if that bothers me or not yet.

Associater
  • Guests
  • Last active:
I hope storms and tornadoes ain't affecting your work!

earlsd
  • Members
  • 50 posts

I hope storms and tornadoes ain't affecting your work!

Much like some parts of Cali don't get a lot of earthquakes, the worst part of the storms don't normally make it over the river here. It's raining.

But thanks for the concern. :lol:

jesseelliott
  • Members
  • 26 posts
  • Last active: May 19 2011 07:40 PM

I did notice with keeping all the windows in an active process visible, multiple explorer windows don't fade. I'm not sure if that bothers me or not yet.

One way to get around that (and it's something I always like to do anyway) is to have your Explorer Windows all come up in their own process. Go to Tools -> Folder Options -> View, and check "Launch folder windows in a separate process." :)

Associater
  • Guests
  • Last active:

I did notice with keeping all the windows in an active process visible, multiple explorer windows don't fade. I'm not sure if that bothers me or not yet.

One way to get around that (and it's something I always like to do anyway) is to have your Explorer Windows all come up in their own process. Go to Tools -> Folder Options -> View, and check "Launch folder windows in a separate process." :)

Just to clarify...
Launch folder windows in a separate process:
This option should be checked on all computers. Is turned off by default to because it takes a little bit of extra memory. The benefit of this option is that when one folder window or Internet Explorer crashes, other windows can still stay open. :idea:

jesseelliott
  • Members
  • 26 posts
  • Last active: May 19 2011 07:40 PM

Just to clarify...
This option should be checked on all computers. Is turned off by default to because it takes a little bit of extra memory. The benefit of this option is that when one folder window or Internet Explorer crashes, other windows can still stay open. :idea:

Correction: I believe XP actually did put each window in its own process, but I just discovered that Windows 7 does not work this way. Windows 7 opens all Explorer Windows in a separate process, that is, one separate process for all windows to keep them separate from the main explorer.exe that is the start bar...

JonS
  • Members
  • 49 posts
  • Last active: Feb 09 2018 07:45 PM
This has progressed....a lot. Really nice work. I like it :D

https://sites.google.com/site/inactivewinfader/

Some should probably post a comment with that link to lifehacker where it was featured, so people aren't downloading the original version.

earlsd
  • Members
  • 50 posts

This has progressed....a lot. Really nice work. I like it :D

https://sites.google.com/site/inactivewinfader/

Some should probably post a comment with that link to lifehacker where it was featured, so people aren't downloading the original version.

I tried, I guess none of my comments were approved.

bruno
  • Members
  • 635 posts
  • Last active: Nov 04 2015 02:26 PM

Just to clarify...

Correction: I believe XP actually did put each window in its own process, but I just discovered that Windows 7 does not work this way. Windows 7 opens all Explorer Windows in a separate process, that is, one separate process for all windows to keep them separate from the main explorer.exe that is the start bar...

I have a desktop XP (latest and greatest) and I checked Toos > Folders Options... > View, and under Files and Folders, the checkbox for [Launch folder windows in a separate process] was never checked! I also have a mean notebook and 1 Dell netbook, both Windows 7, but I hardly use them, and they are just backups and toys. :lol: I have never checked this with Win 7, however!

• Guests
  • Last active:
I'm sorry to say this, but this transparent windows thing is not a good idea.
This feature has been available for more than a decade on Windows and there is a good reason Microsoft never wanted to use it. That reason being it just takes too much CPU.
Nowadays things are a bit better as computers are faster and have special graphic instructions for things like this. But the problem still holds. Calculating what color to show for a given pixel depending on all the semi-transparent objects behind it reaquires a hell lot of CPU cycles.
It's ok if you use this for short-time effects and things like that. But keeping all your windows semi-transparent all the time (except for the active window) is a real performace killer.

Duke!
  • Guests
  • Last active:

This feature has been available for more than a decade on Windows and there is a good reason Microsoft never wanted to use it. That reason being it just takes too much CPU.

Could you please elaborate on this point more specifically? What feature is this specifically, and implemented in what Windows versions?

• Guests
  • Last active:

Could you please elaborate on this point more specifically? What feature is this specifically, and implemented in what Windows versions?

I was just talking about the ability to make windows transparent (alpha transparency).
That capability has been present in the API since loooong time ago, and Microsoft never used it for anything.

Duke!
  • Guests
  • Last active:
I understand why the above feature has never been considered in Windows, BUT the following code MUST be DEFINITELY included in every OS: :lol:
; http://www.autohotkey.com/forum/topic6772.html
; http://www.autohotkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6772&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30
; FocuslessScroll: This code activates the window under the mouse whenever there is a scroll wheel movement.

CoordMode Mouse, Screen

WheelTime  = 500 ; WheelTime = 1000
WheelDelta:= 120 << 16
WheelMax  := 4 * WheelDelta

WheelUp::
   Critical
   If (A_ThisHotKey <> A_PriorHotKey OR A_TimeSincePriorHotkey > WheelTime)
        WCnt = %WheelDelta%
   Else If (WCnt < WheelMax)
        WCnt+= WheelDelta
   MouseGetPos m_x, m_y
   hw_m_target := DllCall("WindowFromPoint", "int",m_x, "int",m_y)
   SendMessage 0x20A, WCnt, (m_y<<16)|m_x,,ahk_id %hw_m_target% ; WM_MOUSEWHEEL
Return

WheelDown::
   Critical
   If (A_ThisHotKey <> A_PriorHotKey OR A_TimeSincePriorHotkey > WheelTime)
        WCnt = %WheelDelta%
   Else If (WCnt < WheelMax)
        WCnt+= WheelDelta
   MouseGetPos m_x, m_y
   hw_m_target := DllCall("WindowFromPoint", "int",m_x, "int",m_y)
   SendMessage 0x20A,-WCnt, (m_y<<16)|m_x,,ahk_id %hw_m_target% ; WM_MOUSEWHEEL
Return