Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

Appifyer (0.99 alpha) - Launch & hotkey any apps

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic
nimda
  • Members
  • 4368 posts
  • Last active: Aug 09 2015 02:36 AM
One click install is not working on my Vista 32 bit
Edit: I'm being stupid.
Edit: This is very unintuitive, plus one-click still doesn't work

sumon
  • Moderators
  • 1317 posts
  • Last active: Dec 05 2016 10:14 PM

source code link is broken

Fixed.

One click install is not working on my Vista 32 bit
Edit: I'm being stupid.
Edit: This is very unintuitive, plus one-click still doesn't work

Common errors (should be cleared out for upcoming versions):

- The script (Appifyer) is not run as admin, and can therefore not add the "Appify" URI
- Engines\Appify.exe is missing or old
- [Edit] Trying to update several apps at once can also cause Appify.exe to misbehave or crash. This will be fixed by adding queueing and "Update all apps".

Cerberus
  • Members
  • 175 posts
  • Last active: Aug 17 2017 05:01 PM
Cool! When I first read this, I was wondering how it could be useful. But I decided to try it when I saw several interesting applications in the list (notably Zizorz). It works quite well! I am on Windows 7 at the moment, on an old computer. The only thing that doesn't work so far is one-click installation, as mentioned by others.

One thing you might want to mention is that the Appifyer executable needs to be run "as an administrator" for the apps to work correctly—at least on this PC.

Another thing I'd like is the option to keep the tray messages of the apps on screen until I click them away: when learning how to use the apps, I keep forgetting which key does what, and the tray messages disappear quickly, forcing me to restart the app many times. I would reset this option once I had learned well enough how the apps work.

Oh, and I didn't understand what those buttons meant in the apps list: I only found out what the overlapping squares and the cross meant by clicking on them; and the next time I had forgotten again. So at least a tooltip would be welcome, or preferably just a button with text, like "uninstall" and "keep running".

You could even add the text from the help file to the main tab with the apps list; in general, I like your interfaces, but I think they could profit from a little more text, and there appears to be plenty of space. But it still works fine as it is, too. I really like your program!

Oh, and it would be cool if the hotkeys were completely configurable: I might need most win+g etc. keys for other programs on my main computer. The same applies to the modifier keys in Zizorz: alt + drag is already taken by my window moving/resizing program, etc. People will always appreciate it if they are 100 % free to change hotkeys; it would be regrettable if someone was unable to use your program owing to a stupid hotkey conflict, which are bound to occur...

kizsleg
  • Members
  • 32 posts
  • Last active: Mar 31 2012 02:39 PM
nice application.
hmm, i got problem with the "pop up" or toaster thing. it doesn't show the icon.
i think you forgot to remove your gmail account info in the source. @[email protected]
maybe it will be much better if you add user control about the toaster popup (if they want to show when launching application or not). you may also want to add some styles like alpha blending.

sumon
  • Moderators
  • 1317 posts

nice application.
hmm, i got problem with the "pop up" or toaster thing. it doesn't show the icon.
i think you forgot to remove your gmail account info in the source. @[email protected]
maybe it will be much better if you add user control about the toaster popup (if they want to show when launching application or not). you may also want to add some styles like alpha blending.

Thanks! At what point does it not show the toaster icon? When launching an app? Which app(s)? Good point, account changed and obscured now (yet another reason of why sharing source publically is not always a good idea, thanks for being honest though). You can disable notifications under Settings. Adding more settings is always a possibility, it's just a matter of time+space (making a cluttered GUI) against user value.

Alpha blending for the Notify() I bet? That could be an idea, but I think "styles" would be a better idea. That is, sets of colors that would apply to both GUIs, Menu and Notifications. And before I implement that, I have a list of other things to do, and I think the GUI will look very different when I have my will with it. My favorite GUI is the Skype GUI, if I could make it look like that I'd be very very happy ;)

dragby
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • Last active: Mar 03 2012 04:15 PM
Hi Simon!

Before upgrading to v0.98 I activated the Appifier menu by using the middle mouse button hotkey, which I find very convenient. However, this behaviour doesn't seem to work now, since you have been working to have the menu appear over the Start menu.

I would prefer having it the "old" way. Is it possible for you to override the "Start menu" variation when, for example, the Hotkey is set to one of the mouse buttons (because setting it to a mouse button indicates that the user wants the menu to appear under the mouse cursor). If not possible, or you don't like the idea then that's no problem... :wink:

Another thing I would like to check with you is the following. I wasn't quite sure how to upgrade from v0.97 to v0.98, so I unzipped the files and manually edited AppifyerApps.ini to add a few apps that I had in the old version, among others Zizors.exe. Here is how it looks:

[Zizorz]
File=Apps\Zizorz\Zizorz.exe
FilePathType=Relative
Version=
Active=1
Mode=OnDemand
LaunchCount=0
Icon=
Winkey=
Hotkey=Z

Of course Appifyer detected that the version info is missing and suggested I update. But when I try to do so I get an error and Appifyer tells me to try again or update manually. My question is how I should go about updating manually.

Cheers
Dragby

sumon
  • Moderators
  • 1317 posts

Hi Simon!

Before upgrading to v0.98 I activated the Appifier menu by using the middle mouse button hotkey, which I find very convenient. However, this behaviour doesn't seem to work now, since you have been working to have the menu appear over the Start menu.

I would prefer having it the "old" way. Is it possible for you to override the "Start menu" variation when, for example, the Hotkey is set to one of the mouse buttons (because setting it to a mouse button indicates that the user wants the menu to appear under the mouse cursor). If not possible, or you don't like the idea then that's no problem... :wink:

Another thing I would like to check with you is the following. I wasn't quite sure how to upgrade from v0.97 to v0.98, so I unzipped the files and manually edited AppifyerApps.ini to add a few apps that I had in the old version, among others Zizors.exe. Here is how it looks:

[Zizorz]
File=Apps\Zizorz\Zizorz.exe
FilePathType=Relative
Version=
Active=1
Mode=OnDemand
LaunchCount=0
Icon=
Winkey=
Hotkey=Z

Of course Appifyer detected that the version info is missing and suggested I update. But when I try to do so I get an error and Appifyer tells me to try again or update manually. My question is how I should go about updating manually.

Cheers
Dragby

Hi Dragby, and thanks for being a returning user and coming with valuable suggestions and "bug report" here. Your suggested change of allowing duplicate MButton usage is good. As for me, I personally would not want to use MButton as a hotkey, because I use it for too many other things (and this is one of the reasons why I think a similar app called "MiddleClick" failed hard). The only workaround I have now is to set the Appifyer hotkey to another button or hotkey (such as XButton1, which would be the first special button of your mouse, if it has one), downgrade, or wait for the next update, which I anticipate to be coming soon™.

When updating, you can keep your old AppifyerApps.ini. Two things will be different: You will have no version numbers (version was unknown when you installed the apps), and the new version of Appifyer will not recognize Winkey, since it is added into the hotkey value instead of being seperate. The easiest way to cure this:

1) Launch Appifyer
2) Go to Settings (Hold the Appifyer hotkey for >0.5 seconds, or just select App Settings)
3) Manually enable all the Winkeys, save.
4) Go to advanced. Update. Update the apps that can be updated, one at the time. This will also ensure that you indeed do run the latest version(s).

If you want to manually edit the ini, or are just curious about where Appifyer gets its' version data from, you can go to <!-- m -->http://appifyer.com/...nfo.php?app=all<!-- m --> (or app=Zizorz, for example) to see the versions. If you believe your version is already up-to-date, but you don't wanna disable autoupdate, you can then add the appropiate version number for each app.

Hardly automatic to fix stuff like this, but this is alpha mind you all. I do apologize for any and all bugs and inconveniences, but I must warn you that they exist. For normal usage it works as intended, and readding all apps or manually editing the AppifyerApps ini helps in 90% of the cases where something has bugged.

sumon
  • Moderators
  • 1317 posts
Version 0.99 is out, it's a minor release but supports notifications from Appifyer.com in case of important announcements. It also has Dragby's issue fixed, along with some other issues such as old hotkeys sometimes not getting properly removed after changing them. If your update doesn't seem to work, you might have to download a new version of Appify, put it in your Engines directory and active One-click installation. This requirement will be removed in the future, and Appify.exe should also follow some proper update procedure. <!-- m -->http://appifyer.com/...fyer/Appify.exe<!-- m -->

EDIT: The .zip is also updated with the latest Appifyer and Appify (helptool), I also added Zizorz to the installation package again.

nimda
  • Members
  • 4368 posts
  • Last active: Aug 09 2015 02:36 AM
Bug report:
Posted Image
This (the extra #) happens for everything I launch, although for things without a hotkey it shows "##Z" invariably. #Z happens to be Zizorz.

Edit: not fixed in 0.99

Edit: for apps without a hotkey, the previous hotkey (with the buggy #) is shown in the notification

sumon
  • Moderators
  • 1317 posts

Bug report:
Posted Image
This (the extra #) happens for everything I launch, although for things without a hotkey it shows "##Z" invariably. #Z happens to be Zizorz.

Edit: not fixed in 0.99

Edit: for apps without a hotkey, the previous hotkey (with the buggy #) is shown in the notification

Oh right, that's actually a global bug now, I should have fixed that for 0.99, my bad. Thanks for the report.

tomoe_uehara
  • Members
  • 2166 posts
  • Last active: Jun 11 2015 05:33 PM

Appifyer (zip) - v0.98

First page is still v0.98

sumon
  • Moderators
  • 1317 posts

Appifyer (zip) - v0.98

Fix'd.

I also sneakpatched the bug nimda reported (that is, no enforced download - but the new files are online).

hoppfrosch
  • Members
  • 399 posts
  • Last active: Feb 26 2016 05:31 AM

Appifyer (zip) - v0.98

Fix'd.

Your HUUUUGGGEEEE Signature als promotes 0.98 - unless a newer version is available ...

tomoe_uehara
  • Members
  • 2166 posts
  • Last active: Jun 11 2015 05:33 PM

Appifyer (zip) - v0.98

Fix'd.

Your HUUUUGGGEEEE Signature als promotes 0.98 - unless a newer version is available ...

It'll be changed to "Latest version" too (maybe?)

sumon
  • Moderators
  • 1317 posts

Has it been annoying on you? :( I don't think it matters - the major update is/was 0.99, but 0.99 is the latest version, which is apperant from the changelog. I bet I could also change the title of this topic to reflect latest version, not a bad idea.

It'll be changed to "Latest version" too (maybe?)

My signature will be changed to a more discrete one, the point was to alert everyone of the fact that Appifyer bumped into activity mode again, and that many things have been fixed. And of course general promotion for people who didn't even know about it.

:)