Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

I really must recommand PSPad for editing AHK files...FTW

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic
Harmor
  • Members
  • 182 posts
  • Last active: Sep 20 2007 05:09 AM
I usued to be a Visual N++ (notepad.exe), exclusive user, but this program actually is a very good editor.

PSPad - http://www.pspad.com/

Without having to pay, this is the best freeware editor (I used it instead of Visual Studio in many cases), when working with AHK and web file formats.

Other than the vertical selection feature in Visual Studio (haven't figured out if PSPad can do it), I use it all the time, especially when editing SQL files.

5 out of 5 stars

Don't forget to download the Syntax highlighting file (HGL file) so PSPad will recoginize AHK files and allow you to press F9 to run your script from within the editor.
//TODO: Create kewl sig...

Rabiator
  • Members
  • 292 posts
  • Last active: Aug 29 2016 09:29 PM
BTW, the AutoHotkey package provides scripts that update the syntax highlighting and other features for editors, also for PSPad. See the autohotkey subdir Extras / Editors.

JSLover
  • Members
  • 920 posts
  • Last active: Nov 02 2012 09:54 PM

this is the best freeware editor
5 out of 5 stars

...no it's not...I downloaded it & uninstalled it the 1st day because it has horrible word wrap & the author knows it's horrible.

0 out of 5...until they fix their word wrap.

Notepad2 is the best...I was able to make it look 100% like Notepad, but have more features. Word wrap has a few issues kinda...it don't perfom well on long lines, but it don't completely mess up code like PSPad.
Useful forum links: New content since: Last visitPast weekPast 2 weeks (links will show YOUR posts, not mine)

OMFG, the AutoHotkey forum is IP.board now (yuck!)...I may not be able to continue coming here (& I love AutoHotkey)...I liked phpBB, but not this...ugh...

Note...
I may not reply to any topics (specifically ones I was previously involved in), mostly cuz I can't find the ones I replied to, to continue helping, but also just cuz I can't stand the new forum...phpBB was soo perfect. This is 100% the opposite of "perfect".

I also semi-plan to start my own, phpBB-based AutoHotkey forum (or take over the old one, if he'll let me)
PM me if you're interested in a new phpBB-based forum (I need to know if anyone would use it)
How (or why) did they create the Neil Armstrong memorial site (neilarmstronginfo.com) BEFORE he died?

Thalon
  • Members
  • 641 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2017 12:17 PM
Hehe, I downloaded Notepad2 and uninstalled it the same day ;)
Instead I love using PS-Pad :lol:

I do not really like the Notepad-Style because I can't read it very fast in the normal form (it's really crude)...

As in the other thread (AHK as programming language) our tastes are really different :lol:

Thalon

BoBo
  • Guests
  • Last active:

I downloaded Notepad2 and uninstalled it the same day

It's a single executable (no uninstall required :wink: ) which is btw why I like it so much (eg. on my USB memory stick) :D

Degustibus non est disbutandum. 8)

Rabiator
  • Members
  • 292 posts

0 out of 5...until they fix their word wrap.

You are right if you put the focus on word wrap. However, for a program editor this isn't essential.

PSPad comes with some innovative and sophisticated features. For example you can change and add functionality with scripts (ok, not ahk but VBScript and JScript :wink:). It has things like autocompletion, a flexibly adaptable clip functionality with user configurable controls, several very useful tools integrated, project management, .. ok ok I'll stop now. Sounds like advertisement.

It will be hard to find another freeware program editor with that density of features. I am using it since 8 months for ahk and c, and I'm still enthused.
5/5 stars.

@Harmor
Vertical selection works, with Shift+Ctrl+C.

Atomhrt
  • Members
  • 124 posts
  • Last active: Nov 13 2006 09:18 PM

I usued to be a Visual N++ (notepad.exe), exclusive user, but this program actually is a very good editor.

Are you talking about notepad++ (notepad++.exe) found here: http://sourceforge.n...ts/notepad-plus ?

If so, it's not bad and getting better. I agree with JSLover about the wrapping issue. I use editors for more than program editing and pspad is broken when it comes to wrapping and searching both used at the same time. The thing that bothers me is the author seems to not want to fix it citing that it would require major changes to the code. This tells me that the code has possibly more issues.

I currently use emeditor or GVim, but what works for you is what works.
I am he of whom he speaks!

BoBo
  • Guests
  • Last active:

Are you talking about notepad++ (notepad++.exe) ?

No. Notepad"Two" isn't the same as Notepad"Plus", which you could get here ---> [Notepad2].

Again, as it is a single executable have a try. I recommend it when it comes to support a customer. It's small (to send it by mail), you don't have to install it (perfect if your customer doesn't have the permissions to do so), and cause I need that the customer is able to swap line endings UNIX/Windows/MAC and to talk at which line the error seems to occur (line numbers). JM2C :)

btw. I still waiting that Notepad2 will be recompiled to include the AHK "syntax" (while removing the other languages except INIs and TXTs), and so becomes the native AHK editor provided within or as addition to the AHK Install package. ---> [Implement AHK within Notepad2]. :cry:

Harmor
  • Members
  • 182 posts
  • Last active: Sep 20 2007 05:09 AM

Vertical selection works, with Shift+Ctrl+C.

WOOT!!!!!!!! 6 out of 5 stars!!!!
//TODO: Create kewl sig...

thomasl
  • Members
  • 92 posts
  • Last active: Sep 28 2006 09:55 AM
Re PSPad and word wrap... I know the 4.3.x versions were shaky.

But the two guys who complained about word wrap... did you ever check with the current 4.5 version of PSPad?

Word wrap is one of the functions I need very much and use quite often; with this version it finally works (for me, at least).

Atomhrt
  • Members
  • 124 posts
  • Last active: Nov 13 2006 09:18 PM

Re PSPad and word wrap... I know the 4.3.x versions were shaky.

But the two guys who complained about word wrap... did you ever check with the current 4.5 version of PSPad?

Word wrap is one of the functions I need very much and use quite often; with this version it finally works (for me, at least).

By Fudd it looks like it's fixed! It was released on 12/24/2005 and I was not aware of this release. I still like emeditor and GVim better for my purposes.
I am he of whom he speaks!

• Guests
  • Last active:
damn nice freebie.. !!..PSPad..!!

u have my thumbs up.. just dl and tested absolute essential imo..!!

evl
  • Members
  • 1237 posts
  • Last active: Oct 20 2010 11:41 AM
Here's my list of most useful keyboard shortcuts, etc for AHK:

F9 - run script (or selected text) (VERY HANDY!)

Bookmarks (temporary):
Alt+Left - Set Bookmark
Alt+Right - Del Bookmark
Alt+Up - Previous Bookmark
Alt+Down - Next Bookmark

Selection + Layout:
Tab (while line(s) highlighted) - indent block
Shift+Tab - un-indent block
Full line seleection - click on line number (when displayed on left - also works with Shift key)
ALT+ "start selecting" - vertical selection
Ctrl+Shift+a - comment/uncomment selected lines

Command Completion, etc:
Ctrl+J - auto-complete command name AND variables
Ctrl+Space - auto-complete a full command line
Middle Mouse (wheel) click - brings up a menu of commands, similar to Ctrl+Space.
Alt+F1 or...
Right-click on something you typed and choose "Help for Language" to jump to it in the help file.

Colours:
The default colours in PSPad were not to my personal taste and they're quite easy to change ( Settings > Highlighter settings > Autohotkey (at the bottom of the list))

Rabiator
  • Members
  • 292 posts

There are a couple of auto-complete hotkeys (word and full line) I'm sure (discovered by accident) but I can't remember them now - anyone know them?

I often use Ctrl+Space to complete a command and add dummy parameters automatically.

evl
  • Members
  • 1237 posts
  • Last active: Oct 20 2010 11:41 AM
Hmmm, this is puzzling:
I'm using the latest version of PSPad (4.5.0 (2175) - 12/24/2005) and Ctrl+Space is bound to "Show Clips" (under Settings > Program Settings > Key Map > Tools). Key Map > Tools > "Auto Completion" is bound to Ctrl+J, but it just completes one word, which is pretty useless.

Also, I notice Key Map > Editor > "Context Help" is bound to F1 but doesn't seem to do anything, unlike right-clicking and choosing help.

So, are these things that's been messed up in the new version of PSPad? If it works for anyone else ok, which version are you using?