Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

ahkstdlib Collection - Should I stop the Basic support?

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

Poll: Should I drop the support of AutoHotkey Basic in next updates? (40 member(s) have cast votes)

Should I drop the support of AutoHotkey Basic in next updates?

1. Yes, concentrate on AHK_L only. (26 votes [63.41%])

Percentage of vote: 63.41%

2. No, AHK Basic will be a standard for long time. (15 votes [36.59%])

Percentage of vote: 36.59%

Vote Guests cannot vote
Mickers
  • Members
  • 1239 posts
  • Last active: Sep 25 2015 03:03 PM

I'd like to point out the new website will focus completely on v2 there won't even be a place to ask for help with basic.

I think that is nonsense.

I could be wrong but what I read was the new site will focus completely on v2. The old forum will still exist as an archive but nothing more. Who knows if that has changed. :?

SoLong&Thx4AllTheFish
  • Members
  • 4999 posts
  • Last active:

I could be wrong

Yes, you're wrong <!-- m -->http://www.autohotke... ... 836#433836<!-- m -->
It will remain accessible.

jethrow
  • Moderators
  • 2854 posts
  • Last active: May 17 2017 01:57 AM

I say freeze the basic lib and leave it avail no new development

This seems to line up best with AHK Basic's development. IMO, there is very little reason for most of the community not to focus on AutoHotkey_L (or looking forward, AHK v2).

fragman
  • Members
  • 1591 posts
  • Last active: Nov 12 2012 08:51 PM
I have posted my opinion on your other thread already, so I'll just say it again that I'm in favor of dropping support for older versions. It's too early for AHKv2 though.

girlgamer
  • Moderators
  • 3263 posts
  • Last active: Feb 01 2015 09:49 AM
Should that actually be the case then the question posed at the beginning of this thread is both moot and irrelevant. The answer already exists in the form of the new website. Orphan Basic, develop for L, and let V2 compete with L. Hope you guys have plenty of time for the bug reports and compatibility issues tho. I suspect there are going to be a lot of broken scripts out there.

The universe is a wondrous place! The faster you create unbreakable code, the faster the universe creates people that can break it. All scripting follows the rule Rule Of Twos -- 1) Good, 2) Fast 3) Cheap -- pick any Two.
I guarantee absolutely nothing about any code I provide except that it works in my machine. ●
MMO Fighter   KeyLooperDemo   Key Spammer   TinyClickRecorder  GGs Password Generator.ahk
For the newest version of AutoHotkey and some killer scripts go here.
Rock-on%20kitten.gif

Tuncay
  • Members
  • 1945 posts
  • Last active: Feb 08 2015 03:49 PM

Should that actually be the case then the question posed at the beginning of this thread is both moot and irrelevant.

I was confused and needed a clear answer, after long time not being active in this community. I see it like the most of you and tank said it:

I say freeze the basic lib and leave it avail no new development

This seems to line up best with AHK Basic's development.

But at the same time, I do not want ignore the Basic user. One strength of Basic is, its widely spread out and the fact that the state will not change, make it to a standard. Basic have no experiment status. Thats why I started this thread. And other than new scripts, a collection of standardly needed and used libraries is another story.

No signature.

amnesiac
  • Members
  • 124 posts
  • Last active: May 01 2014 03:04 AM

I would make a download link to the last basic only version, named to "Legacy for AutoHotkey Basic (Sept, 2010)". I should save after a while some states, for the history.

I think it's enough for Basic. I approve you concentrate on AHK_L only in futher. Due to many functions integrated into AHK_l, you may drop some lib functions.

For AHK_L, I expect that ahkstdlib could be integrated (and corresponding document) and simultaneous released some day.

Click to download Chinese resource for AutoHotkey.

Recommended: AutoHotkey_L My code is based on it or similar versions, e.g. AutoHotkey_H.
Together with AutoHotkey, we grow and march forward. No matter how the future will be, this period of days is still epic.

Tuncay <mobile>
  • Guests
  • Last active:
@amnesiac
That is very unlikely to happen in the current form. If a stdlib collection will ever be released with ahk installer, then the documentation of each lib have to be in same form and all libs should work together. And the libs have to be picked very carefully for the future and not decided by one person only.

amnesiac
  • Members
  • 124 posts
  • Last active: May 01 2014 03:04 AM
@Tuncay,

I agree with you. If it is possible (I suppose), the ahkstdlib may need to be standardized, such as systematization and name.

About the unitary form of lib function's document, I maybe assist to arrange it if all libs have detailed document as it is.

Click to download Chinese resource for AutoHotkey.

Recommended: AutoHotkey_L My code is based on it or similar versions, e.g. AutoHotkey_H.
Together with AutoHotkey, we grow and march forward. No matter how the future will be, this period of days is still epic.

fragman
  • Members
  • 1591 posts
It would also need version handling and some kind of #RequireVersion statement in the scripts. Autodownload would be another possibility. I don't think any of this is coming anytime soon, so working with the current mechanisms is probably best.

Tuncay
  • Members
  • 1945 posts
  • Last active: Feb 08 2015 03:49 PM
AutoDownload is dangerous, if the new version breaks compatibility. I speak about the libraries here...

And about the "#RequireVersion statement":
My request long, long time ago... #version directive

No signature.

fragman
  • Members
  • 1591 posts
Autodownload can be dangerous because all kinds of other issues. If anything, I would welcome some sort of package manager that would allow the user full control over the used version. But as I said, I don't think this will happen.

SoLong&Thx4AllTheFish
  • Members
  • 4999 posts
  • Last active:
@fragman: Read <!-- m -->http://www.autohotke...pic.php?t=68675<!-- m -->
(the salt part + fincs etc)

fragman
  • Members
  • 1591 posts
Thanks for linking, I've seen that thread sometime ago though. I see many great projects (IDEs, stdlib systems,...) around here that don't manage to be completed because no standard can be found or because they get canceled.

On an unrelated note, I don't think that IDEs for GUIs in AHK will mature to the point where they are of bigger use, because there are problems in writing GUI code that can be used for multiple same windows at once. These problems (GUI vars, default guis/listviews/handlers) need to be circumvented by rather complex methods which ultimatively falls back on objects or pseudo arrays. As long as the GUIs won't be object-based I don't see a good chance on this front.

MacroMan!
  • Members
  • 604 posts
  • Last active: Mar 20 2012 11:40 AM
If I remember rightly, the download count for _Basic vs_L is 54% for _Basic and 46% for _L for the first quarter of this year.

So I would strongly recommend keeping _Basic support, at least for now.

On the subject of new website/forum etc. At first the site will still be oriented on it's current content. It is planned for the _L docs to be merged (Same command pages, but different sub-headings). The docs for V2 will be separate but all the current links will still point towards the current document pages. Over time V2 will take precedence.

The new site is taking shape, but needs some final touch ups and some background maintenance before it is usable.

It is still undecided what is happening with the Forum. I'm sorry but this really isn't open for discussion (with me) at the moment. Feel free to debate amongst yourselves though.

David
What ever happened, happened.