Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

ahkstdlib Collection - Should I stop the Basic support?

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

Poll: Should I drop the support of AutoHotkey Basic in next updates? (40 member(s) have cast votes)

Should I drop the support of AutoHotkey Basic in next updates?

1. Yes, concentrate on AHK_L only. (26 votes [63.41%])

Percentage of vote: 63.41%

2. No, AHK Basic will be a standard for long time. (15 votes [36.59%])

Percentage of vote: 36.59%

Vote Guests cannot vote
shajul
  • Members
  • 571 posts
  • Last active: Aug 01 2015 03:45 PM

Our community needs some organization and collaboration

+1
If i've seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants

my site | ~shajul | WYSIWYG BBCode Editor

sumon
  • Moderators
  • 1317 posts
  • Last active: Dec 05 2016 10:14 PM

Our community needs some organization and collaboration

+1

+1.

And I think we could use better integration of services to aid this. Or am I thinking something differently than the both of you?

SoLong&Thx4AllTheFish
  • Members
  • 4999 posts
  • Last active:
There was a framework being developed, Tuncay knows as he was part of it, at salt.autohotkey.com, unfortunately derRaphael who I think was the one who started it has "left" ahk so the project stalled.

I think a reasonable alternative would be to use (abuse?) the wiki which could serve as an pre-formatted index for Tuncay library app, e.g. rather than including all the info IN the download, the download is only a small script that would download a wiki page which holds the index with all the meta data.

That way Tuncay can focus on additional functionality if any, and several people can maintain the index just in case Tuncay moves over to the darkside of linux all together ;-)

Edit, to clarify:
- place the current ini in the wiki with some additional fields: e.g. how to download the library/function

changes to script:
- download ini from wiki (via com?)
- add functionaly to download lib/function directly or extract from forumpost

Tuncay
  • Members
  • 1945 posts
  • Last active: Feb 08 2015 03:49 PM
@hugov
I really want to work together with others. But I don`t like one point of your suggested way: Everyone can add or change the entries in the wiki, without any verification. This is a critical point for such a project. Then we loose quality and security and you never know if the data is correct.

We should form a small group of trusted and experienced users, who are willing to work with this project AND takes it seriously. We should talk about which libraries should be added or changed.

There was a framework being developed, Tuncay knows as he was part of it, at salt.autohotkey.com, unfortunately derRaphael who I think was the one who started it has "left" ahk so the project stalled.

Shame on me, I had not time for that project. That day, I had some problems with my computer (which was the last reason to switch to Linux) and I had no Windows on my main machine. Thats why I did not help. They counted on me. :( ... shame on me, really. And It was a bit too complicated and high for me too... I cant tell much details.

just in case Tuncay moves over to the darkside of linux all together Wink

I was on the darkside completly. The reason why I help still is, because I love this community so much and AutoHotkey and want give something useful back from me to you. I am a little bit experienced and if I watch at the Help forum, I cannot resist longer to help. I like to code in AHK.
What I want to say is, you have lost me already. But I came back AFTER you lost me to GNU/Linux OS!

(PSS: I could test on Windows 8 Beta soon i think ... have to look at it ...)

add functionaly to download lib/function directly or extract from forumpost

That is pretty much what I do not want and not like. I would like to have an "closed" download. Do you really want an automated downloader for scripts from the community? What if the script is not available anymore or something is changed in the sense of the download would not work or it contains some destructive code? its too hot for me.

@shajul
I had the same idea how to make a class stdlib compatible. :D Just add a function.

.. and the name of the new library will be FTPv2

... and the winner is the end-user.^^ thank you for your understanding. I really appreciate your co-operation.

@sumon
Ah, I misunderstood again. I was thinking you are talking about a new prefix system for AutoHotkey itself... You mean just a convention of the library developer. Ok. This is good idea. We need such standards. I completly agree with you that c as a prefix is clearly easy to understand and implement.

No signature.

tidbit
  • Administrators
  • 2709 posts
  • Hates playing Janitor
  • Last active: Jan 15 2016 11:37 PM

Then we loose quality and security and you never know if the data is correct.
We should form a small group of trusted and experienced users, who are willing to work with this project AND takes it seriously. We should talk about which libraries should be added or changed.

perhaps a shared AHK.net ftp account would be safer?

the idea of a shared AHK.net account is very simple and attractive.

8)

rawr. be very afraid
*poke*
. Populate the AutoHotkey city. Pointless but somewhat fun. .

Tuncay
  • Members
  • 1945 posts
tidbit, I was thinking of to give the password only to our trusted team members.

No signature.

SoLong&Thx4AllTheFish
  • Members
  • 4999 posts
  • Last active:
sharing an ftp account is nice but difficult to keep track of revisions, something like GIT comes do mind, that way central repository, others can fork it and updates can be merged. (not that I have any clue how it works nor interest to learn git or similar tools, you linux guys have it easy if I understood the 5 second intro to git correctly it is harder on windows)

Tuncay
  • Members
  • 1945 posts
Such a version tracking online repository is nice to have. But this would limit helpers drastically. Lets keep it simple stupid (KISS principle). We basically do not need a version tracking software, as all libraries are independent projects. We just collect them.

No signature.

SoLong&Thx4AllTheFish
  • Members
  • 4999 posts
  • Last active:
Just to clarify: the git would hold the metadata (like in the ini suggestion above) and possibly a few (modified) libraries not much else which would be used to generate/update your app ready for download, as far as I understood it salt would have been something like that (one app downloading info from central repository + option to install). anyway enough from me about this.

amnesiac
  • Members
  • 124 posts
  • Last active: May 01 2014 03:04 AM

sharing an ftp account is nice but difficult to keep track of revisions...

I pefer to use SVN such as GIT or Google Code, and I think it may be much better and convenient for cooperation. Whether autohotkey.net support SVN? See also: Sparrow wiki, and please note the svn link in it.

Tuncay
  • Members
  • 1945 posts
I dropped the work. If someone want to take it over, feel free to do it in the way you like. Besides the downloadable archive, there is no other files.

No signature.

fincs
  • Moderators
  • 1662 posts
  • Last active:

I pefer to use SVN such as GIT or Google Code

Git is not a SVN implementation (you probably meant VCS). Git is way superior to SVN, which is itself another VCS. Google Code does use SVN.

• Guests
  • Last active:

Google Code does use SVN.

Or GIT (as of last week or so)

fincs
  • Moderators
  • 1662 posts
  • Last active:

Or Git (as of last week or so)

Oh, that's wonderful!

amnesiac
  • Members
  • 124 posts
  • Last active: May 01 2014 03:04 AM

I pefer to use SVN such as GIT or Google Code

Git is not a SVN implementation (you probably meant VCS). Git is way superior to SVN, which is itself another VCS. Google Code does use SVN.

Thank you for pointing my error out. Yes, what I meant is VCS.

Click to download Chinese resource for AutoHotkey.

Recommended: AutoHotkey_L My code is based on it or similar versions, e.g. AutoHotkey_H.
Together with AutoHotkey, we grow and march forward. No matter how the future will be, this period of days is still epic.