Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

GUI ideas

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic
deguix
  • Members
  • 87 posts
  • Last active: Jun 17 2014 05:18 AM

Also, for control sizing, I was thinking that automatic height would be an option for static text labels. In this example, since a width is specified as w100, the height will be automatically calculated based on how much text there is and how many times it starts a new line (based on wrapping and linefeeds (`n) in the text)

This should be optional, but not required. In the future, when you make support for colors on the controls, you'll see that a program could be better looking by coloring the background of some static controls.

Maybe the above should also be done for buttons and checkboxes.

I know it's a good feature, but sometimes we might want to make the buttons to occupy the entire dialog... :)

You could add an option for entering special flags for controls, like the indeterminated (grayed) state of a checkbox, multi or extended selection of items in a listbox, images for normal buttons, and more... However, do the basic GUI first, then you add features like this.

I didn't want to spend too much time initially on layout features. For example, the concept of docking a group of controls to the bottom or right sides of a window might be deferred until a later release. So might some kind of dynamic re-positioning that occurs when the user resizes the window.

Yep, this is the job for the developer to do.

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
That's good info, thanks. I do plan to support the styles you mentioned. In addition, auto-calculating the control's height would only be done if it wasn't specified, so that should be flexible enough.

Rajat
  • Members
  • 1904 posts
  • Last active: Jul 17 2015 07:45 AM
when can we have access to first preview of these features Chris?

MIA

CleanNews.in : Bite sized latest news headlines from India with zero bloat

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
I'll try to get a test version out in a couple of days. Any testing and feedback you or others have time for might help accelerate the release.

Atomhrt
  • Members
  • 124 posts
  • Last active: Nov 13 2006 09:18 PM

I'll try to get a test version out in a couple of days. Any testing and feedback you or others have time for might help accelerate the release.

Cool, I could help with that.

Any thoughts as to how big autohotkey might get with the gui stuff in it? Are you using Visual C++ or something else?
I am he of whom he speaks!

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
It's all just C++ with basic API calls. There's no MFC or other "bloating" things in the code, so I don't expect it to get larger by more than 10K due to the GUI features.

Rajat
  • Members
  • 1904 posts

I don't expect it to get larger by more than 10K due to the GUI features.

icing on the cake!

Any testing and feedback you or others have time for might help accelerate the release.

sure!

MIA

beardboy
  • Members
  • 443 posts
  • Last active: May 27 2017 08:41 AM
I'm always availabe for NT, 2000, and XP testing.

thanks,
beardboy

Rajat
  • Members
  • 1904 posts
It occurred to me that instead of well defined places for every parameter of GUI controls, it'd be easier and more future-proof to make it like progress cmd's flexible params.

for example instead of a cast in stone cmd like 'URLDownloadToFile, URL, Filename'
it'd be better to have it like this:
GUIcontrol, Button, MyButton, x30 y40 Font-Tahoma Color-003300
(omitted H and W as you'll support automatic formatting based on text)
Font and Color etc. can be ofcourse abbreviated.

Also directly supporting style and exStyle ($WS_EX_APPWINDOW or $WS_EX_ACCEPTFILES etc.) is I think a must, as one of my old au3 scripts heavily relies on these and I know how important they are for a proper interface.

thanx.

MIA

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:

instead of well defined places for every parameter of GUI controls, it'd be easier and more future-proof to make it like progress cmd's flexible params

Yes, my current syntax for the command is:
gui, add, control-type, options, text
... where "options" contains a flexible list as you described. I think the font will be done as a separate command. This is because some font names contain spaces and because it might be better since you only have to specify the font once to affect all text and controls from that point onward (similar to HTML).

Also directly supporting style and exStyle ($WS_EX_APPWINDOW or $WS_EX_ACCEPTFILES etc.) is I think a must, as one of my old au3 scripts heavily relies on these and I know how important they are for a proper interface.

Although these might not make it into this upcoming version, I will plan them for sometime soon afterward. Thanks.

Rajat
  • Members
  • 1904 posts
just for some clarification, i never used $WS_EX_APPWINDOW or $WS_EX_ACCEPTFILES as they are, because it reqd me to FileInclude a definition file making clear what these are.

I just put the actual codes for these like this:
GUISetControl ( "edit", $TEXT, 3, 5, 284, 160, 0x50200104, 0x00000200)

MIA

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
Good point. I'm going to try to make most frequently used styles into option letters. If I discover there are too many styles and controls to realistically include options for, I'll probably add a method to apply "extra styles" to a window or its controls as they were in your example.

Rajat
  • Members
  • 1904 posts

I'm going to try to make most frequently used styles into option letters.

IMHO it'd be quite cumbersome and confuse newbies. The best way, as i see it, would be a page showing various styles and exstyles and their codes (maybe with some description) in the help file linked to GUI cmd.

If I discover there are too many styles and controls to realistically include options for, I'll probably add a method to apply "extra styles" to a window or its controls as they were in your example.

i'm afraid there're quite many!

MIA

Chris
  • Administrators
  • 10727 posts
  • Last active:
I know there are a lot of styles, but it was my impression that 80% or more of them either do not apply to a particular control, or are so rarely used that mention of it could be made on a secondary page or omitted entirely. Since I don't know this for sure, anyone with time on their hands is welcome to study the styles and rank them according to expected frequency of use, perhaps proposing option letters for the most popular of them.

Option letters might not be all that easy to remember, but they're definitely easier to remember than style numbers. But as you said, those styles could be #included as pre-defined variables.

Rajat
  • Members
  • 1904 posts
Though i don't know quite much about the programming aspect of this but i think au3 just takes the style code and passes it on to windows APIs or whatever, so even if its a style unthought of while programming the feature, one could just get the info about it from MSDN and use it. its quite open-ended this way and suits varied needs. that's what custom interface is all about.
ofcourse u'd know better in this regard.

MIA