Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate

I'm moving to Canada

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic
Mickers
  • Members
  • 1239 posts
  • Last active: Sep 25 2015 03:03 PM
Last time I checked the fact that we used a nuke on the Japanese ended the war. No one stepped up after that.

wtg
  • Members
  • 251 posts
  • Last active: Dec 19 2012 03:54 PM

The goal of the bombing was to demoralize civilians to change their value (support) of their governments, Hitler and Tito, etc, to lessen the length of the war, but instead increased their support of their governments, which lengthened the war.

Any evidence or a link to a source that supports that? Are you suggesting that if the Allies had not fought back Germany would have ended the war sooner? Perhaps if the Allies had surrendered, but otherwise that's ridiculous.

Early on many Germans supported the war for a variety of reasons, not the least of which was they were lied to by their government and believed they were defending themselves from Poland and their French and English allies who declared war on Germany. <!-- m -->http://www.lewrockwe... ... er132.html<!-- m --> However when it it was clear Germany had no chance of success - in large part due to the destruction of military manufacturing facilities, the cut-off of foreign trade and supplies, and the high price the nation was paying at home - several of Hitlers generals tried to assassinate him so they could end the war sooner. The bombings were *highly* successful in demoralizing Germany, it's military and shortening the war.

My point being, humans, (whether criminals or otherwise), as a result of evolution, naturally tend to fight back, when faced with confrontation, instead of accepting other peoples values.

Which is exactly why some people fight back by throwing the criminals who attack them in jail.... it's quite natural and the criminals should expect it :)

nimda
  • Members
  • 4368 posts
  • Last active: Aug 09 2015 02:36 AM
Whoa whoa. We're talking about history, not philosophy now. This means that there is a "right answer."

When the U.S. dropped two atomic bombs on Japan, they surrendered. The war ended. It did not make the Japanese stronger or more supportive of their goverment. In fact, the Japanese emporer admitted that he was mortal. One more time: the war >ended< shortly after the second A-bomb.

• Guests
  • Last active:
It would be a wrong to insinuate that Japan surrendered solely because of the A-Bombs, however... ;)

nimda
  • Members
  • 4368 posts

It would be a wrong to insinuate that Japan surrendered solely because of the A-Bombs, however... ;)

I suppose it is true. The strongest statement I will make is that the bombings greatly influenced Japan's decision to surrender. There is in fact quite the debate over the bombings' influences.

fdsa
  • Guests
  • Last active:

I also think many sexual offenses would dissipate (not for the most perverse and disturbed individuals though) if prostitution were legalized

Sexual crimes have a lot more to do with power and subjugation than sex. If you look at parts of the world that have legalized prostitution or where it's mostly ignored anyway, say Thailand and other parts of southeast Asia, sex crimes involving children are rampant. In fact the permitted prostitution becomes a cover for victimizing children.

On can argue whether prostitution should be legal on a number of grounds, but I don't think we should expect it to reduce non-prostitution related crimes.

Violent rape has a lot more to do with power and subjugation than sex. Most sex crimes are lesser than that though. And I think it's not a good example to compare America to a third world country like Thailand, where you basically have two options for employment, farming and sex. Also their government officials are wholly corrupt *and not in the way that like, a congressman backs interests that support his reelection campaign and his party, which is just the result of a shitty system that needs updated*, but more in the way of police officials will stop wealthy looking people and foreigners randomly for stupid things to get bribes.

ip0t
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Japan didn't surrender, and it wasn't a war.

nimda
  • Members
  • 4368 posts

Japan didn't surrender, and it wasn't a war.

TROLOLOL WUT?

ip0t
  • Guests
  • Last active:

it's not a good example to compare America to a third world country like Thailand,

country simply refers to people of that nation and yes they can be compared. good persons can be born anywhere. Crime has nothing to do with country and it totally depends on ethics of individual. terrorists don't belong to any country or religion

• Guests
  • Last active:

it's not a good example to compare America to a third world country like Thailand,

country simply refers to people of that nation and yes they can be compared. good persons can be born anywhere. Crime has nothing to do with country and it totally depends on ethics of individual. terrorists don't belong to any country or religion

What time is your bedtime, please?

wtg
  • Members
  • 251 posts
  • Last active: Dec 19 2012 03:54 PM

Violent rape has a lot more to do with power and subjugation than sex. Most sex crimes are lesser than that though.

When you say most sex crimes are lesser, to which are you referring that aren't related to prostitution? What non-prostitution-related sex crimes do you speculate would be lessened if prostitution were legal? I don't mean that in a confrontational sort of way - I really can't think of any.

The internet seems divided: <!-- m -->http://prostitution.... ... nID=000122<!-- m -->

"A study conducted in Queensland... show[ed] a 149% increase in the rate of rape when legal brothels were closed in 1959, while other offenses against the person by males increased only 49%."

"Three cities which allowed open prostitution experienced a decline in rape after prostitution was again prohibited. Rapists include men who do not patronize prostitutes. Rapists include men who have 'girlfriends,' or are married, or living with women. Statistical studies of reported rapes show that the majority of rapists are well below the age of males who most frequently use prostitutes. Finally, in Vietnam, brothels for the American military were officially sanctioned and incorporated into the base-camp recreation areas and yet G.I. rape and sexual abuse of Vietnamese women and girls is one of the most atrocious chapters of violence in U.S. history."

"Legal sex businesses provide locations where sexual harassment, sexual exploitation, and violence against women are perpetrated with impunity. State-sponsored prostitution endangers all women and children in that acts of sexual predation are normalized..."

The EU is finding that human trafficking and forced prostitution is increased in countries like Germany and Britain where prostitution is legal. <!-- m -->http://www.humantraf...org/updates/773<!-- m -->

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: May 02 2019 09:16 PM
People cannot be rehabilitated certain individuals can be convinced to suppress their natural tendencies in a sense of personal economy. they trade what they want in return for giving up their urges. Most cannot control themselves. the prison system in the united states is not designed to rehabilitate but to confine for profit. If it were designed for rehabilitation there would not be sentences but defined stages to freedom that each convice must pass to freedom without regard to any predefined term. in almost all cases those in prison presented with the same circumstances would comit the exact acts that landed them in prison.
Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

dmg
  • Members
  • 2395 posts
  • Last active: Nov 04 2015 06:46 AM
@tank
I find your idea of a tiered achievement rehabilitation system intriguing. It sounds similar to a 12 step program of sorts.

in almost all cases those in prison presented with the same circumstances would comit the exact acts that landed them in prison.

I am at least skeptical of this. I have known several people who were 'guests' of the prison system, and there are a LOT of pathetic and terrified people locked up here in the U.S. While I agree that human nature does not change, I also know that behavior is influenced by experience. There are a great many prisoners who got into trouble not because they were malicious, but because they were stupid. And many of these would do just about anything to avoid getting entangled in the legal system again.
"My dear Mr Gyrth, I am never more serious than when I am joking."
~Albert Campion

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Website | Demo scripts | Blog | External contact

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: May 02 2019 09:16 PM
except you cant fix stupid
Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

dmg
  • Members
  • 2395 posts
  • Last active: Nov 04 2015 06:46 AM

except you cant fix stupid

I concede the point. :D
"My dear Mr Gyrth, I am never more serious than when I am joking."
~Albert Campion

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Website | Demo scripts | Blog | External contact