Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate

I'm moving to Canada

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic
Mickers
  • Members
  • 1239 posts
  • Last active: Sep 25 2015 03:03 PM
At the private christian college I went to if you didn't follow the rules they set properly, for instance not smoking pot or w/e, they'd send you to the local church to sit in on the rehabilitation classes where people who couldn't control themselves. As rediculous as that may or may not sound to you I actually learned something. The people who were there by choice actually enjoyed being there and those that were forced were just looking for someone to hook them up.
You can't force someone to change their nature they have to WANT it.
I also noticed that those that came by choice didn't really need to be there and the rest probably did but they were just wasting their time.
Most thought it was ridiculous that I was there in the first place.

This point has probably already been made but I thought I'd add my two cents.

dmg
  • Members
  • 2395 posts
  • Last active: Nov 04 2015 06:46 AM
Personally I would say that was worth at least a nickel. Thanks Mickers. :D
"My dear Mr Gyrth, I am never more serious than when I am joking."
~Albert Campion

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Website | Demo scripts | Blog | External contact

LarryC
  • Guests
  • Last active:
wtg asked:

>>>Any evidence or a link to a source that supports that? <<

The Germans and Japanese reacted the same way to being punished, bombed, intimidated as Americans did when Pearl Harbor was bombed. Japanese hoped that that would also lead to short quick war. Instead it motivated Americans, strengthened them, made the war longer. You need a link to that? People, criminals or not, react the same. Why would they be any different?

VxE
  • Moderators
  • 3622 posts
  • Last active: Dec 24 2015 02:21 AM

People, criminals or not, react the same.

FALSE

You need a link to that?

YES

When you start making wild assumptions and ask others to accept them as truth without any kind of factual support, then you are walking on thin water indeed.

wtg
  • Members
  • 251 posts
  • Last active: Dec 19 2012 03:54 PM

The Germans and Japanese reacted the same way to being punished, bombed, intimidated as Americans did when Pearl Harbor was bombed. Japanese hoped that that would also lead to short quick war. Instead it motivated Americans, strengthened them, made the war longer. You need a link to that? People, criminals or not, react the same.

I don't know why you keep trying to assert that the German and Japanese response to being bombed during WWII is analogous to how a criminal responds to punishment. They aren't the same at all, but since you don't agree that a hostile response to either is appropriate you couldn't have picked a worse example to make your point, since in fact the hostile reaction to Germany and Japan resulted in the exact outcome desired of our incarcerated criminals. Both countries gave up arms and are in fact now our allies. If someone were to agree they are analogous, yours would make the perfect argument for why harsh punishment of criminals is effective.

You need a link to that?

Yes, if you're still asserting that the Allies military response to Germany's and Japan's aggression in fact lengthened the war. I'm curious how you believe the nations involved should have responded, and how it would have shortened the war.

People, criminals or not, react the same. Why would they be any different?

I still don't understand why you believe people and their national response to war, are the same as a criminal's reaction to punishment.

LarryC
  • Guests
  • Last active:

Yes, if you're still asserting that the Allies military response to Germany's and Japan's aggression in fact lengthened the war

I think you may have misread my post.
I was saying civilian bombing, (not to be confused with tactical bombing, oil refineries, etc) may have lengthened the war. Using bombs on tactical targets was productive, using bombs on civilians as a method to change their values, was counter productive, especially when you factor in the lives of sacrificing of airmen, planes, other resources.
Romans tried to change Christians values, via crusificition, worked well for them.

analogous to how a criminal responds to punishment

Criminals are people,come from the same civilian pool.
Your requested links, wrt:

When you start making wild assumptions and ask others to accept them as truth without any kind of factual support, then you are walking on thin water indeed.

http://en.wikipedia.... ... rld_War_II
Plse find way down the fol:

Although designed to "break the enemy's will", the opposite often happened. The British did not crumble under the German Blitz and other air raids early in the war. British workers continued to work throughout the war and food and other basic supplies were available throughout

Another link:
http://www.parl.gc.c... ... un07-e.htm
Plse find the fol:

The value and morality of the strategic bomber offensive against Germany remains bitterly contested. Bomber Command's aim was to crush civilian morale and force Germany to surrender by destroying its cities and industrial installations. Although Bomber Command and American attacks left 600,000 Germans dead, and more than five million homeless, the raids resulted in only small reductions in German war production until late in the war.

and this refers to both civilian and tactical bombing.
But in the end, I am inclined to think you thought I was talking about aerial bombing, and I was not clear enough to highlight or capitalize "Civilian Bombing" is a term which means solely the killing/punishing of people only, as a tactic.
It just makes sense to bomb a woman's ammunition factory instead bombing her home which just makes her want to make her work harder to more ammunition the next day.