Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

AutoHotkey_L v1.1.00.01

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic
Lexikos
  • Administrators
  • 9844 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active:
1.1.00.01 (July 17)

Fixed: Modifier keys weren't auto-released when sending special chars. Posted Image/Posted Image
Fixed: Scancode/modifier-key mapping conflicts such as sc1xx vs ^sc0xx. Posted Image
Fixed: $ and #UseHook had no effect if used only on the second or subsequent instance(s) of a hotkey. Posted Image
Fixed: Potential crash when returning a value from a __Delete meta-function. Posted Image
Fixed: "Uninitialized variable" warnings were triggered by the debugger. Posted Image

Changed: base.Method() no longer triggers a default meta-function or a warning. Posted Image
Changed: Gui +(Ex)Style no longer hides/shows the Gui. Posted Image
Changed the debugger to report type="undefined" for uninitialized variables.

Added check to avoid incorrectly sending keystrokes for characters which actually require the "hankoku" key. Posted Image
Added support for integers as class variable names. Posted Image
Added "Static" keyword for declaring class variables. (See below)

Downloads (etc.)Use of the var keyword in class definitions to declare static class variables should be avoided, as a future version (probably the next release) will repurpose it for declaring instance variables. There are some cases where behaviour won't be adversely affected; in other cases, scripts should be updated to use the static keyword.

fragman
  • Members
  • 1591 posts
  • Last active: Nov 12 2012 08:51 PM
Very nice! I look forward very much to instance variables.

It's also good to see that the hide/show quirk was fixed. Were the issues that Chris described in the source an artifact from older windows versions or did you discover a better way to avoid them?

jethrow
  • Moderators
  • 2854 posts
  • Last active: May 17 2017 01:57 AM
Thanks for the release :)

... a future version (probably the next release) will repurpose [the var keyword] for declaring instance variables.

Interesting - would there be any way to access this instance variable via a method defined in the class - other than accessing the class object by name? (see here)

fragman
  • Members
  • 1591 posts
I assume that the instance variable would be a simple key in the object that gets created by using the new operator, much like defining the variable in its constructor.

xazax
  • Members
  • 16 posts
  • Last active: Sep 11 2011 12:25 PM
Thanks for this release! :)

infogulch
  • Moderators
  • 717 posts
  • Last active: Jul 31 2014 08:27 PM
Awesome! Any chance the applicable changes are merged into ahk v2 alpha?

Use of the var keyword in class definitions to declare static class variables should be avoided, as a future version (probably the next release) will repurpose it for declaring instance variables. There are some cases where behaviour won't be adversely affected; in other cases, scripts should be updated to use the static keyword.

Hmm, along these lines, why don't you just take out "var" as a keyword completely, and use "local" for declaring instance variables along with what you're planning already with "static" as declaring class variables?

No need to add unnecessary keywords. KISS :)

fragman
  • Members
  • 1591 posts
I'm not sure if this was discussed before (I think I vaguely remember), but is var needed at all?

Lexikos
  • Administrators
  • 9844 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active:

I assume that the instance variable would be a simple key in the object that gets created by using the new operator, much like defining the variable in its constructor.

Right. However, it will necessarily be separate from __New so that the initializers can be executed in order of base class -> derived class, and before __New is called.

Any chance the applicable changes are merged into ahk v2 alpha?

It was a couple days ago, according to the list of changes in the v2 thread...

Hmm, along these lines, why don't you just take out "var" as a keyword completely, and use "local" for declaring instance variables along with what you're planning already with "static" as declaring class variables?

Local variables are scoped to a function. Instance variables are not. A keyword like "set" or "init" might be more accurate (and less misleading), but not as nice. All instance and class "variables" still need to be qualified with the object (e.g. this.var), so differentiating them from local variables might be important.

... but is var needed at all?

In v1.1.00.01 it's the same as "static", but kept so that existing scripts don't need to be changed (yet). Instance variables (which aren't implemented yet) are needed in some cases, particularly those involving objects - e.g. static arr := [1,2,3] creates a shared object whereas var arr := [1,2,3] creates one for each instance of the class.

Frankie
  • Members
  • 2930 posts
  • Last active: Feb 05 2015 02:49 PM

Local variables are scoped to a function. Instance variables are not. A keyword like "set" or "init" might be more accurate (and less misleading), but not as nice. All instance and class "variables" still need to be qualified with the object (e.g. this.var), so differentiating them from local variables might be important.

Why use keyword at all? I can understand that static variables need to be distinguished from instance variables, so that should have a keyword. I don't however understand why this can't work.
class A
{
   InstanceVar := "Value" ; Can this mean anything other than the expected?
}

aboutscriptappsscripts
Request Video Tutorials Here or View Current Tutorials on YouTube
Any code ⇈ above ⇈ requires AutoHotkey_L to run

Lexikos-nli
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Symmetry/consistency.

guest3456
  • Members
  • 1704 posts
  • Last active: Nov 19 2015 11:58 AM

Why use keyword at all? I can understand that static variables need to be distinguished from instance variables, so that should have a keyword. I don't however understand why this can't work.

class A
{
   InstanceVar := "Value" ; Can this mean anything other than the expected?
}

i agree. this is all getting confusing for me, but i guess we'll see what the final thing looks like in the next release, and then maybe it'll make more sense

fragman
  • Members
  • 1591 posts

Symmetry/consistency.

Why not add public/private keywords then? Then you could get rid of the "var" keyword and still provide functionality with the keyword :)

jaco0646
  • Moderators
  • 3165 posts
  • Last active: Apr 01 2014 01:46 AM
+1

Keywords are nice for readability, but "var" is one of the most common names for all generic variables and doesn't convey any special meaning. Keywords should be descriptive. On the other hand, memorizing keywords is another barrier to entry that makes it harder for new users to learn a language. Every keyword should produce a tangible benefit, i.e. provide some utility that cannot easily be gained in another way. On that note, I suggest an eventual page in the Help file dedicated to keywords (with a table similar to the one dedicated to escape characters).

Lexikos
  • Administrators
  • 9844 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active:

Why not add public/private keywords then?

Access modifiers are irrelevant. Anything with a reference to the class/object can access the "variable", and anything without a reference cannot. Access controls could not be implemented at load-time without typed variables, and could not be implemented at run-time without reducing performance (and providing very little benefit for that matter).

Lexikos
  • Administrators
  • 9844 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active:
I've decided to remove the "var" keyword entirely in the next release. Instance variables will be declared/initialized by simply writing Name := Expression in the class definition, outside any method definitions. However, note that Name is the only context in which you will be able to refer to an instance variable without specifying the object (like this.Name). Expression can refer to this, but any other variable reference will be global.

Thanks for the feedback.