Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

web browsers

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic
chrisj91
  • Members
  • 398 posts
  • Last active: Jun 03 2015 09:03 AM

Also, I have never seen more extreme fanboys then the ones that use FF. case and point, the GIF at the top of the page and chrisj's signature.

It ain't just FF users, I have come across many other logos that "eat|beat|smash|attack|bash|push|flame|taunt|kill|harm", such as this for example . . .

In my speed comparison, FF4 and FF5 (basically same, just a security update I think) is quicker than IE9 and on par with Chrome . . .

I use Opera on my mobile and that is very quick . . .

The only add-on I ever use is a video downloader/convertor, I don't like add-ons because as you said, they are usually pointless and will probably start slowing down your browser . . .

I ain't extreme, if people prefer other browsers then I ain't gonna kick them for it, as I said earlier, it's down to personal preference . . .

As for my sig, I'm entitled to use it if I want and I use it because, yes, I do like FF believe it or not and I liked it because it was long and thin which is a nice separation mark for a sig . . .
Just as anyone else is entitled to use a sig of their favourite browser, software, OS, game, console etc etc . . .
Also, the gif at the top is a generic one and I've seen it used with PS3 vs Xbox . . .
But I do agree with you that there are 'fanboys' who are really extreme, but that's the same with a lot of things, such as 'PS3 vs 360', 'Windows vs Mac' etc etc . . .

I used to use Chrome, but don't like using it anymore, I don't know why, probably just got out of it when them old websites wouldn't work on it . . .

My order is: FF5, IE9 and then Chrome . . .

PS, what is Opera like on your desktop/laptop . . . ??
As I said, I have only used it with my mobile and it does seem good but never really got round to trying it on my computer . . .
If it's worth a download I will, but I don't want to end up with four browsers then if it isn't really up to much . . .
I end up just filling my computer with too many programs and then spend ages uninstalling all the things I don't use so I don't turn my computer into a snail :roll: . . .
Posted Image

Hope this helps / Thanks <-------- (Delete Appropriate)

Chris

tidbit
  • Administrators
  • 2709 posts
  • Hates playing Janitor
  • Last active: Jan 15 2016 11:37 PM
you're image links to Posted Image :lol: such an evil logo.

as for opera (11.50):
- often said to be the fastest browser. many tests showing it as the fastest or tied or close to tied for fastest.
- extremely customizable interface.
- loads fast
- IMO, since 10.00+, it's been going downhill. seems to be a lot buggier the 9.x series.
- It doesn't have the best site compatibility. devs seem to ignore it :(
- 100/100 pixel perfect on acid3
- it has most of the popular FF plugins built-in to the browser. that means it won't break on an update :D
- it's ad-blocking feature and extensions are pretty crappy. but I don't care. I don't need ad-blockers.
- many video downloader extensions. or you could use a download manager like Orbit or Flashget. then can grab videos.

rawr. be very afraid
*poke*
. Populate the AutoHotkey city. Pointless but somewhat fun. .

Elesar
  • Members
  • 696 posts
  • Last active: May 08 2015 09:51 PM

- it's ad-blocking feature and extensions are pretty crappy. but I don't care. I don't need ad-blockers.

I just have a fairly comprehensive Hosts file...can't get to it now as I'm at work and don't have it updated on this system, but its in the range of 2k lines of unwanted ad serve sites and such :D

My file is based off of this one which is then altered by Spybot S&D, then some manual additions.

Frankie
  • Members
  • 2930 posts
  • Last active: Feb 05 2015 02:49 PM
I'll admit I don't test sites on opera. It's like designing for Netscape... not enough people use it.
aboutscriptappsscripts
Request Video Tutorials Here or View Current Tutorials on YouTube
Any code ⇈ above ⇈ requires AutoHotkey_L to run

nimda-nli
  • Guests
  • Last active:
I do have some unique insight here:
Bolt > Opera Mini 4.3 in features, Opera Mini > Bolt in speed.

Argue! :lol:

chrisj91
  • Members
  • 398 posts

you're image links to Posted Image :lol: such an evil logo.

Haha, damn lol :lol: . . .

This is what I intended to show . . .
Posted Image

Anyways, I must admit that the points you have made about Opera have made me very tempted to try it, I can feel a download coming on shortly . . .
I was certainly impressed by it on my phone :D . . .

Who knows, it may become my new favourite and I'll have to update my sig :wink: . . .

I'll see how I like it, thanks for taking your time to describe all the points about it :D . . . !!
They have certainly swayed me to try it . . . !!
Posted Image

Chris

Frankie
  • Members
  • 2930 posts
  • Last active: Feb 05 2015 02:49 PM
Nice pic... it's my new background!
<!-- m -->http://img24.imagesh...3/img0001bk.jpg<!-- m -->

aboutscriptappsscripts
Request Video Tutorials Here or View Current Tutorials on YouTube
Any code ⇈ above ⇈ requires AutoHotkey_L to run

tidbit
  • Administrators
  • 2709 posts
  • Hates playing Janitor
hmmm. that linux image.
the way I see it:
linux has the straw. which means linux is sucking. which means linux sucks.
what is it sucking? windows. it's trying to get the good stuff (juice) out of the (windows) box and in to the sucking linux machine to make it sweeter.

which means, imo, the image is insulting linux :p

rawr. be very afraid
*poke*

chrisj91
  • Members
  • 398 posts

Nice pic... it's my new background!
<!-- m -->http://img24.imagesh...3/img0001bk.jpg<!-- m -->

Haha, my pleasure lol :D . . .

which means, imo, the image is insulting linux :p

I have always thought that, it is obviously made to look like it's insulting Windows but if you think about it logically like that, then as you say, Linux is the one 'sucking', technically speaking . . .
Probably quite a failed attempt to insult Windows :roll: . . .

Which is another topic . . .

I don't understand why so many people are so quick to slag off Windows, yet I bet if you were to ask half of them, and get an honest answer from them, they're using Windows . . .
It's like, why not switch if you don't like it . . . ??
There must be a reason why it dominates the business computers more or less worldwide :roll: . . .
Sure there are things that may annoy us and tick us right off at times, but it's usually minor things, nothing major, and multiply that by it's millions, if not billions of users and you're gonna find it damn hard to please everyone . . .
It's always gonna be Windows for me I'm afraid, I don't really fancy trying out a Mac due to the fact that some (not all, but some) programs aren't designed to run, and therefore probably won't, on a Mac . . .
I would like to try learn Linux sometime for it's customiz-ability, but don't think I have the time at the mo to do so . . .
And any other OS that I haven't heard of, well, I probably will never touch seen as I haven't heard of them :p . . .
Posted Image

Chris

Elesar
  • Members
  • 696 posts
  • Last active: May 08 2015 09:51 PM
As far as OSs go...

At work, I use Windows because I have to run QuickBooks accounting software. I also use AHK to write scripts to make my job and others easier.

At home, I use Windows on my main system as I play lots of games, so there is really no option there.

I also run a Linux box as my home server. This is used for file shares, print serving, hosting sample web pages that I build up from time to time, and it also hosts my MineCraft server.

Then I also have two laptops...one Windows and one Linux. The windows system is for school work, and the Linux system is for general use.

All windows systems are running Windows 7 and all Linux systems are running Ubuntu 11. x64 variants installed where applicable.

• Guests
  • Last active:
I find it so depressing when I see people using IE...like on YouTube videos...or on commercials...or on the News ("go visit our website at examplenewssite.com")...every time I see a browser anywhere I look closely to try to see what one it is. Sometimes, I'm happily surprised if it's Firefox! Mostly, I'm depressed when it's IE 6 or 7 (or any other version of IE). I feel sorry for the people that use IE, just because they don't know any better ("what's a browser?")...I am :shock: HORRIFIED :shock: when people CHOOSE to use IE (one question: "why?")...

I haven't used Google Chrome, but my only real problem with it is the Google Tracking (RLZ). Yes, I've heard about Chromium (are there any binaries or just source?) & SRWare Iron...but haven't tried those either.

Firefox is the only real "browser". Netscape is/was a browser (version 4 at least, not versions 6, 8 or 9), but basically Netscape is the same as Firefox. I even use the FOXSCAPE theme on Firefox, so I can get my "Netscape 4" back.

Google Chrome might not be too bad, if it weren't for the tracking, so it's kinda a "browser".

IE is just shit (& not "the shit", just "shit"). Microsoft couldn't FAIL more at making a browser if the tried. ActiveX is just a joke..."lets make it easier to install viruses".

Oh & Safari & Opera (& anything else) don't count a "browser".

chrisj91
  • Members
  • 398 posts
I wouldn't go as far as 'horrified' if someone is using IE, or any other browser for that matter, it ain't exactly a crime, and besides, it is like, the default browser that comes with Windows and a lot of home users, and probably even business users for that matter, won't even care what they're using, so long as they can get internet access . . .

I wouldn't let other people's choices depress you, it's their own preference at the end of the day . . .
Now, don't get me wrong, I do like FF and personally, for me it's the best for my usage, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it IS the best browser, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and to their own browser . . .

Just my two cents . . .
Posted Image

Chris

tidbit
  • Administrators
  • 2709 posts
  • Hates playing Janitor
see, I would consider the Guest above an extremist fanboy.

how are opera, safari, IE not a browser?
because they don't got a sh!tload of mostly pointless addons? not opensourse? don't got fanboys chanting "<browser> IZ BeSTEST BROWZR!"?

without IE, you would have to go buy a browser to go download another one. also, IE has pretty good compat. with pretty much every site I have visited. and it has COM support. that is a GREAT feature. and as mentioned above, IE was faster then FF for me. also as mentioned above, lots of FFFBs (firefox fanboys) still think IE is at version 6. you yourself acknowledged 6 and 7. not 8 or 9. so it looks like to me you are comparing an OLD browser to a MEODERN browser.. also, IE browses the internet. which is what a browser does.

Opera is fast. has many many great things built-in (such as: guestures, torrent downloader, webdev tools, spell checker, speed dial, I could go on). great customization. also, Opera browses the internet. which is what a browser does.

Safari is fast. but i haven't used it in years. so I'm not going to argue about it. also, Safari browses the internet. which is what a browser does.

Netscape, I loved this browser.

rawr. be very afraid
*poke*

TheDewd
  • Members
  • 842 posts
  • Last active: Jun 10 2016 06:55 PM
Ah... What have I done? I started a browser war. :twisted:

nimda nli
  • Guests
  • Last active:
The psychology behind this is quite simply: people are resistant to change.
browsers
OS's
religion
Cell phones (droid v iPhone)
hell, IRC Clients :roll:

I don't want to hear arguing unless you've been to the other side.
I've used FF, Chrome, IE9, but not Opera. will be trying opera.
I've used Macs (for long enogh to get used to them)
-skipping religion for fear of life-
I've tried iphones and droids
and used Pidgin, XChat, and PChat.

If you haven't tried the change (and stuck with it long enough to get used to it - this is important) then don't argue.