Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

web browsers

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic
Elesar
  • Members
  • 696 posts
  • Last active: May 08 2015 09:51 PM
I agree with nimda

I have tried (extensively) most mainstream browsers, All three major OSs (Mac, Linux variants and Windows), I'll also skip out on religious debates, iOS/Android, and a handful of IRC clients.

Whenever I do comment on threads such as this, I always try to state my personal experience with the options relevant to the topic.

What use is attempting to support your opinion if all you do is show your ignorance on the subject? (Not pointed at anybody, just a general observation)

It all really comes down to what you feel is best for you. But, if you feel the need to recruit/convert others, do so by using personal experience with real examples that would also be relevant to your target audience.

• Guests
  • Last active:

see, I would consider the Guest above an extremist fanboy.

...it seems you see anyone who even mentions or likes Firefox as a "bad person" or "extremist fanboy"...we love our Fox! But I don't think I'm an "extremist fanboy". Just the same: are you an "extremist fanboy" for IE? How would you recommend that I not appear to be an "extremist fanboy" to you?

how are opera, safari, IE not a browser?

...yes, not open source is one problem. They are too crappy to deserve the term "browser", perhaps they are simply "web viewing applications"? But IE is just icky, insecure, trash.

mostly pointless addons?

...a lot of Firefox's Addons are absolutely necessary. Yes, if you tried Firefox without Addons, it probably does suck. I need at least 5-10 Addons to feel comfortable.

without IE, you would have to go buy a browser

...Firefox has always been free...so what do you mean?

IE has pretty good compat.

...IE does NOT have any "compat"...what happened was: IE was created & placed on all Windows computers, many people & businesses used it, cuz it was there, so THEY made their Websites WORK in IE (not IE being compatible with the Website, the Website being compatible with IE), then when Firefox comes along, using Standards (good code), some Websites break. Is this Firefox's fault? NO. It's the dumb Webmasters who only coded/tested with IE. Sure, Firefox Devs could make all sites "display fine" in Firefox, but then Firefox would be no better than IE, accepting trash code in & spitting out a nice Website. With IE it's garbage in, nice Website out (cuz the Devs tested with it). With Firefox is garbage in garbage out (so the garbage code they tested on IE is not accepted by Firefox). The Websites need to change their code, not Firefox.

So, when you see a site that "don't work in Firefox", blame the Company/Webmaster who wrote it, not Firefox.

still think IE is at version 6. you yourself acknowledged 6 and 7. not 8 or 9.

...yes, because in my example the news sites don't update the screenshot of their Website...I have not seen a screenshot of IE 8 or 9 in use anywhere. I didn't omit 8 or 9 cuz I didn't think it existed, I know it does. Plus I said "(or any other version of IE)", but I have not seen newer IE's "in the wild" (as in screenshots on YouTube or TV).

Opera

...was payware & adware...which is why I've never used it. They tried to charge for a browser...& failed. (yes, I know it's free NOW)

Safari

...is for Macs. But even then, they should get Firefox too.

Netscape, I loved this browser.

...EXACTLY...Netscape is Firefox, Firefox is Netscape...so why abandon Firefox now? If you would install some of those "useless Addons" you could get your Netscape back! I have.

Zod
  • Members
  • 214 posts
  • Last active: Jan 26 2012 08:02 PM
Guest please support your claims with verifiable facts.

IE until IE8 was better for compatibility mostly because it tolerated poor website design. It tolerated missing doctype declarations or invalid markup. IE8 and 9 are not so forgiving but are faster. Firefox is a stripped and recoded version of netscape but netscape is not firefox. I wonder if "Good code" is more or less forgiving of rookie web site designers
History.

Every browser even Firefox has security exploits. But hackers target the largest population. Currently thats IE but as the market shifts other browser exploits will become more common.

Comparison of web browser vulnerabilitiesWhile firefoxs current version currently has all known exploits patched have a look here and look at the 5 pages of exploits patched with 3.6. Actually look backwards. there are almost always pages of exploits discovered with each version. Just because "KNOWN" exploits are patched does not mean or indicate others do not exist. TheHTTP protocol is inherently insecure. and this is just part of the actual problem that Browsers have been trying to compensate for.

a lot of Firefox's Addons are absolutely necessary.

I wonder why they are called add ons then?

As far as the term web browser feel free to dispute the definitions.
Web browser - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What is browser? - A Word Definition From the Webopedia Computer

.I have not seen a screenshot of IE 8 or 9 in use anywhere.

How would you know it vs IE 7 I wonder?

How would you recommend that I not appear to be an "extremist fanboy" to you?

perhaps without statements like this

But IE is just icky, insecure, trash.

and

But even then, they should get Firefox too.

I personally use multiple browser they all have purposes and advantages. But you seem to think one size fits all. I would argue that even a CONDOM cant accurately say that. Dont beleive me, perhaps you could try one on

tidbit
  • Administrators
  • 2709 posts
  • Hates playing Janitor
  • Last active: Jan 15 2016 11:37 PM

How would you recommend that I not appear to be an "extremist fanboy"

as zod said, don't say things like:

They are too crappy to deserve the term "browser"
IE is just icky, insecure, trash.
I find it so depressing when I see people using IE
I'm happily surprised if it's Firefox! I'm depressed when it's IE 6 or 7 (or any other version of IE)
I feel sorry for the people that use IE
I am HORRIFIED when people CHOOSE to use IE (one question: "why?")
Firefox is the only real "browser"
IE is just shit (& not "the shit", just "shit"). Microsoft couldn't FAIL more at making a browser if the tried.
Oh & Safari & Opera (& anything else) don't count a "browser".

without IE, you would have to go buy a browser

what I mean is: before IE was made and distributed FREE, you had to go to a store and buy a web browser.
If IE wasn't being released FREE and included in the OS, you would have to go to wal-mart, buy a browser software CD (or floppy) so you can go online, THEN download <insert alternate browser here>.

Opera ... was payware & adware...which is why I've never used it. They tried to charge for a browser...& failed. (yes, I know it's free NOW)

Doesn't mean it sucks and is 'not a browser'.
look at Blender3D. once-apon-a-time it costed $$$. now it's free and opensource and can make animations even Pixar is impressed by (they even hired some blender users :D).
Free or Free and Opensource. whatever. all have a $0.00 price tag.

let me also modify something:

So, when you see a site that "don't work in IE", blame the Company/Webmaster who wrote it, not Microsoft.

here's a question:
WHAT makes firefox a browser and NOTHING else (other then netscape..)

also, I've often wondered this: many people have this opinion: "...yes, not open source is one problem."
WHAT exactly is the problem? if its free, its free. you're not wasting any money. how often do you (or any opensource-only user) dive into the source code? and when you do, how often do you modify stuff? if you rarely do, or never, why do you NEED opensource?
I myself prefer only free stuff, but opensource is not a must.

rawr. be very afraid
*poke*
. Populate the AutoHotkey city. Pointless but somewhat fun. .

Frankie
  • Members
  • 2930 posts
  • Last active: Feb 05 2015 02:49 PM
Tidbit, open source projects allow you or anyone else to see what they're putting on your computers. You can't check every programs source thoroughly, but someone will.

If you read about a program in Utilites section, someone might know of a problem because they checked the source. In a proprietary program you don't have that chance. They tell you what helps them.

I'm more trusting of programmers that trust me.
aboutscriptappsscripts
Request Video Tutorials Here or View Current Tutorials on YouTube
Any code ⇈ above ⇈ requires AutoHotkey_L to run

chrisj91
  • Members
  • 398 posts
  • Last active: Jun 03 2015 09:03 AM
Oh dear, I see what you mean by extremism now tidbit, and the worst is, Guest seems to think that there is nothing 'extreme' about the points he makes . . .

Yes, in my opinion Firefox is a great browser, but so is IE, because as tidbit said, what else would you be able to download without having to go out buying another one . . . ??
Plus it does have great compatibility . . .
Chrome is also a good browser, and I haven't used it in ages so my earlier points are probably not even true anymore, and it is uber-quick . . .
Opera sounds promising and I am going to give it a go . . .
As nimda pointed out earlier, if you haven't tried change (and for a reasonable amount of time), then don't argue against it . . .

...a lot of Firefox's Addons are absolutely necessary. Yes, if you tried Firefox without Addons, it probably does suck. I need at least 5-10 Addons to feel comfortable.

Really . . . ??
The only add-on I have is a AVG safe search thingy which came with AVG and an online video downloader/convertor . . .
I used to play around with them when I was younger because it seemed 'cool' to have these add-ons which, at the time, you couldn't get with any other browser (I believe), but I kinda grew out of it and when that wasn't fun, I switched back to IE, then Chrome and have only recently started with FF again . . .
I think that probably the main reason I use it now is because of the 'tabs on top' thing, it is really handy and gives me a lot more view of a webpage . . .
Aside from that, Chrome is as fast and it's compatibility is probably on par now, IE is good compatibility and fairly quick, it's just the start-up time that lets it down a little . . .
It's not that bad, I'm just impatient :p . . .
I don't think that there is much difference, it's just a personal choice and everyone should have that right, and no matter what they choose, it isn't wrong by any means because it is THEIR own preference . . .

I think I'm going to change my sig lol, I do like FF but I kinda don't wanna be associated with someone who gets 'depressed' and 'horrified' at seeing others using different browsers :roll: . . .
Posted Image

Hope this helps / Thanks <-------- (Delete Appropriate)

Chris

• Guests
  • Last active:

Safari

You can download a Windows version of Safari, <!-- m -->http://www.apple.com/safari/download/<!-- m --> 8)

tidbit
  • Administrators
  • 2709 posts
  • Hates playing Janitor
chrisj, that new sig, IMO is awesome :) though I don't get the 'Playstation' out of it, all the symbols are cut in half :lol: but nice colors. It's crypticly good.

I kinda don't wanna be associated with someone who gets 'depressed' and 'horrified'

this is what I always say. it's my main reason to not use FF. I've never said FF was bad, i just don't think it's as good as every fanboy makes it sound.

I'm happy with my 3 browsers :) all got a different purpose.

rawr. be very afraid
*poke*

chrisj91
  • Members
  • 398 posts

chrisj, that new sig, IMO is awesome :) though I don't get the 'Playstation' out of it, all the symbols are cut in half :lol: but nice colors. It's crypticly good.

Thank you tidbit, I saw it and had to *yoink* it lol :D . . .
Yeah, I kinda thought that, may have looked better with full symbols . . . ??
If it had a slogan, I reckon it would be something like: "PS3 - Grab a slice of the action" :lol: . . .

I do like FF, but yeah, it's just another browser really come to think of it . . .
For my preferences it's fine, but it doesn't really stand out above all, like none of the others do either really . . .
I think so long as a browser can get on the internet at a relatively good speed without crashing or failing to load, then it does it's job . . . !!
Posted Image

Chris

chrisj91
  • Members
  • 398 posts
Hey I just downloaded Opera tidbit, and I must admit, it's quite good :D . . . !!

I like the simple layout it has like Firefox, in fact, it's more or less identical . . .

I may start using it a lot more often, it is definitely second on my list now, FF > Opera > IE > Chrome :D . . .

Once I've had more experience with it, I may even replace FF as my main browser if it continues to impress :wink: . . .
Thanks for the info earlier tidbit, I've been meaning to try it for a long time, and now I thought it was time I finally got round to it . . .

Very nice browser :D . . .
Posted Image

Chris

TheDewd
  • Members
  • 842 posts
  • Last active: Jun 10 2016 06:55 PM

Hey I just downloaded Opera tidbit, and I must admit, it's quite good :D . . . !!

I like the simple layout it has like Firefox, in fact, it's more or less identical . . .

I may start using it a lot more often, it is definitely second on my list now, FF > Opera > IE > Chrome :D . . .

Once I've had more experience with it, I may even replace FF as my main browser if it continues to impress :wink: . . .
Thanks for the info earlier tidbit, I've been meaning to try it for a long time, and now I thought it was time I finally got round to it . . .

Very nice browser :D . . .

I find that some pages I visit don't look good in Opera. The browser itself does look pretty though.

chrisj91
  • Members
  • 398 posts

I find that some pages I visit don't look good in Opera. The browser itself does look pretty though.

I'll have to see how it goes, looks pretty decent at the mo . . .
Agreed, the browser itself definitely does have the right look and feel . . .
Posted Image

Chris

tidbit
  • Administrators
  • 2709 posts
  • Hates playing Janitor
westoncampbell, yup :(
but that was covered earlier. lots of devs just ignore it because not many people use it (yet).
luckily, in Operas right-click menu, there is a menu Open With, which lists all/most installed browsers.
quickly open the page in the specified browser.

rawr. be very afraid
*poke*

chrisj91
  • Members
  • 398 posts

luckily, in Operas right-click menu, there is a menu Open With, which lists all/most installed browsers.
quickly open the page in the specified browser.

That's a very neat trick :wink: . . .
Posted Image

Chris

TheGreatSwami Woo
  • Members
  • 237 posts
  • Last active: Jan 22 2012 03:31 PM
I cant seem to get the hang of Operas book mark system (edit -just managed to get them sorted finaly) but I do like it. I started using it as I now find the lastest Firfox slow at playing Youtube vidoes for some reason they often start to stutter and dont in Opera.