Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

AutoHotkey vs. AutoIt?

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic
i542
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Posted Image B)

• Guests
  • Last active:
Posted Image

The grass appears to be bigger than the mountain doesnt mean the mountain is small. It depends on your view.

:|

BoBo¨
  • Guests
  • Last active:
I like your attitude :D
You know that perspective can fool you, but you still seem to think that size matters :lol:

Posted Image

But, hey Jupiter is smaller than Planet Earth, anyone can see it! So it is with AutoIt. Trust me :wink:

MissDirty
  • Guests
  • Last active:
Decided to hunt down AutoIt source. I found some 3.1 old stuff, opened in Visual Studio, very pretty, nice classes, broken down nicely.

Opened AHK source.

You will NEVER ever find AHK allowed into a corporate setting. The code within is horribly designed, spaghetti.

I am off to ask to become one of the AutoIt developers. I understand there are 6-10 of them active.

I also hear they have Vista UAC support and digitally signed binaries.

Hold on AHK, AutoIt's coattails won't hold you forever.

MissD

engunneer
  • Moderators
  • 9162 posts
  • Last active: Sep 12 2014 10:36 PM
we don't need coattails.

AHK does what we want, and if it doesn't maybe we'll try AutoIt.

Why is everyone getting their panties in a knot over this. AHK and AutoIt can ignore each other just fine. Am I missing an actual problem here?

BoBo¨
  • Guests
  • Last active:

I am off to ask to become one of the AutoIt developers

That's great news! Good luck!! 8)

I also hear they have Vista UAC support and digitally signed binaries.

And I heard that there are weapons of mass destruction in iraq, but who knows ?

BoBo¨
  • Guests
  • Last active:
@ MissDirty

Decided to hunt down AutoIt source. I found some 3.1 old stuff, opened in Visual Studio, very pretty, nice classes, broken down nicely.

Thanks for the confirmation that its source was open (for that reason lets call it 'open source') 8)

PhiLho
  • Moderators
  • 6850 posts
  • Last active: Jan 02 2012 10:09 PM
Who care which world is the biggest?
There are probably much more Python programmers or Perl programmers than AutoIt programmers. So what?

And no, the source code was never stolen, or Jon (or people around him) didn't understood the point of the GPL license under which he release the source of AutoIt 3. BTW, Chris still comply to this license, even if very little of the original source remains in the current version.

The code might not win a beauty contest, but it is heavily commented, and efficient. And updated on a very regular basis. When I had to choose between the two languages (end of 2005), AutoIt 3 wasn't updated for months, while AutoHotkey seems to have a very fast response to bug reports.

I am surprised to see there is still lot of resentment (in some people) from the split of the languages, even though they address quite a different public: the differences of syntax should attract different people. It was the primary purpose of AHK: to keep the compatibility with AutoIt 2, which was dropped by AU3.

These arguments (number of users, etc.) are no way to convince somebody to choose one language. It is silly and childish (mine is bigger than your! :p)
Posted Image vPhiLho := RegExReplace("Philippe Lhoste", "^(\w{3})\w*\s+\b(\w{3})\w*$", "$1$2")

Laszlo
  • Moderators
  • 4713 posts
  • Last active: Mar 31 2012 03:17 AM
I don't understand: why you guys respond to trolls? There are trolls, with a hint of intelligence, or wit, or at least have some basis of criticism. But these? They are just plain stupid, who did not read the previous conversation on the same topic, repeat old accusations, do not have any constructive suggestion just try insult and annoy others.

If you have so much free time to even read the garbage these trolls post, let's improve AHK further, instead. With the standard libraries there is enough to do.

AutoGuest
  • Guests
  • Last active:

Who care which world is the biggest?
There are probably much more Python programmers or Perl programmers than AutoIt programmers. So what?

And no, the source code was never stolen, or Jon (or people around him) didn't understood the point of the GPL license under which he release the source of AutoIt 3. BTW, Chris still comply to this license, even if very little of the original source remains in the current version.

The code might not win a beauty contest, but it is heavily commented, and efficient. And updated on a very regular basis. When I had to choose between the two languages (end of 2005), AutoIt 3 wasn't updated for months, while AutoHotkey seems to have a very fast response to bug reports.

I am surprised to see there is still lot of resentment (in some people) from the split of the languages, even though they address quite a different public: the differences of syntax should attract different people. It was the primary purpose of AHK: to keep the compatibility with AutoIt 2, which was dropped by AU3.

These arguments (number of users, etc.) are no way to convince somebody to choose one language. It is silly and childish (mine is bigger than your! :p)

I agree. Each language will attract different people. Personally, I like that Chris keeps AutoHotkey up-to-date, but other people may think differently.

engunneer
  • Moderators
  • 9162 posts

I don't understand: why you guys respond to trolls? There are trolls, with a hint of intelligence, or wit, or at least have some basis of criticism. But these? They are just plain stupid, who did not read the previous conversation on the same topic, repeat old accusations, do not have any constructive suggestion just try insult and annoy others.

If you have so much free time to even read the garbage these trolls post, let's improve AHK further, instead. With the standard libraries there is enough to do.

hear hear!

can a moderator lock this troll thread? (and delete future ones)

SKAN
  • Administrators
  • 9115 posts
  • Last active:

I agree!

can a moderator lock this troll thread? (and delete future ones)

Do we really have to be bothered ? :roll:

bold
  • Members
  • 21 posts
  • Last active: Dec 05 2012 04:37 PM
Did someone really revive this thread? After 13 months? Sad..., he must be really unhappy. Wy don't we just try to cheer him up instead.

bold
  • Members
  • 21 posts
  • Last active: Dec 05 2012 04:37 PM
15 months actually. Is that a record?

engunneer
  • Moderators
  • 9162 posts
I think i have seen older threads dug up.