Sky Slate Blueberry Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate
Photo

AutoHotkey vs. AutoIt?

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic
  • Guests
  • Last active:

(A user recently wrote functions to allow the execution of raw machine code)

You better ask the developers of AutoIt3 to accept a function pointer in DllCall (with dll to ""). I saw it accept already an ordinal number.

FireItBurns
  • Guests
  • Last active:

Hi,

After Reviewing the AutoIT function page, and viewing the examples
I personally think AHK need to "borrow" some needed functions like
The Whole TCP Section :D, Beside that i think AHK is faster and cleaner.

BTW is there an AHK 2.0 on the horizon? :D

Twhyman

Autoit does have some incredible TCP functionality. There have been Client-Server chat programs, I even wrote a type of Remote Administration program that lets you control your computer over the internet using Autoit commands (Like you can control the mouse, keyboard, windows, etc, by using native Autoit commands)

AHKnow*
  • Guests
  • Last active:

Hello. I am a long time user of Autoit3 and regular on the Autoit V3 forums. I'm using an alternate name to protect my identity :oops:

I've heard of the hostility between Autoit and AHK before, and quite frankly, believe it is unnecessarily. Over on the Autoit3 Forums, threads are locked that even mention AHK. Personally, I choose Autoit3, because to me, the Syntax is cleaner, and it is very expendable (A user recently wrote functions to allow the execution of raw machine code)

Ah, AutoHotkey users have played with functions for machine code too- http://www.autohotke...topic21172.html ( Machine code functions: Bit Wizardry )

When the dust settles, AutoHotkey will still have easier syntax and innovative syntax like LOOP and GUI, be faster (for now), be open source, and be about as powerful as AutoIt.

There will always be little things that AutoHotkey has that AutoIt does not have and AutoIt has that AutoHotkey does not, but overall they will be near equal.

A point, is that its all been done before in other programming/scripting languages like Visual Basic, Python, Perl, WinBatch, etc... So in a way, the roadmap of what can be done is kind of clear (though there will be surprises).

It's really a matter of what is easier to learn, easier to user, and faster. So that is why I think AutoHotkey get the nod, though your personal preference may have you choose differently. Which is not an issue, since there is plenty of room for both.

About people saying the users on the forum are vicious:

This is totally a misconception. 90% of the members are really nice people. We do have one hilarious moderator who is able to drop the F bomb whenever necessary, and we can be a little hostile to members who are just learning Autoit to bot online games, but that is only to try to maintain Autoit's good name.

I do know i542 from the forums, and he can be... obnoxious. Heck, he is obnoxious. Katrijn (Posted earlier in the thread) is also a regular member toping off at thousands of posts. You can tell by the way she posted that message that we're not all bad over here.

While only a small group (or group of moderators) on a forum are mean or treat people badly, like say 10%, it still has an impact on users and noobs. It is more than enough to generate a negative vibe and turn people off. Furthermore the "tone" of the forum is often set by the moderators. If they allow it, than it gives a kind of "message".

It's not like people have to use AutoIt, because there are other alternatives. So bashing users, noobs, people needing help, etc... does not mean they have to tolerate it. By having this mentality and negativity, you never know who you are "turning off". You never know what it could mean to the development of your language.

When it comes down to it, people will use AutoHotkey, AutoIt, or whatever programming language they feel like it and does what they need. While part of this is based on technical merit, its not the only reasons, and there are other factors that make a language popular or why people like to use it.

FireItBurns
  • Guests
  • Last active:

When it comes down to it, people will use AutoHotkey, AutoIt, or whatever programming language they feel like it and does what they need. While part of this is based on technical merit, its not the only reasons, and there are other factors that make a language popular or why people like to use it.

And that there is exactly the message i am trying to Convey :D

Honestly, as of right now, i have had to steer away from Autoit as i have switched over to Linux. Still post alot on their forums though.

Like you said, people will use whatever language they like. I just don't believe there should be hostility between our two groups.

Laszlo
  • Moderators
  • 4713 posts
  • Last active: Mar 31 2012 03:17 AM

on the Autoit3 Forums, threads are locked that even mention AHK.

It is stupid, is no it? Do you really want to post to a Forum with such a hostile censorship?

A user recently wrote functions to allow the execution of raw machine code

He links directly to my thread in the AHK Forum:

Here the link to topic I was inspired and where take a CRC32 code: http://www.autohotke...topic21172.html.

If the censor does not pay attention, there seems to be crosspollination.

FireItBurns
  • Guests
  • Last active:

It is stupid, is no it? Do you really want to post to a Forum with such a hostile censorship?

It's not really a censorship, but it seems that whenever AHK is mentioned, some of the Hardcore Au3-over-Ahk lovers get a little bit overactive, and the locks are to prevent arguments.

AHKnow*
  • Guests
  • Last active:
AutoHotkey on Pocket PCs/WinCE http://www.autohotke...topic27146.html (By Sir Knight Micha)

I just think AutoHotkey has reached a point of "explosive upward potential". Even more interesting, this is being done while Chris (the creator) appears to be on vacation.

This also illustrates the power of open-source and the freedom from those being negative about doing something different with the language to a certain extent.

Branch
  • Guests
  • Last active:
I think it's worth pointing out that the creators of WinBatch mysteriously dissappeared! It has been reported that they were actually visitors from a distant planet, Palzerom (our catalog labels it 12.WE-STU). They were what others in my profession call "Wham-bam-thank you ma'ammers". We have uncovered evidence that suggests their race thrives on conflicts by contributing something that seems useful, but in the end creates confusion, anger, and ultimately bloodshed. Please stop with this unproductive violence. I would suggest we all live in peace, but history seems to beat down any idea of harmonic coexistence. Instead, I suggest a type of duel to death. All surviving authors and contributors to any scripting languages that have a hand in this argument must design 3" tall robots that will fight each other to the death. The instructions for operating the robots must be written solely in your language.

Maybe this will put an end to this. It'll atleast be fun to watch, and might get the creator of the winning robot a girlfriend!

sinkfaze
  • Moderators
  • 6367 posts
  • Last active: Nov 30 2018 08:50 PM
I guess that's the two extremes in thought when giving your product a slogan:

Autohotkey: Automation. Hotkeys. Scripting.
WinBatch: Make your Windows sit up and beg!

Seeing as they're portraying Windows as a dog perhaps the word Batch is using the wrong vowel. Or maybe they need to better cater to the hip-hop culture, WinByatch.

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: May 02 2019 09:16 PM
well since this long dead thread insists on living
i sw this and nearly peed myself

Decided to hunt down AutoIt source. I found some 3.1 old stuff, opened in Visual Studio, very pretty, nice classes, broken down nicely.

Opened AHK source.

You will NEVER ever find AHK allowed into a corporate setting. The code within is horribly designed, spaghetti.

I am off to ask to become one of the AutoIt developers. I understand there are 6-10 of them active.

I also hear they have Vista UAC support and digitally signed binaries.

Hold on AHK, AutoIt's coattails won't hold you forever.

MissD

any one wanna guess what i and 11 other individuals do for a living
thats right... ahk programmers in a megga corp
Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

jaco0646
  • Moderators
  • 3165 posts
  • Last active: Apr 01 2014 01:46 AM
tank, you should get me a job! (or at least a summer internship) :lol: I could bring you refreshments and semi-intelligent AHK tips while you work. :p

sinkfaze
  • Moderators
  • 6367 posts
  • Last active: Nov 30 2018 08:50 PM
That's cute tank, guess me and the other two people I'm training to use AHK in our test corporate environment can go home now. Corporations aren't looking for efficiency these days, that's for sure. :wink:

tank
  • Administrators
  • 4345 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: May 02 2019 09:16 PM
if any positions ever posted externally there is a short list of folks i would pm the link to apply too

you said it sinkfaze no one is looking for efficiencies

as far as semi inteligent ahk tips thats my job i would have to learn more from some of you folks :wink:
Never lose.
WIN or LEARN.

bmeeks24
  • Guests
  • Last active:
I have been coding in AHK for about three months and it is SOOOO easy to use. and for the record we are a MONSTER MEGA corporation - and the total freeness of this opened a new door for me to do something I love - Viva AHK!

joedf
  • Administrators
  • 986 posts
  • AutoHotkey Foundation
  • Last active: Jul 18 2017 06:01 PM

why all this!... war! AHHH... lol
i think that the final product should be the concern.. not how you do it.

its actually What your program does thats important! :)

Why ahkscript.org? - autohotkey.com is outdated